HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Which is why you see initiatives like the Hudson Yards rezoning. It's where the next major expansion of commercial space in Midtown will take place. And it has NOTHING to do with height. Skyscrapers are built for practical reasons, and as you should know, it's only practical to build commercial office space up to a certain height. New York is not some "new on the scene" city that needs to build a supertall for the sake of attracting attenion and saying "look at me, I'm a big city too...".
NYguy your rlly missing my point...once the hudson yards is completed Manhattan will be OUT of new developable space so all im implying is that they should build big here to accommodate for Manhattans future. if theres no more space we cant build, and if we cant build to meet the needs of a new era Manhattans role will slowly die out,one of Manhattans greatest advantages is the fact that it always had been able to produce new spaces for buissness and living but we cant continue that tradition without new places to build so why not build big on Manhattans last chance on new undeveloped land so we can continue to provide spaces for new yorkers and the world to work and live.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 2:51 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
NYguy your rlly missing my point....
He actually nailed the point right on the head. Not trying to gang up on you, but your perception is way out of context. I understand your ‘thought process’ on the matter, but it’s not realistic to the actual circumstance. New York will continue to develop and redevelop in order to meet demand, expectation and growth projections. Redevelopment and Manhattan go hand and hand. It’s the nature of the city.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
He actually nailed the point right on the head. Not trying to gang up on you, but your perception is way out of context. I understand your ‘thought process’ on the matter, but it’s not realistic to the actual circumstance. New York will continue to develop and redevelop in order to meet demand, expectation and growth projections. Redevelopment and Manhattan go hand and hand. It’s the nature of the city.
im talking about development without having to redevelop,without needing to tear down time and time again,if there was a time to develop and a chance for NY to finally build larger then the ESB this would be the time.if we've forgotten Nimbys hate it when we tear down anything so rather than doing that we should just build watever we need here and make good use of the space that we have to work with and build large office and residential towers that wil attract new blood to NY.in due time the market will recover and ppl will need new places to invest in NY so why not make them invest in the Hudson yards.its not like NYC doesnt grow in the space it needs. as more ppl move in the more space we will need. this project could either meet the space needs of the next 10 yrs or the next 50 all depending on how much space it has.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 3:14 AM
World Machine

Quote:
im talking about development without having to redevelop
Not the nature of this city and history will tell you that. That’s why the preservation commission was created, to preserve valuable structures and prevent causalities such as Penn Station from occurring again. As I said, in some form or another, the city will find a way to accommodate growth without elimination of what’s worth preserving.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Not the nature of this city and history will tell you that. That’s why the preservation commission was created, to preserve valuable structures and prevent causalities such as Penn Station from occurring again. As I said, in some form or another, the city will find a way to accommodate growth without elimination of what’s worth preserving.
like they do a good job of that,if it was up to them they wouldnt destroy any block of cement placed before 1990.i like the way the city used to think,planning for the future like it did when it allowed buildings like 40 wall st,the ESB and Chrysler to be built. but like i said Manhattan cant magically grow so sooner or later the only place to go is up. population will increase and so will the workforce that will flow in from the city,the country and the world. we will need that space esspecially when the city wont alow places like Soho and Greenwich to be redeveloped.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 1:44 PM
JACKinBeantown

There seems to be plenty of space to build residentials in Jersey City, and the PATH train provides easy and quick transportation into Manhattan.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 3:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
NYguy your rlly missing my point...once the hudson yards is completed Manhattan will be OUT of new developable space
No, I see your point completely. Using your logic, we should build as high as the moon. Not only is it impractical, it doesn't make sense logically, because we are afterall talking about commercial space. Who exactly do you think is going to lease office space on the 200th floor? The bottom line is you're showing a level of naivity about the nature of office space development. It just doesn't make good sense (practically or financially) to build towers that high, or you would see them everywhere.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 4:12 PM

In other words, Shanghai and Dubai. I love the cities and their architecture, but unfortunately they're not built to human scale.

Since we don't rhyme with neither of these cities I see no point in following them.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 4:38 PM

i understand the prascticality of companies leasing large office space, though all im saying is that space wise Manhattan is running out of space so its seems like time to build larger for companies to move in.im not asking for towers that are 2000 ft and up im talking about 1000-1400.even if the towers are residential or commercial at least the city will have a place that will allow for the cities continued growth without redevelopment. besides the site already seems ready to build supertalls (Girasole,Sherwood Equities Towers,World Product Center etc.)

i never said we should be like Dubai or Shanghai...im talking about building for space that will be needed for future jobs and living spaces.

Last edited by NYguy; May 13, 2010 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 3:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
i never said we should be like Dubai or Shanghai...im talking about building for space that will be needed for future jobs and living spaces.
And that's exactly what the Hudson Yards initiative is for Manhattan, the rezoning of Long Island City and Downtown Brooklyn are other examples. You have your head a hundred years into the future, but who's to say today's practice of corporations in office buildings will even be the same? In other words, your obsession over building taller is pointless. Nobody builds offices towers higher than the WTC anymore.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
And that's exactly what the Hudson Yards initiative is for Manhattan, the rezoning of Long Island City and Downtown Brooklyn are other examples. You have your head a hundred years into the future, but who's to say today's practice of corporations in office buildings will even be the same? In other words, your obsession over building taller is pointless. Nobody builds offices towers higher than the WTC anymore.
its not about building big its about building for something we need...if we need 500 ft tall towers here id accept that...if we need 10000 ft towers here id accept that too...i was just saying (for the 10th time) if Manhattans out of space large space will be need on its last frontier...(without redeveloping any part of Manhattan)

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 3:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
its not about building big its about building for something we need...
We don't "need" anything. There's about 30 msf of office space currently waiting to be built. Most of it won't be built anytime soon. As I and others have tried to explain it to you, and you seemingly can't or won't understand, that's about as much space in this thread as we can waste on it. You'll just have to sit back and wait the decades to come to see what get's built and when.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 1:18 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Pension Fund Bets Big on Hudson Yards

By NICK TIMIRAOS
May 26, 2010

Quote:
The developer of an ambitious $15 billion development planned for the Hudson Yards on the west side of Manhattan has secured a Canadian pension fund as an equity partner in a sign of investors' renewed interest in New York City property.

Separately, the site's developer, Related Cos., on Wednesday will enter into a contract to lease the 26-acre rail yards from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, putting a $21.7 million payment into escrow.

The fund, the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System, will provide up to $475 million in equity and replaces Goldman Sachs Group Inc. as Related's lead partner. Goldman, which owns a minority stake in Related and retains an interest in the project, delivered a setback when it unexpectedly limited its investment in January.

Oxford Properties Group, the pension fund's $18 billion real-estate arm, has turned its eye in recent months on U.S. expansion, particularly the Northeast. "This project is one of the best opportunities in America, in one of the last remaining great real-estate parcels" in Manhattan, said E.M. Blake Hutcheson, Oxford's chief executive, in an interview.

The deal with Oxford marks the latest sign that foreign investors are keen on New York. Last month, S.L. Green Realty Corp. sold a $576 million stake in the McGraw-Hill building on Sixth Avenue to Toronto-based Canada Pension Plan Investment Board.

The deal comes two years after Related, after a competition, agreed to a $1 billion deal for a 99-year lease that secured the rights to build 12 million square feet of office, apartment, hotel, and retail space over working rail yards.

Over the past year, Related has received zoning approvals and begun plans to build the deck that must cover the rail yards before construction can move ahead. But the economic downturn had delayed the signing of a formal contract for the project.

With equity in hand, Related and Oxford can turn to raising funds from other partners and signing up tenants for the commercial space. Under an "ideal case" scenario, Related said it would secure a tenant by the end of the year. Building construction would start 18 months later with 2015 as the earliest move-in date for corporate tenants. The total development of the site could take 10 years.

A decade ago, Related shepherded the Time Warner Center development, also on former MTA property, in the face of an uncertain economic environment and the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Jay Cross, who oversees the project for Related, said he was increasingly optimistic that they would sign a tenant this year. "Even though tenants are making due with less space in the new paradigm, they still want state-of-the-art space," he said. "If you're a big tenant, you don't have that many opportunities" in the current Manhattan market.

The signature redevelopment project has long been a priority of Mayor Michael Bloomberg. The city is on-time and on-budget in its extension of the No. 7 subway line to 34th Street and Tenth Avenue, near the northeast end of Hudson Yards.

Under a revised deal with the MTA, Related doesn't have to close on the lease until building construction begins or certain economic triggers are reached. Mr. Cross said the partnership with Oxford and "hearing and seeing" signs of improvement in property markets "would suggest to us we will be under way before the triggers are hit."

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 1:09 AM

i saw a render in the post today...it was kinda..blehhh

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 1:41 AM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 1:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
i saw a render in the post today...it was kinda..blehhh
I don't believe that those are actual renderings of what will be built.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
where do they get them,there horrible!!!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 2:18 AM
BANNED

It's my understanding that they're simply "place holders" like the buildings that were shown in Liebeskind's original site plan for the WTC -- not the actual structures that will be built.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 10:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
No, we are probably years away from seeing anything that will actually get built.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 3:07 AM

my friends who works at the yards told me there closing the site down next week and all workers will have to move elsewhere

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development