HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Bank of America Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 5:42 AM

its begun changing colors at night! i just saw it!!!

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 7:27 PM
World Machine

Hopefully this lighting theme will continue; I’ve come to known that sometimes when a building does have a lighting feature it eventually goes away for one reason or another.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 2:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Both Durst towers are changing colors. Because it's so beautiful, I'll give a link...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johndeg...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johndeg...n/photostream/

jj_1985

kjitty

mgrenner57

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 20, 2010 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 3:17 AM

When did that start? I don't think I noticed it on Friday night...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 4:44 AM

I guess brightly colored lights on cities tallests are going to be one of the defining fads of the 2010s.

NYT's spire needs lights too, the trio would look really cool.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 4:06 PM
New Yorker for life

It has lighting, just not as strong, the spire itself being thinner. I really do like the new lighting though, I hope it stays year 'round. I have a couple of pics/clips I took last week I'll upload later.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 2:32 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...gXJUGjmQwHd06H

Durst trips the lights fantastic on 42nd St.

The Bank of America Tower is now illuminated at night, shifting from blue to green to gold, thanks to energy-efficient lights from Philips.

By STEVE CUOZZO
December 28, 2010

Quote:
The City That Never Sleeps has a new reason to stay up at night.

In the past few days, without fanfare, the Durst Organization lit up the previously dark spire atop 1 Bryant Park, aka the Bank of America Tower, at Sixth Avenue and 42nd Street. The ornamental shaft -- rising to 1,200 feet, taller than the Chrysler Building's -- now pulsates from blue to green to gold.

The ever-shifting hues powerfully punctuate 1 BP's "wall of white" facade lighting that turns night to day.

At the same time, the broadcast antenna of developer Douglas Durst's 4 Times Square next door was similarly illuminated in a surprise move, making for a choreographed duet above 42nd Street. Although Durst was known to be planning something fun for the top of 1 BP, he'd kept the work on 4 TS under wraps.

The effect is arresting from any vantage point. Viewed from the Queens waterfront, for example, 1 BP appears to be courting the Chrysler Building in a graceful pas de deux.

Eventually, Durst told us, he hopes the tower tops will "play off" a proposed illuminated spire at 1 World Trade Center downtown, where he's partnering with the Port Authority. The 1 WTC shaft will reach to a symbolic 1,776 feet above ground.

Durst's $3.5 million Midtown lighting scheme was created by Cline Bettridge Bernstein Lighting Design and installed during the course of a year by Fred Geller Electrical. The spires are lit from dusk to midnight. Like the rest of 1 Bryant Park, which is LEEDS Platinum-Certified, the lights are energy-efficient.

The 368 LED floodlights on the tower tops are made by Philips Color Kinetics. The total power consumption of about 18.4 KW is believed to be much less than at other illuminated skyscraper tops.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 8:23 PM
New Yorker for life

December 20, 2010

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 11:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 12:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:30 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...rk_real_estate

A Hedge Grows in Midtown

Chess players and other visitors to the Urban Garden Room at Bank of America Tower's street-level atrium.

January 10, 2011

Quote:
If your landscape architect came up to you and said, "I've got a great idea. You just spent a billion dollars on this building. Why don't we make a Chia Pet its centerpiece!" you'd probably find a new landscape architect. But to the credit of the Durst Organization, developers of the Bank of America Tower on the northwest corner of 42nd Street and Avenue of the Americas, they told Margie Ruddick to go for it.

The result is one of the city's newest, oddest and—judging by the number of people reading, having lunch there, and playing chess amid its towering topiary on a recent afternoon—more successful public spaces. The verdant structures, though polite company would more likely call them sculpture, even living art, and ranging from 7-foot monoliths to a 25-foot arch, were created by constructing steel cages with a built-in irrigation system. Then they were filled with soil and covered in porous fabric. Finally they were hand-planted with thousands of ferns, mosses, lichens, etc.

However, these heroic hedges—Stonehenge on the Hudson, if you will—weren't the Durst Organization's first choice. "We wanted to have park trees here," explained vice president Helena Rose Durst. "We couldn't have a true garden. The shade would kill it."

The problem was that the space reserved for the urban garden, opened in 2010, faced north and east and was in a part of Manhattan better known for towering skyscrapers than natural light and open skies. "Also," added Ms. Ruddick, "they're going to be pointing toward the sun within a couple of years," perhaps giving the impression that the garden and the entire environmentally friendly Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design platinum-rated building was listing south. "That really wasn't an option."

Approximately three-quarters of the plants died and had to be replaced soon after they were installed. Even today they require constant vigilance, though hardier, more opportunistic plants, such as ivy, have happily filled the voids where more fragile specimens have withered. "Coming from the environment of a greenhouse," observed Ms. Durst, who grows tomatoes on the building's roof, approximately 1,000 feet in the air, "I don't think it took us completely by surprise."

"When you have a green wall you can't just walk away," Ms. Ruddick said. "This had tremendous tweaking. This is not for the faint of heart. But if you'd planted trees and ground cover you wouldn't have gotten this amount of green."
Ms. Ruddick would have had her work cut out for her no matter what. New York's urban gardens and vest-pocket parks are littered with the best intentions of architects who might previously have been on a winning streak. Most have been successful—successful at making people wish they lived and worked closer to an actual park.

"One of the things that inspired me," the landscape architect said, "was Jeff Koons's 'Puppy.'" She was referring to a giant 43-foot assemblage of paws, ears and flowering plants that graced Rockefeller Center during the summer of 2000. Hopefully, Ms. Ruddick meant the scale and the fact they managed to keep the foliage alive rather than the subject matter. If you'd simply moved the pooch to the Bank of America Tower, and even added a couple of kittens (may it rest in peace, though for all I know it's lifting its leg beside some monster fire hydrant in Ukraine or Dubai, if the rest of Mr. Koons's oeuvre is any indication), it wouldn't have worked.

"The real challenge here," Ms. Ruddick confided, "was how to do this without being kitschy."

I wondered whether they had considered a water feature. I love water features. The fastest way to serve up nature in a confined space is an indoor waterfall; even a trickle of the stuff over polished stones will do. "There's occupied space below," Ms. Ruddick explained. "Everybody was like, 'We're not even going there.'

"We wanted it to be something you could walk through," she added, but when they did the maquette, the model of the arch, it looked slightly, well, dorky. "I said we really need to get a sculptor on the team."

And she knew just the right person—her own mother, Dorothy Ruddick. She had studied with Josef Albers at Black Mountain College, designed fabrics for Knoll, and was perhaps best known for her sculptures of draped female figures reminiscent of ancient Greek statuary. Dorothy Ruddick's solution to the prosaic arch problem: add a twist, literally. Give it a bit of a bend.

"That one twist," said Ms. Ruddick, who worked with Montreal-based Mosaiculture International on the problem, "cost us three months of engineering time. "This is a sculptural one-off. This is not something you repeat."

Frankly, I don't know whether pedestrians taking a time-out from the passing tumult of city life on the couple of afternoons I dropped by appreciated the arch any more than if it had remained at right angles. They seemed almost as drawn by the chairs—the same models as across the street in Bryant Square Park, intentionally so because the Dursts wanted to reflect and perhaps piggyback off that open space's success. Indeed, the presence of the chess players suggested the Bank of America Tower atrium had become a winter months' alternative to the park.

"The language that's gone along with a lot of these buildings is a corporate minimalism," Ms. Ruddick said, referring to much of the city's lackluster recent architectural history, as she stood in the shadows, or should I say shade, of her teeming creation. "This was a little bit our push back."

—ralph.gardner@wsj.com

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 6:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:41 PM

I'm glad they built it. I'm old school and remember the pizza/t+mobile/daffy's/tax process/doughnuts bullshit at the site serving the tourist crowd.

But it's bland and whatever, ~sorry~ "Tall and Bland and Whatever"!

Tall and Bland and Bryant Park and bland and tall park and bryant and tall and bland and park bryant.....lalala

Generic.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:54 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymike View Post
I'm glad they built it. I'm old school and remember the pizza/t+mobile/daffy's/tax process/doughnuts bullshit at the site serving the tourist crowd.

But it's bland and whatever, ~sorry~ "Tall and Bland and Whatever"!

Tall and Bland and Bryant Park and bland and tall park and bryant and tall and bland and park bryant.....lalala

Generic.
Bland wouldn’t be my word of choice for this building, considering what its neighbors look like up and down that stretch of 6th Avenue. If this building is bland, then what are your thoughts on the designs of its boxy neighbors?

And I’m a huge fan of 60’s-70’s International architecture.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:21 PM

Quote:
And I’m a huge fan of 60’s-70’s International architecture.
Well there you go, to each his own.

But it has none of the caveat of the Rockefeller 8th Ave Towers IMHO.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:25 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Well there you go, to each his own.
So you can’t answer my questions then and justify your stance? Take another look at the picture above with BofA and the Grace Building, and you tell me which is blander.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:34 PM

I already answered your question, succinctly. It's a matter of taste.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:41 PM
World Machine

Quote:
I already answered your question, succinctly. It's a matter of taste.
Then I’m very curious as to what you consider to be a building that isn’t bland; in New York or elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:49 PM

Big Willy, here in Brooklyn. I also love the Seagram. I'm eclectic that way!

Dac, I'm a NY'er and my point wasn't to denigrate the BOA, but it is simply not my taste.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture