HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:55 PM

Sure whatever it is.

Like I said, it's ridiculous when there's a line of people and it's all parents with their kids, students, etc.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sure whatever it is.

Like I said, it's ridiculous when there's a line of people and it's all parents with their kids, students, etc.
Well I would feel safer leaving my child read a book alone today as opposed to last year..

University and public libraries have security all over the world. Everyone is welcome but just no weapons or alcohol. Anyone who wants to read a book or access information can buy into the security in place. No one’s liberty is being infringed upon.

Sorry but the library while for everyone, is NOT designed to be a social services warehouse for our most needy members of society. That service I believe, is being planned by the over generous private owners of Portage Place.

Treat everyone the same which means “wand” all patrons...

I’m really ok with that and if one is not, I suggest they read a magazine at shoppers drug mart.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:25 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Well said.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:46 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Does anyone know what the security system is at the new Calgary central library? Or other downtown libraries for that matter? I heard the Calgary one had something, but I'm not sure what that is. Whatever they do, I haven't heard complaints about it.
I think the best "security system" is just being busy and having lots of people around, including children and families. That is a big disincentive for disruptive behaviour.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:11 PM

It's a said state of affairs when you need to wand children, search their bags, etc to enter a library. Even the library said it was a mistake.

Also, leaving a child unattended in a public place like that is bad news regardless of security.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 8:03 PM

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that children / families get to bypass the security screening.

Part of the decision to potentially pull back on the security levels is the library has seen a drop off in the use of the Carol Shields Auditorium by various groups since the security measures were implemented.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
University and public libraries have security all over the world. Everyone is welcome but just no weapons or alcohol. Anyone who wants to read a book or access information can buy into the security in place. No one’s liberty is being infringed upon.
Generally true, but UWinnipeg library, for example, doesn't have metal detectors and security guards searching bags and wanding patrons. Why is this level of security necessary at one downtown library, but not the other? Sure, UW has security guards patrolling around campus and cameras, but it's essentially a wide open building - no need to check in with security upon entry. I'm just curious why the security protocols are so different, yet both operate in the downtown/innter city.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Generally true, but UWinnipeg library, for example, doesn't have metal detectors and security guards searching bags and wanding patrons. Why is this level of security necessary at one downtown library, but not the other? Sure, UW has security guards patrolling around campus and cameras, but it's essentially a wide open building - no need to check in with security upon entry. I'm just curious why the security protocols are so different, yet both operate in the downtown/innter city.
The U of W doesn't operate a public library... it's intended for faculty and students. That isn't to say that people who aren't associated with the university can't enter, but it's a very different situation than what you see at the Millennium Library. Or at least that's how it was when I was a student.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that children / families get to bypass the security screening.

Part of the decision to potentially pull back on the security levels is the library has seen a drop off in the use of the Carol Shields Auditorium by various groups since the security measures were implemented.
I've definitely seen kids and families being searched. No idea what the policy is though.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Go to the UofW library and see how many non-students just walk in off the street. It's not very many. It's hidden inside the campus, most homeless people probably don't even know it's there.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:07 PM

Interesting Global/CJOB article about Shindico/CF and WAA fighting over residential development near the airport:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6593964/w...attle-airport/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting Global/CJOB article about Shindico/CF and WAA fighting over residential development near the airport:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6593964/w...attle-airport/
This will be a very interesting story to watch as it unfolds. I imagine major commercial centre owners like Cadillac Fairview are getting nervous about the rise of online shopping and recognize that re-purposing commercial lands near their centres to attract residents will provide both an alternative revenue stream and increase foot traffic at their commercial holdings, which is a win-win for them. The caveat here, of course, is that airport noise is a concern and the WAA doesn't want their own growing business operations potentially limited by new development.

I see the struggle on both sides and I want both to succeed. Personally I think that the development should be allowed to proceed if city council can create a bylaw that will ensure all future noise complaints about airport traffic are fully ignored and no airport operations will be impacted by any amount of residents complaining.

If the airport can continue to operate normally and Cadillac Fairview knows that a market exists for residences that close to the airport on the assumption that noise complaints will be fully ignored, then I think both parties can walk away happy with this development.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy I suppose.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:34 PM

There should be a bylaw put in place that when development occurs within the airport zones, the tenants must sign as part of their lease or whatever it is, that they are aware they are within the airport flight paths, etc.

For new and existing buildings. There would likely be push back from the owners as this could result in tenants backing out. But would protect the airport, which IMO is more important. But could be a good compromise.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:34 PM

I'd be curious to know how much of an issue airport noise complaints are currently? There are thousands of people living under flight paths which have probably been there longer than all but a tiny handful of the oldest residents. Are they complaining on the regular? What would be the impact of adding a few thousand more people to the area? How would that affect the airport's operations any more than the existing residents?

I get not building highrises on Mount Royal directly under the runway 36 approach or whatever other extreme example, but surely there is room for compromise here.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'd be curious to know how much of an issue airport noise complaints are currently? There are thousands of people living under flight paths which have probably been there longer than all but a tiny handful of the oldest residents. Are they complaining on the regular? What would be the impact of adding a few thousand more people to the area? How would that affect the airport's operations any more than the existing residents?

I get not building highrises on Mount Royal directly under the runway 36 approach or whatever other extreme example, but surely there is room for compromise here.
I lived on mount royal for 2 years and it was a non-issue for us. It's background noise that you don't really notice. Same with living next to the trains. Get used to it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:57 PM

My inlaws leave really close to the airport in Montreal. Whenever I visit I'm amazed by how close the plans get going in for a landing, but yeah, the people who live there don't notice it at all. I believe there are restrictions there for size of plane landing overnight.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 7:50 PM
Winnipeg

According to the link provided the airport wants to exploit the lucrative freight business, so they want to build a third runway in the future. Polo Park’s plan seems to interfere with that.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 1:45 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
According to the link provided the airport wants to exploit the lucrative freight business, so they want to build a third runway in the future. Polo Park’s plan seems to interfere with that.
Not really. We're decades away from that anyways. It seems short sighted to hold an entire area hostage for the possibility of noise complaints. If they really wanted to do that they'd better show us the cash soon, cause I'm not convinced that its operationally necessary to drive people's land values down because they're scared of pressure.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 3:14 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
There was a third runway. It was torn out some years ago.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 4:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
There was a third runway. It was torn out some years ago.
It was really short and in the wrong configuration for heavy jets. Part of it is used as the apron for the new terminal building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan