HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:39 PM

Right, right. Allard likes cycling so I guess that's it for him in rrskylar's eyes.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Right, right. Allard likes cycling so I guess that's it for him in rrskylar's eyes.
Oh right, because Allard is all for narrowing streets for bike lanes and for destroying the character of older neighbourhoods with ill conceived infill housing he would make a terrific mayor, fortunately the civic majority see his flaws unlike the majority who frequent this site.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:14 PM

Destroying the character by developers removing crummy, run down houses. I think we'd all agree there needs to be a strategy for doing it. Not just St. B NMBY's who don't want anything to change and have their neighbourhood in endless decline.

I frequent St. B a lot as my wife's family is there. 2 doors done from grandmas house they tore down said crummy, run-down house that was never maintained. Grass NEVER cut. EVER. Other people would go and do it. It's now a 3 storey apartment block and it's great. That's in Allards ward.

Allard's a progressive. If that's his fault then I'll gladly take that any day.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:19 PM

Our streets should be narrowed. Look beyond Winnipeg. One of our really bad qualities is our wide streets.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
The best endorsement of Allard I can think of!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Destroying the character by developers removing crummy, run down houses. I think we'd all agree there needs to be a strategy for doing it. Not just St. B NMBY's who don't want anything to change and have their neighbourhood in endless decline.

I frequent St. B a lot as my wife's family is there. 2 doors done from grandmas house they tore down said crummy, run-down house that was never maintained. Grass NEVER cut. EVER. Other people would go and do it. It's now a 3 storey apartment block and it's great. That's in Allards ward.

Allard's a progressive. If that's his fault then I'll gladly take that any day.
Obviously there is nothing wrong with infill housing replacing decrepit and derelict substandard homes, in my neighbourhood that has happened and it's great but that's not always the case. Many times perfectly good homes are removed for the sole purpose of lot splitting to maximize profits for a developer with no vested interest in the neighbourhood, so a smaller home, affordable for a younger or lower income individuals is removed. Many of the homes on split lots are totally inaccessible to anyone with physical barriers or mobility issues aside from the cost. So lets not all pretend all infill housing is great!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
The best endorsement of Allard I can think of!
Fortunately the overwhelming majority are smart enough to realize that only a miniscule percentage of the population will ever use the new bike lanes despite what the small overly vocal bike lobby of entitled white guys between 25 and 50 think!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:44 AM
Formerly rypinion

I think you're (likely intentionally) confusing the people on $3000 bikes riding up and down Roblin each weekend with the people who actually want and use bike lanes.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
I think you're (likely intentionally) confusing the people on $3000 bikes riding up and down Roblin each weekend with the people who actually want and use bike lanes.
What people that use the bike lanes? Most see little to no use, on the other hand AT trails that I frequent are heavily used and where the majority of cycle infrastructure funding should go! Really hard to convince many of you that as a winter city year round cycling/cycle commuting is only for a handful of hearty (foolish) few!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 5:24 PM

Just read this article:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...572911751.html

The article cites differences in how police forces record data. Tbh whoever the next mayor is I'd be happy if they could find a way to bring us into the middle of the pack of the country. At least don't be the worst lol. I feel like we've been topping these kinds of lists for as long as I remember.

I know these discussions can turn kind of ugly but is there something that police or government do in Ontario, BC and Quebec to keep their statistics low? The prairies always seem to top the lists in terms of crime. Is the main difference that proportionately there's a lot more poor people here compared to Ontario, Quebec and BC? I don't know if that's even true.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:04 PM

There's lineups on the Garry Street bike lane every day, still. The Bannatyne one is outside my office and many light cycles have one or several people going through.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:49 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...katz-1.5781759

The lefties, including our (not) "conservative" Mayor and Allard voted against the baseball park lease tax deal.

So again, what would an Allard administration bring to Winnipeg mayoral leadership that would move Winnipeg forward and not backwards?

Either way, I guess its gonna cost more $ to see the Goldeyes play.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...katz-1.5781759

The lefties, including our (not) "conservative" Mayor and Allard voted against the baseball park lease tax deal.

So again, what would an Allard administration bring to Winnipeg mayoral leadership that would move Winnipeg forward and not backwards?

Either way, I guess its gonna cost more $ to see the Goldeyes play.
Glad to see that minor league baseball is the #1 issue facing this city.

Can't believe these a-holes want to see Katz's financial information before we grant him subsidies. I mean he's always been above board.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:48 PM

Mayes made it sound like the City was going to stuck with the cost of running an empty ballpark indefinitely if a deal wasn't reached, but I have a hard time believing that they couldn't have either found a) a willing tenant (hell, put Valour FC in there.), or b) someone interested in demolishing the stadium and redeveloping the site. It's a good location right between Portage and Main, and The Forks.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsmith View Post
glad to see that minor league baseball is the #1 issue facing this city.

Can't believe these a-holes want to see katz's financial information before we grant him subsidies. I mean he's always been above board.
+1

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
Glad to see that minor league baseball is the #1 issue facing this city.

Can't believe these a-holes want to see Katz's financial information before we grant him subsidies. I mean he's always been above board.
On the one hand I'm glad a deal was reached, but It seems Katz was able to scare enough councillors into giving him another sweetheart deal.

If this vote is any indication, the next couple of years at city hall will be political jockeying by everyone who thinks they will be the next Mayor. IMO announcing his intention not to run was another pretty large gaffe by Bowman, making him a 2-year lame-duck Mayor.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:09 PM

Damn those pesky lefties. Wanting to be sure we're not giving a private company taxpayer dollars for nothing.

Whhhhhyyy?? Won't someone please think of the children?!!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Damn those pesky lefties. Wanting to be sure we're not giving a private company taxpayer dollars for nothing.

Whhhhhyyy?? Won't someone please think of the children?!!
LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFqhjaGh30

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Mayes made it sound like the City was going to stuck with the cost of running an empty ballpark indefinitely if a deal wasn't reached, but I have a hard time believing that they couldn't have either found a) a willing tenant (hell, put Valour FC in there.), or b) someone interested in demolishing the stadium and redeveloping the site. It's a good location right between Portage and Main, and The Forks.
There's also a woodbat summer collegiate league in Western Canada that would love to add Winnipeg. There's little risk of not having a tenant IMO. Especially when the Goldeyes basically get the stadium for nothing but maintenance. If no one is using it far less maintenance needed and if that becomes a problem like you say, sell the land!

99% of people who go to Goldeyes games would not even notice a difference in play to a collegiate summer league. Lots of future big leaguers come through the summer leagues as amateurs, star players, probably more big leaguers come through that level than the indy pro leagues like where the Goldeyes play.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:18 PM

I'm glad they rejected it, Katz wants to lock in the rights to parking for 15–25 years, that doesn't seem like a smart plan with all that should be happening in that area in the next 5-10.

That parking lot in the median of Pioneer could end up being a key transit station if EBRT plan ends up being centre-run busses down Provencher.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan