HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 1:36 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
You need to get out and exp. what is happening in the 'real' world....this project is fast tracked and the team that is successful WILL be fully committed to the GoA timelines. Change can be beneficial.
I have worked directly on a project that was done similar to this and do this for a living.

Thanks.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:37 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Fast tracked projects with concurrent construction and design are very difficult and carry a higher risk premium in the bid associate to the risk of re-work. Change in construction, in my experience, is rarely beneficial once the shovels hit the dirt and requires very careful management. I've had the oppurtunity to talk to a few senior people involved in P3s and Design-builds on projects of this budget and higher, they are not easy and very challenging for all parties.
My experience with multiple "bid packages" on design build projects leads me to believe that you are correct

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:19 PM

Just going over the HVAC requirements for Museums is quite daunting. To properly design the hvac you would need to have at least 75% of the design done. Putting that back into late fall early winter. Best we could see by fall is the start of demoing the post office.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:30 PM

Depending on the design, they could proceed with demo, excavation, foundations. The major issue being, if it was some ultra uniqe above ground structural design and that has progressed to 25%, then there could be major impacts to the loads, stresses, etc, put on the foundations requiring either in process changes or rework. This was the case for the Human Rights Museum in Winnipeg, really interesting story there on how they mitigated and the amount of RFIs and issues it cause.

Things can be mitigated through building a more standarded design, or building more standard sections of the design first. I still believe you can still achieve a remarkable design in doing so.

Back to the actual reality, there is no point to push into construction for fall anyways. The cost due to heating, hoarding and related productivity of piling and pouring concrete in the winter season means that outside of demolishing and perhaps some excavation, major construction will most likely not proceed until early spring. If the client pushes for this early start, those additional costs will be reflected in either reductions in expenditures for the end product design, other disciplines, finishes or a higher overall costs.

Allowing the design team time to advance and allowing the constructor to create a schedule that actually suits out climate and therefore delivers maximized productivity will allow for greatest bang for the buck. Common sense, you bet, but something often forgot by Clients who set strict timelines that these projects MUST meet. Ideally I hope the GOA gives them a window to work in and let the consultants and constructors do what they do best, design, plan and execute the work.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 3:23 PM
Community Guy

Public input needed to help shape local landmark

Royal Alberta Museum design selection process should be transparent

BY PAULA SIMONS, EDMONTON JOURNAL JULY 7, 2011 9:02

STORYPHOTOS ( 8 )

More Images »

Toronto's Bata Shoe Museum was designed by Moriyama and Teshima, who will team up with PCL for a Royal Alberta Museum.
Photograph by: Malcolm Taylor, for Postmedia News, File, edmontonjournal.com
This week, Alberta Infrastructure put out a short list of the four design consortiums selected to compete for the commission to build a new $340-million Royal Alberta Museum downtown, on the site of the old post office, a property the city has just purchased from Canada Post.

For architecture buffs, the shortlist makes for mouth-watering, even jaw-dropping reading.

Each of the four bids is anchored by a major western Canadian contractor: EllisDon, Graham Builders, Ledcor and PCL. But three of those four builders have partnered with big-name "starchitects" from across Canada and around the world, architects who have built international reputations for their museums, embassies, concert halls, churches, and other public buildings.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/trave...129/story.html

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:37 AM

I agree with Paula Simons for once. Hell has frozen over.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Ducker View Post
I agree with Paula Simons for once. Hell has frozen over.
indeed...she must have got in touch with her inner self and used the right part of her brain and the left. Refreshing.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 7:09 PM
DRINK

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 7:22 PM

I don't feel strongly for any of them. I think I was looking for something that would jump out at me right away. And as much as I dislike ED thier's is the only one that I even remotly like. Graham's looks like a research centre. I do like elements of all of them just not enough to YooHoo about.

My 2 cents

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 7:26 PM

I also like Ledcor's the best.

Graham submission looks like a hospital, while PCL looks like a larger version of the TransAlta ArtsBarn. EllisDon is just...unremarkable.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 7:50 PM

Jaw hits the floor, and not in a good way.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 7:56 PM

I agree with Airboy. None of them really stand out, although they're all not bad, either. I was hoping for something like the AGA design competition where there would be some out there and more unique proposals.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 8:13 PM

Ellis Don would be my vote, although I agree that the proposals are quite underwhelming. The Ellis Don design strikes me as being the most inviting and interesting. The other three seems a little to cold and blocky. A few too many large empty square walls and no colour. I'm not sure what I was hoping for, but none of these are it...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 8:16 PM
HVAC guru

I like Ledcor and Ellis Don

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 8:32 PM

I'd be willing to go with any of them, except for the Graham. If I had to pick one, it would be, in order:

1. EllisDon
1a. PCL
1b. Ledcor
4. Graham

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 8:43 PM
Community Guy

Ellis and the rest much further down... Definitely a product of the process.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 8:45 PM

Hummmm...

Meh...

Meh....

Meh.....

Meh......

Really....thats it!

P.s for the record I have just sent an Email and phoned Alberta Infrastructure regarding my displeasure with all designs.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 9:36 PM

Kind of disappointed. They seemed to off the mark. Doesn't appear that one of them will have a good terminus view looking north on 99 street.
Guess I was hoping for a little more. Nothing stands out, not very imaginative, would not leave a lasting memory, no real "place making"
fail
fail
fail
fail
You can do better
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 9:43 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Was kind of hoping for some consideration to the vernacular in the designs, it being a provincial museum and all. I can't get into Ellis Don's design, it just hits me with a stye in its design. Ledcor looks the least blockiest from the vantage point of City Hall/Churchill Square.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 10:21 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I don't think I like any of them too much, except maybe for Ellis. But even then, that brown "veiling" on the Ellis proposal just looks weird to me and it's too brown. Kind of reminds me of rust, actually.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton