HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 3:19 AM
Community Guy

Also, we need more ramen and quick curry places please and thank you.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:02 PM
DRINK

Just a reminder about this event coming up. Some tickets still left.

City Market Downtown collaborates with Edmonton chefs for Bissell Centre fall fundraising feast

At September 12, 2014
By Staff
In News, Stories

City market downtownAs harvest season is in full swing, the City Market Downtown will be joined by five of Edmonton’s innovative culinary up and comers to host a fundraising event for Bissell Centre on Sunday, Oct. 5.

The Edmonton-based chefs have created a fall-harvest specific menu based on seasonal produce and proteins found exclusively at the City Market Downtown. The dinner, which will be hosted at SABOR Restaurant, will include seafood direct from Iceland and farm-raised pork and beef, the freshest ingredients direct from market vendors

“This exciting event is to raise awareness and funds for the Bissell Centre, a organization near and dear to our vendors and customers,” says Dan Young, board chair of City Market Downtown. “It makes sense for us in partner with some of the best and brightest in Edmonton’s food scene to organize a family-style harvest feast to raise funds for the important work being done at the Bissell Centre each day.”

The Bissell Centre is one of Edmonton’s most important non-profit human services agencies. With its focus on elevating society’s most vulnerable out of poverty, the Bissell Centre provides supports that range from child and family services, drop-in services, employment services and housing initiatives. Bissell Centre also feeds 500–700 individuals a day, which translates to 140,000 meals annually. The Bissell Centre’s vision is to eliminate poverty in the community, guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well being of each individual. Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust with a mission to work with others to empower people to move from poverty to prosperity. The centre enables people to meet their own basic daily needs, participate in community, have sustainable livelihoods, feel hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life.

Collaborative menu at the dinner will be designed by:
•Chef Bryan Cruz – The Marc
•Chef Edgar Gutierrez – Tres Carnales and Rostizado
•Chef Brayden Kozak – Three Boars
•Chef Adelino (Lino) Oliviera – SABOR Restaurant
•Chef Charla Padilla – Madison’s Grill

The harvest feast will also include special guest Chef Pierre Lamielle from Calgary, a recent Chopped Canada champion and Top Chef Canada competitor. He is co-owner of foodonyourshirt.com with partner Candace Bergman.

There are a limited number of tickets available, so don’t delay! Click here to buy your tickets!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:07 AM

Edmonton Petroleum Club is shutting down at the end of the year, according to Global

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:23 AM
Community Guy

Was there for a meeting and lunch today, was of its time, today it is not sadly.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 4:51 AM

Heard chef (forgot her name) is opening up her own restaurant.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 12:41 PM

I wish the City would buy the property and a&dub for a park. It would be great to see the openness from all of the angles the roads intersect in the area.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 4:28 PM

More on the Petroleum Club
http://globalnews.ca/news/1604382/ed...shutting-down/

Maybe they can move into the old Edmonton Club building across from the Hotel Mac. But I have a feeling they'll move to the burbs.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:59 AM

Journal article on Petroleum Club closure:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...506/story.html

I get the impression from this article that they want to move downtown, on the top floor of a tower.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 12:37 PM
HVAC guru

^ I think that's a musing more than a directive.

However though, I think I have the perfect spot for this group at the top of one of my buildings

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:14 PM
Community Guy

Their locations sucks, moving more centrally might assist.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:47 PM
HVAC guru

The location used to be stellar due to the proximity to CCA

Now that the airport is gone, the location advantage is gone

The property is underutilized for it's location and size anyways

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 8:32 PM

^Great redevelopment site.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:53 AM

Sam Tabet of Cafe Beirut opening in the old Cafe de Ville location
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ille-location/

Quote:
Sam Tabet, a long-time Edmonton restaurateur, is remodelling the space once occupied by Cafe de Ville at 10137-124 St. and relaunching soon as Cafe Beirut. Previously, Sam owned two locations of Cafe Beirut (one on Whyte Ave. and the other downtown at 112 St.). He has sold both locations and is concentrating on the 124th St. restaurant.

“I’m doing a lot of changes to have a Mediterranean, and a Lebanese, flair and taste,” says Tabet, noting the menu will be the same as in the other two locations.

He’s made quite a few decor upgrades, including new curtains, carpets on the walls and stone work. Saturday nights, there will be entertainment in the restaurant, with Sam playing the keyboard and singing, and Mediterranean fusion dancers appearing also.

The move is a big change for Tabet, whose previous incarnations of Cafe Beirut were smaller; the Whyte Ave. location had only 20 seats, and the 112th St. eatery had 40 seats. The new Cafe Beirut has 68 seats inside, and 50 on the patio.

Tabet hopes to have the restaurant open by Nov. 1.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 3:34 PM

Restaurateurs making it on 104th Street: Downtown’s buzziest neighbourhood poses risk and reward
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...265/story.html

Interesting article.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:29 AM

Took a ride on the Sushi Train this evening. They are on 107 St just south of 104 Ave, just around the corner from the Happy Harbor comic store.

They are what you expect from a conveyor belt sushi joint - plates priced by plate color, a couple of sushi chefs in the middle, and a waitress attending to drinks. The sushi was good, though not quite to the level as some other places like Sushi Wasabi. The waitress was top-notch. Tea is complimentary. 9 plates of sushi plus a small sake was about $49 plus tip.

My only gripe was that sushi dishes were not being replaced on the belt, but maybe that was because I and another couple were the only ones there. Maybe that explained why I was given a free plate of sashimi! They are obviously still trying to attract a customer base, and they have all kinds of specials. They must have been hurt by some early bad reviews.

I say give them a chance if you haven't done so yet. I might go back. Personally I love conveyor belt sushi because I don't have to wait for my grub.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Took a ride on the Sushi Train this evening. They are on 107 St just south of 104 Ave, just around the corner from the Happy Harbor comic store.

They are what you expect from a conveyor belt sushi joint - plates priced by plate color, a couple of sushi chefs in the middle, and a waitress attending to drinks. The sushi was good, though not quite to the level as some other places like Sushi Wasabi. The waitress was top-notch. Tea is complimentary. 9 plates of sushi plus a small sake was about $49 plus tip.

My only gripe was that sushi dishes were not being replaced on the belt, but maybe that was because I and another couple were the only ones there. Maybe that explained why I was given a free plate of sashimi! They are obviously still trying to attract a customer base, and they have all kinds of specials. They must have been hurt by some early bad reviews.

I say give them a chance if you haven't done so yet. I might go back. Personally I love conveyor belt sushi because I don't have to wait for my grub.

So about 25 pp. Were the portions adequate for the 2 of you? I wonder if they have lunch specials or the prices are fixed all day?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:53 AM

Didn't go with anyone, I flew solo. Each plate had two pieces. I am full, but I wasn't super-hungry before, thanks to having one of those big Italian Centre panini sammiches for lunch today!

They have a 20% lunch special.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:59 PM
Community Guy

GoGos lounge now open in the former Razzleberries on 104st in the Milner.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 7:27 PM
Community Guy

State & Main no longer going into 101st/Jasper?

http://www.stateandmain.ca/#location

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
State & Main no longer going into 101st/Jasper?

http://www.stateandmain.ca/#location
That is no surprise to me...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton