HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
That building has been on our Realtor's sh*t list for years! Rumours of constant envelope issues so good for the owners!
It's a woodframe, so I'm not surprised. If I had the foresight, I'd have purchased a unit that an owner was desperate to get rid of for cheap, then enduring a few months of paying special strata levies and maintenance, and finally receiving a windfall!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Yvr View Post
It's much nicer in person, plus it's full of people now which wasn't shown in the images. That added with the full restaurant patios creates a lively and fun place to be. The light poles have dance club light effects attached to them, which creates a vibrant, animated atmosphere at night.

Also bear in mind that it's designed to host a variety of programs, so flexible space is needed. It's pretty impressive all around IMO.
I actually like the way it is set up, ringed with activity, but not cluttered. I think that adding too many "features" could make it feel over designed and, in a way, less welcoming.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 1:05 AM

Pacific Centre's Atrium

Anyone have any in-site on this?

CBC - PC Atrium

Straight.com - PC Atrium

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannick View Post
Anyone have any in-site on this?

CBC - PC Atrium

Straight.com - PC Atrium
Go check the Retail thread. What do you want to know?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Go check the Retail thread. What do you want to know?
Just saw the retail thread, thanks.

I wanna know what retailer will take the spot? Uniqlo or flagship Apple Store??

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 3:53 PM

3-storey mall expansion could replace Pacific Centre dome.

Quote:
A popular outdoor plaza and dome-shaped glass rotunda structure that serves as an entrance into Pacific Centre in downtown Vancouver could be replaced by a three-storey mall expansion.

Last night, proponents with Cadillac Fairview, the owner of the shopping centre, joined local architects from Perkins + Will at Vancouver City Hall to present the project to the City of Vancouver’s Urban Design Panel (UDP).
....By the end of the night, the design was approved by the UDP in a 7-1 vote.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pacif...dome-expansion

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 6:39 PM

Still love the existing glass dome way better. It may be from the 80s, but we should have something worth preserving from that era.

This proposed chunk of structure will become outdated pretty soon, and reminds me of those short CRU structures with tired-looking wood panels along Granville Street north of Robson. It will also make the area more claustrophobic and congested with pedestrian like what is happening now across the street at TD bank. Coupled with the line of people waiting for the buses in front, that footpath would be unpassable. The current square, which can be updated with nicer paver stones like those at Nordstrom's, actually complements the Art Gallery square.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterchill View Post

http://www.dezeen.com/2016/07/12/shi...couver-canada/

Not much information on site, height and FSR, but a pretty tantalizing image and some good info on the intent...
New pic from Changing City updates, including the base, which matches the Evergreen Building
(designed by Cornelia Oberlander, same landscape architect as the Evergreen Building.

Question: Should it match the Evergreen Building or does that erode the value/uniqueness of the Evergreen Building?

Quote:
1255 West Pender

This address (also known as 1250 W Hastings) is on its third project design.
Initially W T Leung designed a building in 2009, replaced by a new developer and design by IBI/HB,
who designed a 14 floor building with 27 units; (it’s a very small infill site).

It sits on a narrow slot lot backing onto the Arthur Erickson designed heritage office building,
The Evergreen Building, in Coal Harbour. Now Port Living have submitted a Development Application
to build a 19 storey building designed by Japanese architect Shigeru Ban with Francl Architecture as the local architect of record.

The floor levels are designed to match the Evergreen Building, with continuous terraces on the lower floors
to match those on the heritage office building. Cornelia Hahn Oberlander, the Evergreen’s landscape architect
is also advising on the new project. The construction is a hybrid system, with the upper levels using a Mass Timber Structure design.
There would be just 20 (no doubt very expensive) apartments in the building.
https://changingcitybook.com/2016/08...5-west-pender/

Here's the DP Application:

http://development.vancouver.ca/1255wpender/index.htm

and from VancouverMarket.ca:

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2016/0...site-revealed/

Substantially shorter than the neighbouring Palladio condo tower:

http://development.vancouver.ca/1255wpender/index.htm

Last edited by officedweller; Aug 3, 2016 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 8:29 PM

The downtown awning for the Westin Grand (Robson St. side) was being replaced yesterday.
Didn't walk by that way today.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
July 13 '16, my pics

41 East Hastings Street, the old United We Can bottle depot site.

Aug.4 '16, my pic

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:46 AM

Quote:
July 13 '16, my pics

The Ormidale Block on Hastings Street.

Aug.4 '16, my pics

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Sept.16 '15, my pics

The old Pappas Furs building at Hamilton and West Pender seems to have it's main floor leased now. Hoping it becomes a restaurant.

Aug.4 '16, my pics

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 5:20 AM

Quote:
The old Pappas Furs building at Hamilton and West Pender seems to have it's main floor leased now. Hoping it becomes a restaurant.
Seems doubtful the listings for the property "Over 20,000 SF of retail/office space on four floors"

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Seems doubtful the listings for the property "Over 20,000 SF of retail/office space on four floors"

Oh well, somebody's going to have a nice view of the park.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 7:41 AM
EdInVan

Awful, awful, awful.

Surpassed in hideousness only by the Nordstrom building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas View Post
3-storey mall expansion could replace Pacific Centre dome.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 11:59 AM

I was frankly expecting something much more prominent and distinctive for a redesign of one of Pacific Centre's main entranceways. The current iteration shouts out to me as being a generic cookie-cutter of the boxy Pacific Northwest style. Sure, it's a safe design, but too many of the same design is just... bland... and unremarkable.

Also didn't realize the old Pappa's building was all wood and brick. That would explain the difficulty in leasing the building... I bet it'll need to be upgraded by a ton to support any sort of heavy-duty use.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Oh well, somebody's going to have a nice view of the park.
It would have made a great restaurant space with the wood beams and brick walls. Maybe some of the office space will attract tech companies.

Anyways, it is impressive the changes happening around Victory Square with SFU moving in to a new building and renovations happening to the historic buildings in the area. Now there is, in close proximity, a VFS campus, a VCC campus, and SFU facilities. It might revitalize the park. Really, it should be a premier corner of this city given its historic nature.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
It would have made a great restaurant space with the wood beams and brick walls. Maybe some of the office space will attract tech companies.

Anyways, it is impressive the changes happening around Victory Square with SFU moving in to a new building and renovations happening to the historic buildings in the area. Now there is, in close proximity, a VFS campus, a VCC campus, and SFU facilities. It might revitalize the park. Really, it should be a premier corner of this city given its historic nature.
But they still need more activity/traffic that area to see that happen. I don't think you'll see the park improve until Canada Post redevelops and some of the surrounding blocks get a better collection of retail along Pender/Hastings.

I wonder if VCC would ever think of relocating and developing their land with a smaller satellite campus built into it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 8:55 PM
scared of rain

Quote:

I wonder if VCC would ever think of relocating and developing their land with a smaller satellite campus built into it.
I know they looked at it a few years ago. At the time there was not enough land lift to pay for the new buildings required accommodate the existing programs. The site is under a view cone and doesn't allow residential. It was really a non-starter.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 9:30 PM

Whatever the schedule for the redevelopment of the Denman Hotel & mall, Shoppers has taken the corner unit at Nelson/Denman (where HSBC was before it moved over a few spaces) renovating/adding to its existing store

My pix, Aug 5, 16

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver