HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I thought you'd be against that.
Not at all. Once we identify a clearly superior alternative that makes a positive contribution to Canadian's lives, I say go for it ....

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 1:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Not at all. Once we identify a clearly superior alternative that makes a positive contribution to Canadian's lives, I say go for it ....
Agreed, though I am not sure if the current figureheads are contributing anything concrete to Canadians' lives today.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:23 AM

Have any of you seen Dunkirk in Imax? That was unreal!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Have any of you seen Dunkirk in Imax? That was unreal!
Saw it Friday night in Imax at Blair. It was a great movie, but I'm not sure what exactly makes a movie "Imax." The screen was bigger, but so was the theatre, so it felt about the same size. The sound just seemed louder, and I guess the screen was curved a bit. It just didn't feel that different than any other screen at Scotiabank Theatre, which are fairly large to start with. I suppose if I compared it to South Keys, then I might have something else to say.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
Saw it Friday night in Imax at Blair. It was a great movie, but I'm not sure what exactly makes a movie "Imax." The screen was bigger, but so was the theatre, so it felt about the same size. The sound just seemed louder, and I guess the screen was curved a bit. It just didn't feel that different than any other screen at Scotiabank Theatre, which are fairly large to start with. I suppose if I compared it to South Keys, then I might have something else to say.
^That's not a true IMAX screen so you're right actually. There are a lot of fake IMAX screens branded with their name (people call them LIE-MAX) that are just retrofitted theatres where they extended the screen edge to edge and moved the seats closer and called it IMAX. A typical LIE-MAX screen is 16 meters high (probably what the Gloucester one is), with a widescreen 1.78:1 ratio. A real IMAX is super tall and wider, up to 30 meters tall with a fullscreen 1.44:1 ratio generally. You'll know the difference the second you walk into the theatre. Besides the towering screen, you'll see the rows tend to be extra long, and maybe only ten rows or so of seats. You'll always want to sit in the back row in a real IMAX cause the screen feels so close and so giant.

A real IMAX screen will make you feel like you're floating with the camera as it moves, and you might actually clutch your seat because the giant screen enveloping your field of vision gives the illusion that you're not tethered to the ground at certain moments. It feels almost like a ride, without the need for 3D (although that makes the effect even more pronounced) or any moving seats, etc. Just a giant screen.

75% of Dunkirk was designed for the true IMAX ratio (1.44:1), so you're actually still missing a significant chunk of the visuals on the top and the bottom that are cut off in LIE-MAX (1.78:1) and even more so in standard theatres which are showing it in super wide 2.35:1 ratio I believe.

It was also shot on IMAX resolution 70mm film cameras which are 9x higher resolution than your standard 2K resolution theatre (and the LIE-MAXes only show it in 2K, not in the full resolution).

Unfortunately, the only real IMAX that exists in Ottawa is at the Canadian Museum of History which no longer shows IMAX features (they did do it for The Dark Knight but I called them up for Dark Knight Rises and they said they no longer were showing feature/fiction films). It's a shame because Dunkirk would fit in well at a history museum.

Toronto has the incredible IMAX at Scotiabank Theatre (Toronto Scotiabank, not ours). I saw U2:3D there many years ago and it felt like I was floating on a sea of the concertgoers as the camera swooped into the stage. I actually said coming out of it that it felt more thrilling than being at a concert live, and I wasn't particularly a U2 fan or anything.

I specifically refrained from watching Dunkirk in Ottawa because of the lack of options of seeing it properly. I'm going to Montreal this coming weekend and am crossing my fingers that the Banque 12 Scotia there will still be playing it (I believe that is a real IMAX screen there from the little info I can find online so I'm taking the gamble of seeing it there instead).

Last edited by jcphoenix; Aug 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 3:24 PM

There aren't many IMAX 70mm locations.

https://www.imax.com/news/experience...and-imax-laser

Closest is Mississauga or Woodbridge (nothing in Eastern Ontario or Quebec).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
There aren't many IMAX 70mm locations.

https://www.imax.com/news/experience...and-imax-laser

Closest is Mississauga or Woodbridge (nothing in Eastern Ontario or Quebec).
Yeah I didn't get into it but IMAX with Laser is a close experience these days, minus the resolution bump from what I've read (their digital equivalent in real IMAX theatres). 70mm would still be by far most breathtaking but either is way better than what we have in Ottawa. I'm hoping the Banque 12 in Montreal is showing it in IMAX with Laser. They actually had a 70mm print there too (they were offering it as a special 70mm engagement) but I don't think it was 70mm IMAX, it was just 70mm which is great but means it was showing likely in a 2.20:1 ratio (see guide below).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 4:52 PM

Hardly any Hollywood movies are primarily shot in IMAX (Dunkirk, Sully, next year's Avengers). Usually IMAX releases have either no IMAX content or certain scenes. Maybe Dunkirk made enough money that this will change and more proper IMAX theatres will be built.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Hardly any Hollywood movies are primarily shot in IMAX (Dunkirk, Sully, next year's Avengers). Usually IMAX releases have either no IMAX content or certain scenes. Maybe Dunkirk made enough money that this will change and more proper IMAX theatres will be built.
^Yup, it's just Christopher Nolan really that's been singlehandedly pushing this into existence hah. But I'm definitely a supporter of the idea. If they want to make moviegoing an event still and something you can't do at home, I'd argue IMAX scale film releases are something you can't replicate in a home theatre.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphoenix View Post
^Yup, it's just Christopher Nolan really that's been singlehandedly pushing this into existence hah. But I'm definitely a supporter of the idea. If they want to make moviegoing an event still and something you can't do at home, I'd argue IMAX scale film releases are something you can't replicate in a home theatre.
We need a fully-IMAX Star Wars to kick theatre construction into gear.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphoenix View Post
I saw an IMAX movie at the Cinéma Banque Scotia Montréal using either the laser or xenon DUAL PROJECTION but they hadn't calibrated the dual projectors properly before the showing, so the entire movie had a slight double vision thing going on. I complained to IMAX and they gave the theater shit and I got free tickets out of it. The next IMAX movie I went to there was nicely aligned. But yeah, nothing like the old school 70mm film.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:53 PM

I got a voicemail from a 705 number purporting to be from "Revenue Canada." Good time to remind vulnerable aquaintences to be on the lookout for scams.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:04 PM

Quote:
I got a voicemail from a 705 number purporting to be from "Revenue Canada." Good time to remind vulnerable aquaintences to be on the lookout for scams.
I have had several of these calls. The first time was pretty alarming the way it was presented. It just shows how complicated life is become based on the number scams we all face every day. In this respect, the digital age has had a big negative side especially for more vulnerable people.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:21 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I got one of these calls earlier in the year as well. I called Revenue Canada directly to ask if they had called me, because I got a suspicious-sounding voicemail message. They said that they will never initiate correspondence by telephone, and that they will always send a letter in the mail first. The only exception is if you have an ongoing open case with them and you were requested to call them back with information. They said it is always best to ignore any calls purporting to be from CRA, unless you are expecting one. They said they will eventually send you a letter if you fail to call them back for some reason.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I called Revenue Canada directly to ask if they had called me
I think that is always the best strategy if there is any doubt (also for government agencies, banks, bail requests, etc.)

The ones that cause me the most concern are the credit card fraud detection people, because they call from an unidentified number and start asking for personal information. I just hang up and call the number on the back of the card.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:59 PM
Mooderator

I had 2 calls in one day from a 514 number calling themselves 'the Canadian Revenue Agency'. It was a robotic voice that told me that they have tried to reach me for 6 months for payment and were unsuccessful, so I was going to be taken to court. Please call this number and press 1 for details.

Sure. Let me get my credit card ready, just a sec..

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:06 PM

I know this is not a new show but my friends just recently made me discover Parks and Recreation with Amy Poehler. Such a funny show (if you like that type of humor). Thought I would post it on here for some who might have never seen it as it's all about... well... city development, city council, NIMBYs, community associations etc... all things that we talk (and often laugh about) on here.

Enjoy

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I know this is not a new show but my friends just recently made me discover Parks and Recreation with Amy Poehler. Such a funny show (if you like that type of humor). Thought I would post it on here for some who might have never seen it as it's all about... well... city development, city council, NIMBYs, community associations etc... all things that we talk (and often laugh about) on here.

Enjoy
Great show. If you like the city council, NIMBY / community association part of the show, check out Dreamland on Netflix. Australian comedy show about an arm of the government responsible for large infrastructure projects, and how they always go awry once politicians / developers get their hands on things.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
Great show. If you like the city council, NIMBY / community association part of the show, check out Dreamland on Netflix. Australian comedy show about an arm of the government responsible for large infrastructure projects, and how they always go awry once politicians / developers get their hands on things.
The Planners is another good one.It's more a documentary type of program, filmed in the UK. There are 8 episodes on Youtube.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
Dreamland is priceless. The guy who is the go between the politicians and the implementers is such a spin doctor and I feel sorry for the planner who wants to see her projects come to fruition while all around her is inertia and stagnation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion