HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i wouldn’t be so quick to say its happening. i was over there a week ago and nothing was going on. that was just a quick look around on one day, but still. good news is the outlet mall and the rest are going full steam and making very steady progress. we’ll see when the wheel gets spinning again.
This is the kind of project that gets 45% done, then the market crashes, and it sits there for 6 years

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 2:50 AM
Casagranda

New York Wheel is really a great work

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casa Granda View Post
New York Wheel is really a great work
I know... I like it too,

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 6:56 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.silive.com/news/2017/11/c...d_ny_whee.html

By Tracey Porpora
November 12, 2017

Quote:
As part of a federal court battle with the contractor it fired in May, the New York Wheel is seeking engineering documents to make sure parts used for the 630-foot-high tourist attraction were fabricated correctly, according to court papers.

A high-stakes feud over project delays and work payments between the New York Wheel's developer and the project's fired contractor, the Holland-based Mammoet-Starneth, has been playing out in federal court since May.

.....The NY Wheel is asking a federal judge to grant an injunction that will compel Mammoet-Starneth to hand over engineering information to a potential new contractor, American Bridge Company. NY Wheel contends the information is vital to finish the project, said court papers.

"NYW [New York Wheel] contends not only that it is entitled to these documents pursuant to the parties agreement, but also that they are discoverable in this action and necessary, among other things, to confirm that the Wheel components at issue in NYW's motion for a preliminary injunction were fabricated according to a sound erection methodology -- i.e., to confirm that these components can eventually be assembled into a functioning observation wheel on Staten Island," wrote Anne Champion, a partner at the law firm Gibson and Dunn, which represents New York Wheel in its lawsuit against Mammoet-Starneth, in a Nov. 6 letter to Judge Jesse M. Furman.

Champion said in the letter that the NY Wheel is asking that "certain erection engineering documents," be handed over to the potential new contractor, American Bridge Company -- a company that built the Vegas High Roller -- in order to finish the job.

.....It seems that these construction documents are holding up the signing of a contract between the NY Wheel and American Bridge Company.

"The New York Wheel is in advanced negotiation with American Bridge Company, the builder of the Las Vegas High Roller Observation Wheel and the new Tappan Zee Bridge, to take over and complete the erection of The New York Wheel," said Cristyne Nicholas, spokesperson for the New York Wheel, on Tuesday.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 10:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
This is the kind of project that gets 45% done, then the market crashes, and it sits there for 6 years
Its like the American Dream Meadowlands project somewhat in terms of delays and mismanagement.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 1:22 AM

I say scrap this POS. It doesn't do me any good. Just going to cause more unnecessary traffic on the Island. It's a nice proposal, but it doesn't need to be on SI.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ that would not solve your problem around that area at all.

the new outlet mall and the rest is going to mess up the daily parking around the ferry and add to traffic plenty.

we need that north shore rail line -- i hope they saved the row for that.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 11:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Its like the American Dream Meadowlands project somewhat in terms of delays and mismanagement.
It's not like that at all. There's a very specific issue here that has to be resolved before construction can continue.

As far as traffic is concerned, the primary drive here is for ferry traffic. The outlet mall would probably do more in terms of car traffic. But in any case, almost anything built anywhere would probably increase traffic. The solution isn't to just not build anything. The City chose to develop these parcels, and sought what would generate the most in terms of utilization and revenue. This isn't a typical, private development. The developers are on the hook to get this done.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:06 PM

Staten Island needs a big iconic symbol . .
and then another one after this . .

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:31 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

as far as retail goes, i think the outlet mall is a great compliment to the staten island mall -- and it is certainly a lot more convenient than the trek to the middle of staten island.

commuters and drivers to the ferry better not worry about the ferris wheel and get ready for big changes because they are working full steam ahead on the outlet mall and it will be up and running before you know it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ that would not solve your problem around that area at all.

the new outlet mall and the rest is going to mess up the daily parking around the ferry and add to traffic plenty.

we need that north shore rail line -- i hope they saved the row for that.
I never said it would resolve the traffic problem, I'm just saying the wheel will add more unnecessary traffic to Staten Island and it's already a nightmare trying to commute on a daily basis. I mean the ferries will be pretty overcrowded and they'll likely start charging a fare, which has always been in the talks. Well I could care less about the traffic around that area as I'm not always over there but many people will be heading in that direction, whether it's the Empire Outlets or the NY Wheel. It's really unnecessary and it doesn't belong on the island. Of course it's not up to me but I'm just saying how I feel about the project overall. This island is a mess. How about help the homeless with that money, fix the infrastructure, we don't need a stupid overpriced wheel...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
I never said it would resolve the traffic problem, I'm just saying the wheel will add more unnecessary traffic to Staten Island and it's already a nightmare trying to commute on a daily basis. I mean the ferries will be pretty overcrowded and they'll likely start charging a fare, which has always been in the talks. Well I could care less about the traffic around that area as I'm not always over there but many people will be heading in that direction, whether it's the Empire Outlets or the NY Wheel. It's really unnecessary and it doesn't belong on the island. Of course it's not up to me but I'm just saying how I feel about the project overall. This island is a mess. How about help the homeless with that money, fix the infrastructure, we don't need a stupid overpriced wheel...

i assumed you meant the wheel, but not the mall, because that is definately getting built. my point was it doesnt matter if the wheel gets built or not as either way traffic will increase with the new outlet mall. at least there will be new retail jobs and more inexpensive retail options (or one would assume that being an outlet mall, but who knows? i could just as well see jacked up prices there after the ferris wheel gets built because it will be a big tourist draw).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Staten Island for years has been called the "forgotten borough" and hardly draws any interests outside of the ferry ride. The City saw a chance to do something here, and the wheel would become something of a destination all unto itself for Staten Island. When people think of SI in the future, it won't be just for the expensive toll bridge and ferry ride across the harbor.

It will no longer be this:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 8:03 PM

Why would you even go to an outlet mall here when you can go to Jersey Gardens in Elizabeth and pay 0% tax on clothes, and 3.4% tax on other items?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 3:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Why would you even go to an outlet mall here when you can go to Jersey Gardens in Elizabeth and pay 0% tax on clothes, and 3.4% tax on other items?
Because tourists don't go to NJ to shop. That would be an entirely different trip, and out of the way. Meanwhile, if you're taking a ride on the free ferry, why not get off and shop,
which is what a lot of tourists do in NY anyway. There is no tax on clothes in New York (up to a certain amount). But when it opens, you would be better to ask the customers shopping there.

Quote:
http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/se...2389/sales-tax

There is no sales tax on an item of clothing or footwear that costs less than $110. An item of clothing or footwear that costs $110 or more is subject to the full 8.875% tax rate.
Sales tax is calculated per item, so even if you buy two or more items that add up to $110 or more, you only pay tax on the items that individually cost $110 or more.

http://www.empireoutletsnyc.com/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Because tourists don't go to NJ to shop.
So what youre saying is that youve never been to Jersey Gardens.

They offer a free shuttle to the airport for the tourists.

Half the kiosks sell luggage so the tourists can pack at the mall.

Theres a bus every 15 minutes, non-stop, from the Port Authority and it's, you guessed it, packed with tourists.

Tourists know where they can go to save big on their major shopping trip before boarding a flight to Sao Paulo, Sydney, or London.

And it's not Staten Island.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is having some legal troubles as of this month in 2018.

On hold for now. Owner filed chapter 11, but its trying to be dismissed. Unfortunate because I was hoping for a Q4 2018 opening.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 12:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
So what youre saying is that youve never been to Jersey Gardens.

They offer a free shuttle to the airport for the tourists.

Half the kiosks sell luggage so the tourists can pack at the mall.

Theres a bus every 15 minutes, non-stop, from the Port Authority and it's, you guessed it, packed with tourists.

Tourists know where they can go to save big on their major shopping trip before boarding a flight to Sao Paulo, Sydney, or London.

And it's not Staten Island.

SMH.

Tourists aren't going to forgo their ferry ride (which carries far more tourist btw) just to go the the Jersey Gardens Mall. Yeah, there are tourist who go to outlets on Long Island and even travel upstate. The tourists who ride the ferry are NOT going to give up a trip to the outlets that are in front of their faces to make the schlep to Jersey Gardens. Sorry. In fact, many the outlets here will draw many away for just that fact.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...island-project

New York Wheel developers reach agreement, rekindling hope for troubled project
Company battling contractor in bankruptcy court as construction site sits idle

Joe Anuta By Joe Anut
February 2, 2018

Quote:
The developers of a 630-foot observation wheel planned for Staten Island have agreed to help pay for storage of some of the contraption’s giant parts while the project sits idle, according to court documents filed today.

...Mammoet-Starneth, which is seeking Chapter 11 protection, said it must pay $700,000 a month to store the wheel’s parts at the Brooklyn Marine Terminal. To cover those expenses and pay creditors, the firm is seeking to auction off parts of the wheel, including four legs it values at $9 million.

Judge Laurie Selber Silverstein next month will decide whether the auction can move forward. In the meantime, she issued an order today indicating that the developers will pay $460,000 toward this month’s storage costs and the two sides would enter mediation to hash out other elements of the bankruptcy.

http://www.silive.com/news/2018/01/d...t_new_yor.html

Debi Rose 'assured' that NY Wheel will still be built

Feb 2, 2018

Quote:
Despite numerous setbacks, Councilwoman Debi Rose is confident that the New York Wheel will be built.

"While I'm sorry to see that the New York Wheel is not rising according to the original timeline, I am assured that the investors are committed to building it," Rose told a crowd of more than 300 during her recent "State of the District" address.

The most recent development is that the contractor fired by the NY Wheel, Mammoet-Starneth, LLC, is pushing to auction parts -- including four legs crafted in Italy valued at $9 million -- that were created for the 630-foot observation wheel.

The proposed auction is part of a liquidation of assets for Mammoet-Starneth as part of its bankruptcy proceedings filed in Delaware Bankruptcy Court last month.

The project has faced challenges since May, when Mammoet-Starneth walked off the job. The company was subsequently fired by the Wheel. And the feud is now playing out in federal court.

"And as soon as the courts act, the Wheel will continue to rise," Rose said.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:51 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
"And as soon as the courts act, the Wheel will continue to rise," Rose said.
Finally some optimism.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

its good they are working something out, but per the silive article above it sounds like this is what is really needed to get the wheel rolling again:

.....The NY Wheel is asking a federal judge to grant an injunction that will compel Mammoet-Starneth to hand over engineering information to a potential new contractor, American Bridge Company. NY Wheel contends the information is vital to finish the project, said court papers.

so wheel see what happens!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects