HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 6:50 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

Times Square snowball fight!!

I haven't posted in ages but it's not because I hate you guys!! It's because I'm a selfish Jerk. Merry Christmas everyone!!

I just posted the better ones, but there are some more at: http://blog.ricecracker.net/2009/12/20/snowball-fight-times-square/

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 2:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Nice...

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-media-flurry/

After a Spontaneous Snowball Fight, a Social Media Flurry

A photo of Times Square on Saturday night has reached readers around the world.

By EMILY S. RUEB
December 21, 2009

On a night when holiday parties were in full swing, Saturday night’s snowstorm kept many inside. Yet that night, something unusual, or maybe totally expected, happened: Snowball fights broke out across cities swirling inside life-size snow globes.

Twitterers sent out the bat signal for friends to gather at U and 14th Streets NW in Washington. But even amid the jovial atmosphere, a disgruntled detective stepped out of his Hummer and pulled a gun on the snow revelers after his car was pelted with white balls. The crowd erupted into a chorus, “Don’t bring a gun to a snowball fight!”

Was this the world’s first Twitter-organized snowball fight? Other calls were posted on Craigslist, Facebook and Twitter, yet at the heart of this digital city, at least one happened the old-fashioned way.

In Times Square, much of it now closed to car traffic to encourage pedestrian traffic, a group of adults stopped to scoop up and carefully mold snow into crumbling projectiles to hurl at strangers.

James Sims, a blogger and editor for BroadwayWorld.com, was on his way from a 42nd Street movie theater to meet his girlfriend, who was seeing “Mamma Mia!” a few blocks north at about 10:30 p.m. on Saturday. As he neared Father Francis D. Duffy Monument and Duffy Square, he saw two opposing lines of people stand as if about to start a game of “Red Rover,” he said. Shortly after, arcing white comets with powdery dust tails filled the space between the two lines.

Mr. Sims had been conserving his cellphone’s battery. Now he powered up and, while trying to shield his device from the driving snow, he posted what he described as a “pretty poorly framed and blurry” image to Twitpic before powering down to save energy. (See image above.)

By that point, the crowd had erupted and the once smooth ground was cratered with footprints and spent projectiles. Mr. Sims said many in the crowd were tourists who had set down their shopping bags to join in. One police officer stepped into the firing range to curtail the event, but the crowd’s chorus of boos sent him on his way.

“I’m quite happy that the cop here had a sense of humor,” Mr. Sims said, referring to the episode in Washington.

These days, many spontaneous-seeming events are driven by social media, but it was only as the snow dust was settling that the social media engine started up.

Bill Wasik, the creator of the flashmob and the author of “And Then There’s This: How Stories Live and Die in Viral Culture,” likens this to a “food fight scenario,” where all it takes is a cafeteria full of rowdy teenagers with loaded trays, brown paper bags and a human instinct for battle. But, he said, even if events like this one are not being started by social media, they are still being mediated by technology and tools.

When Mr. Sims turned his phone back on several hours later, thousands of people had retweeted his photo, and by morning, it had ended up on Boing Boing, a Web site run by editors who trawl the Internet for unusual stories. Mr. Sims’s photo caused a flurry of retweets and subsequent follower requests.

Doug Kim, a documentary photographer who stumbled upon the scene about 11:30 a.m., posted a series of images to his blog, which has received 19,000 views since 12 a.m. Monday and 68,000 views on CNN’s post about his photos. And out-of-towners in warm climates are leaving streams of comments, thanking him for the winter images.

“I wish I had known that a snowball fight would be a great marketing strategy,” he joked.

And now, there is a Facebook group to commemorate “The Times Square Snowball Fight of 2009,” which was created by four students who claim they started the fight.

Asked why his grainy photo of the moment was so popular, Mr. Sims responded, “The setting was so out of the ordinary.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 2:55 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 3:03 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Awesome.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

love it. what great shots of a great event!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 5:16 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

I'm so pissed I wasn't there (I woulda opened up a can of whoopass)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:35 AM
them bones

Maybe one of the best random events of 2009...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 11:59 AM
Old Fart Forumer

That does look like fun. Go NY.

Of course the snowball fight in DC turned out a bit differently :

Video Link

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Dec 23, 2009 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 2:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
I'm so pissed I wasn't there (I woulda opened up a can of whoopass)
I bet some people probably just wanted to throw something at the tourists who took over Times Square , but I'm sure it was fun all around, snowball fights usually are. I've seen some photos of the one at Columbia University.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 3:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Harry Watko

More photos from...
thisisalexking1

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 6:54 PM
West Mobile

I am jealous... Love it.. wish I was there.. Thanks for sharing..

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 4:08 AM

OMG I was there on the 21st, missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 1:42 AM

One word, AMAZING.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos