1481 Post in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 4:42 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanenuyawka View Post
How do you think people see out of the Sears,John Hankcock, or Trump International towers? Same concept I believe.
I don't see the a similar relationship at all, especially regarding the John Hancock Center or the Sears Tower. They simply have normal glass windows and certainly don't have the shimmering look.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I don't see the a similar relationship at all, especially regarding the John Hancock Center or the Sears Tower. They simply have normal glass windows and certainly don't have the shimmering look.
Here's a better analogy. Think of buses with advertisements all over them on the outside. You cannot see inside if you see the bus on the street. However, if you are inside the bus, you can see outside just fine. The frosted windows only have an effect from the outside. I think this is good, as they will have ultimate privacy but still maintain their spectacular views.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
a lot of the 'shimmering' is probably the glass fins they described. since they're perpendicular to the building, they wouldn't impede views much, but from the outside, the multiplication of glass surfaces at different angles greatly increases the chance of bright specular reflections.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
a lot of the 'shimmering' is probably the glass fins they described. since they're perpendicular to the building, they wouldn't impede views much, but from the outside, the multiplication of glass surfaces at different angles greatly increases the chance of bright specular reflections.
That is just what I was thinking, if all the glass will be clear as described. I am wondering if the outer edge of the fins will be polished clear also, further adding to the effect.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 5:09 PM
BANNED

This cluster of buildings is going to look so ODD together. They will be so close together, and the shapes and orientation of the three (Sequoias, CatHill Plaza, and this one) is going to look very unbalanced from the street, because CHPlaza is so long, short, and stumpy, and the Sequoias is rectangular and wide, and then this cylindrical building in the middle of those two. This is a cool building, but too bad it can't be adjoined with at the very least semi-attractive architecture!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 6:11 AM

Quote:
That's the Cathedral Hill Tower; it's 299' and 27 floors, completed in 1965. It was originally a rental apartment building and was converted to condos in 1979.
where does the 299' figure come from?

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 3:46 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
where does the 299' figure come from?
It came from Emporis, but as SFView pointed out above, that may or may not be accurate.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 3:41 AM

New web site for this project:

http://www.1481poststreet.com/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 3:55 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Well, I think I have a new favorite SFO project. I really like this one, and its sweet location. It is really in how the details are executed. If it has the sort of double layer transparent look as Torre Agbar in Barcelona, than this will be one of the great landmarks of the city.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:02 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

If I've learned anything from the current skyscraper boom, it's this: don't believe the renderings.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:08 AM
Pacific Wonderland

By the way, could there be a more appropriate tower for San Francisco than the Torre Agbar? Especially on this site? Maybe a redesign is in order

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:09 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
If I've learned anything from the current skyscraper boom, it's this: don't believe the renderings.
That's for sure. Unfortunately, it's been wait and see with so many projects, none more so than the Las Vegas Intercontinental. Even the latest renderings of the Millennium Tower don't look like the old ones. It's almost as if these developers are using the design-build method!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:12 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
By the way, could there be a more appropriate tower for San Francisco than the Torre Agbar? Especially on this site? Maybe a redesign is in order

As cool as it is, I think not. I can just imagine the San Francisco spin that the rest of the country would put on it!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:51 AM

Quote:
As cool as it is, I think not. I can just imagine the San Francisco spin that the rest of the country would put on it!
...And the jokes about it actually turning on during an earthquake? No, I'm sorry. No thanks!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 5:13 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
That's for sure. Unfortunately, it's been wait and see with so many projects, none more so than the Las Vegas Intercontinental.
Oh, I think the Irvine Ritz-Carlton down at Kearny and Geary--it's like 1985 all over again!--is giving the InterContinental Emerald City a run for the title.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:04 PM

From http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

The Official Cathedral Hill Tower (1481 Post Street) Website

A plugged-in tipster directs us to the ADCO Group’s website for the proposed Catherdral Hill Tower (1481 Post Street). Think summary, FAQs (“We hope to get our final permits sometime in 2008, so we expect that the project will be completed by 2010.”), and a complete rundown of community meetings (both past and future).

http://www.1481poststreet.com

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 5:56 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Has anyone heard of anything happening regarding this project?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Has anyone heard of anything happening regarding this project?
the project is moving through the approvals process. the initial study has been published and many of the studies which will make up the draft eir have been completed. there have been numerous meetings with neighbors, policy groups, etc.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 1:59 AM

does anyone know if there is anything new with this project?
thanks in advance.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 4:19 AM
Green Berniecrat

From Socketsite.com:

Quote:

From the San Francisco Planning Department (via a plugged-in tipster):

"This is a reminder to encourage you to attend this Saturday's Japantown Better Neighborhood Plan Workshop. In addition to hearing from the Planning Department's planning consultants regarding historic and cultural preservation, implementation strategies, and urban design findings, we will also see preliminary design concepts for Japan Center and a preview of the proposal for 1481 Post Street (a recent addition to the agenda). Following the presentations, we've dedicated time for community members to give their feedback in small groups regarding all the topics.

The future of Japan Center and Geary Boulevard are at stake. Improvements to land use and zoning, businesses, transportation, public space and the historic and cultural character throughout the neighborhood are under consideration."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals