HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
OK, so it is 5x week (I know he uses a spreadsheet to calculate the decimals based on a data dump but...seriously, it’s very confusing. 0.7 flights per day is not intuitive...).
Very confusing indeed, I don't know how he comes up with the decimals and a lot of his information is inaccurate.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:16 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
Lack of codeshare hurt Korean Air in IAH and hurts them in DFW too.

Asiana has codeshare with United, so it's possible they might step into the gap at IAH.

The interesting thing here is that Korean Air has codeshare with Delta. If Delta makes a large enough expansion in Austin, Korean Air might bite with an A330-200. That only needs 218 passengers to fill.

Korean Air already had a lot competition in IAH->E. Asia traffic that didn't terminate in Seoul- Air China, ANA, EVA Air, and United (Which are all codeshares with United too, btw.)

In sum, there's reason for cautious optimism on Austin->Seoul non-stop, if Delta goes big enough with Austin.
I flew Korean from Seoul to Dallas recently and they codeshared with American, which was weird to me because they're in two different alliances (SkyTeam & One World, respectively). We got there all the same, so I didn't complain.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I flew Korean from Seoul to Dallas recently and they codeshared with American, which was weird to me because they're in two different alliances (SkyTeam & One World, respectively). We got there all the same, so I didn't complain.
The arrangement started in 2015, and it is unique to that route only. It involved Korean Air making a "cross alliance" pact with AA. I am surprised that Korean's alliance partners did not make a big fuss about it. Just curious, but did you fly Korean or AA? The reason I ask is because on google it looks like the AA flight is the only one that is code shared with Korean. The Korean flight is listed as Korean Air only.

https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...sp:.USD.181601

https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...oute/22862651/

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 9:37 PM

Here’s a construction update from the airport. The third public workshop regarding the master plan will be June 7, 6-8PM.
http://www.austintexas.gov/blogs/con...ruction-update

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Here’s a construction update from the airport. The third public workshop regarding the master plan will be June 7, 6-8PM.
http://www.austintexas.gov/blogs/con...ruction-update
Wish they'd put in a Torchy's rather than a Tacodeli. Just so y'all know where my allegiances lie.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 10:11 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Wish they'd put in a Torchy's rather than a Tacodeli. Just so y'all know where my allegiances lie.
Agreed. But, to be fair, maybe Torchy's declined an offer and the Delaware North had to go another direction - Tacodeli?!?

Delaware North is in charge of the food service providers...not ABIA directly.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:40 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
The arrangement started in 2015, and it is unique to that route only. It involved Korean Air making a "cross alliance" pact with AA. I am surprised that Korean's alliance partners did not make a big fuss about it. Just curious, but did you fly Korean or AA? The reason I ask is because on google it looks like the AA flight is the only one that is code shared with Korean. The Korean flight is listed as Korean Air only.

https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...sp:.USD.181601

https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...oute/22862651/

For that particular trip, I purchased HKG to DFW as a round trip, flying KE from HKG to ICN, and then AA from ICN to DFW. It was all purchased through KE. On the return trip, we flew KE on both legs.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:04 PM

Since the posts are slow, thought I'd mentioned I finally got a look at an incoming BA flight a few minutes ago. It came from the east just south of my house traveling west and south, obviously. Besides the time of day, I knew it was a 747 by the sound of the engines. It was louder than everything else. Really impressive.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Since the posts are slow, thought I'd mentioned I finally got a look at an incoming BA flight a few minutes ago. It came from the east just south of my house traveling west and south, obviously. Besides the time of day, I knew it was a 747 by the sound of the engines. It was louder than everything else. Really impressive.
Oh, yeah, she’s loud

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I had that 747 fly directly over my apartment (Round Rock behind Dell) last week and to me it didn't seem any louder than any other flight. Heck the 737s and A320s at times seem louder to me. It's been years since I last heard one but C-5s make a 747 seem quiet.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiffers View Post
I had that 747 fly directly over my apartment (Round Rock behind Dell) last week and to me it didn't seem any louder than any other flight. Heck the 737s and A320s at times seem louder to me. It's been years since I last heard one but C-5s make a 747 seem quiet.
On average a 747 will be moderately louder, particularly at take off. The "at times" part relates to wind conditions, temperature, and altitude. A strong head/cross wind, cold dry temperature, and lower altitude will make more noise as the engines will be at higher thrust and/or sound travels with less drop off. During the winter there is less tree leaf vegetation to absorb sound as well.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiet View Post
yes they are 380 ready gates as far as i was told. In terms of historical austin city planning, it’s very typical forward thinking as a whole, albeit it way behind at airport. Those big gates at the end was one of the first standout unique differences of the new extension. Regarding current gates, no, dl was always giving up the current 3-4 in moving to the new finished side, more or less tripling their aus footprint and becoming arguably the biggest tenant at abia (by number of gates and maybe long term by daily flights) at the new opening july 2019. (that’s the finish date hensel phelps has on their website. But who knows, it might be a few months sooner but austin is notoriously regulation heavy regarding all big construction, highway and otherwise)

rumor is those old dl gates have a decent chance of becoming wn gates, esp since wn gates currently start at gate 7. Wn could own those, possibly on top of the current 6 they already have. Wn in many cases gets what they request from abia, maybe because they currently have the most daily flights over any aus carrier (in the 25-27% of all flights range)
dl existing gates are 4,5 6 with 3a and 3 used on busy points of the day like the early morning.

The new move also creates all new offices for dl operations and the locker/break room facilities for below wing acs (airport customer service), which was in dire need of an upgrade regarding space and quality. The new mechanics will take over the current operations and break room/ramper locker space. They also move into the cleaning supply product (blankets, dl magazines, etc) storage area adjacent to ops and the locker room.
d

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:00 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 12:26 PM

When does Condor come back? Should be soon, shouldn’t it?

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
When does Condor come back? Should be soon, shouldn’t it?
The billboard on 71 says May 28th so I guess it's started up again.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:45 PM

Austin, Texas shippers get the most out of limited air cargo service

C

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:17 PM

Any chatter on when Austin will nab another European direct? Perhaps Italia?

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 10:05 PM

I think the only direct or nonstop flight to Italy from Texas is a tourist season non stop from DFW to Rome on AA. This is the second or third year it has operated, but last year it stopped flying in the early fall and just recently resumed. Hard to imagine Austin being able to support a flight to Italy anytime soon.

Last edited by austlar1; May 31, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Chris Barnett, Special Correspondent

https://www.joc.com/air-cargo/austin..._20180530.html

ESC key.....Port is courting Korean and China Eastern.....
It’s behind a paywall. For pax or cargo? I could see China Eastern cargo, easy. Kind of surprised one of the ME3 doesn’t operate a cargo flight in once or twice a week, actually.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I think the only direct or nonstop flight to Italy from Texas is a tourist season non stop from DFW to Rome on AA. This is the second or third year it has operated, but last year it stopped flying in the early fall and just recently resumed. Hard to imagine Austin being able to support a flight to Italy anytime soon.
Agreed. Italy is a VFR*-heavy destination with mostly low-yielding traffic, and there’s not a major hub on the other end (Alitalia is on death watch again...although admittedly ‘impending death ‘ is about as meaningful for Alitalia as it was for any of the major characters on Buffy the Vampire Slayer...)

If the rumors are to be believed (heavy emphasis on *if*), the next destination is most likely AMS on DL.

* Visiting Friends & Relatives

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
it’s behind a paywall. For pax or cargo? I could see china eastern cargo, easy. Kind of surprised one of the me3 doesn’t operate a cargo flight in once or twice a week, actually.
i

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin