HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
A few more (apologies for reposts):

1928, Wilshire and La Brea looking east. Dyas-Carlton Cafe (opened 1928) at left. Gilmore station on the NE corner with a Security Bank building beyond (pre Clements' black & gold replacement), Bank of Italy (before the name change to BofA) on the right:

1929, looking east from Ridgeley and Wilshire. There's more 'Wilshire Specials' than anything else.

1930, looking west from Sycamore. Wilson Building at center bottom. Desmond's at center left. Tar Pits at upper center. Salt Lake Oil Field at right. Carthay Theater in the distance at upper left center:

1932, The Darkroom/Chandler's building (SE corner Wilshire and Cloverdale) is still Spanish Colonial Revival. Dyas-Carlton Cafe Building lower right corner next to a Standard Station:

all images: http://waterandpower.org/museum/Earl...1925%20+).html

The above and the pix BRR just posted of the Miracle Mile answer the question posed by the below:

The above drawing is of the building as built on the SE corner of Wilshire and Clovedale, future home of both The Darkroom (1935) and Chandler's Shoes, later given a Streamline remodel.

From Spanish Colonial Revival to Streamline to shapeless hodgepodge:

Werner von Boltenstern Postcard Collection, Department of Archives and Special Collections, Loyola Marymount University Library

gsv

Before the E. Clem Wilson Building. Wilshire and La Brea
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics25/00032439.jpg

E. Clem Wilson Bldg.
http://www.laobserved.com/assets/cle...-bldg-lapl.jpg

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:35 PM

Did you know one of the most popular crooners of the 1940s was killed in a plane crash on Beverly Boulevard?

Buddy Clark died aged 37.

http://planetbarberella.blogspot.com...ent-buddy.html

-scene of the accident.

http://www.gmmy.com/crooners/clark/clarkphotos.html

http://greatentertainersarchives.blo...-of-nedra.html

His first big smash hit was the song 'Linda' recorded in 1946....reaching number 1 in the Spring of 1947.
Actually, 'Linda' was more of a skit than a song and includes some spoken sections.

Here he is singing 'Linda' (I guarantee it will put a smile on your face)

click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynyn3UQPlWU

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 12, 2014 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Broadway Palace Market

ebay

The Schaber's Cafeteria building currently stands at 622 S. Broadway. I'm sure the postcard predates this wonderful building.

GSV (this is out dated)

an earlier view from way back on page 304.

Does anyone have a photograph of the building that stood at 618-622 S. Broadway before Schaber's was built in 1928?
__

Undated Schaber's sidewalk entrance
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics16/00007865.jpg

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:47 PM

This is an excellent find HossC. I wondered if that building was still there-

originally posted by HossC

What about the grayish building in the distance behind the medical arts building? (or did I miss that)

usc

I also didn't realize we were looking at a corner of Barnsdall Park...and I'm a big Frank Lloyd Wright fan.
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00104/00104585.jpg

All 1935. LA, exact location unk.

Buick

Ford

Chrysler

Auburn

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/44048/rec/10

Aaron Bros. having a one cent sale?

Unk date and location. Framed auto displays
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics25/00062238.jpg

http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics25/00062237.jpg

Used Car lot, unk location and date. MJB Coffee is what my percolator prefers.
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics25/00062252.jpg

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
laplLAPL
GoogleSV

While these two shots do not appear to be from the same vantage point, indeed they are. The view is east on 3rd
at Rampart Blvd. The vintage shot is a foreshortened view, which makes comparison here less than ideal...not to
mention the $%#&# tree at right in the recent shot.... Once I get there with my chainsaw, the white steeple at right
will appear in any newer Google Street View shots from Rampart in this direction.... Here it is almost unencumbered:

GoogleSV

The white steeple belongs to the Superet Light Center--which is not a convenience store or lamp shop but rather a
church of a denomination called the Superet Atom Aura Science (your questions answered here). I am sure that we
covered this building (at 2516 West 3rd) here before, but I had no luck searching for it.

The large building at top center in the vintage shot is the old St. Vincent Hospital building, now replaced; the dark
steeple to its right is that of St. Nicholas Cathedral, just recently completed (in 1950), and still on the southwest
corner of Grand View and 3rd.

~1924 - Third and Rampart billboard
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics48/00058604.jpg

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:

What about the grayish building in the distance behind the medical arts building? (or did I miss that)

usc
At first I thought it might be part of the Thirteenth Church of Christ Scientist (now the LA Full Gospel Church) at 1750 N Edgemont Street. Then I realized it's the extant Edgemont Manor Apartments at 1716 N Edgemont Street.

Google Maps

Here's the rather pleasant front view. From what I can find, the building dates from 1928.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:38 AM
BANNED

1934 Time to Fly

Burbank Airport, United Airlines. This is the way it looked to the passengers in 1934 about to board the big plane. Looks exciting to me.

Burbankia

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Did you know one of the most popular crooners of the 1940s was killed in a plane crash on Beverly Boulevard?

Buddy Clark died aged 37.

http://planetbarberella.blogspot.com...ent-buddy.html

Clark, a popular 44 year old singer, was among the dead. There seems to be some confusion over his actual age. Wiki says he was born in 1912....as Samuel Goldberg. The newspaper says that he was 44. To me he looks older than 37 in the photo I post here...but that's subjective. Maybe he fudged on his age.

Reading Eagle~Google News

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 13, 2014 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 5:33 PM

Ever since I came across this badly faded slide of Long Beach (that's the Villa Riviera in the distance) I've been trying to figure out where the photographer was standing,
(or sitting for that matter on that metal railing)

1960s

ebay

Was the photographer in an elevated park?.....atop an embankment? It just looks peculiar to me. (and he/she cut off the top of the Villa Riviera!)
I can't think of the name of the other building behind the Villa Riviera.....

The single story apartments in the lower right corner are also intriguing. They almost look temporary...maybe post-war housing? I wonder how long they lasted in this prime location.
I thought HossC might be able to locate the area in one of his vintage aerials.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 5:46 PM

Peter Putter's Plaster Pencil (try saying that three times real fast ) -you would be correct.

ebay

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 2, 2015 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:09 PM

Aquaduct Accident, 1932

One man slips knocking fifteen workers down the hole!

ebay

"The men were rushed to the hospital in Los Angeles 150 miles away." My God, they must have been out in the middle of nowhere!

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:

Ever since I came across this badly faded slide of Long Beach (that's the Villa Riviera in the distance) I've been trying to figure out where the photographer was standing.

1960s

ebay

Was the photographer in an elevated park?.....atop an embankment? It just looks peculiar to me. (and he/she cut off the top of the Villa Riviera!)
I can't think of the name of the other building behind the Villa Riviera.....

The single story apartments in the lower right corner are also intriguing. They almost look temporary...maybe post-war housing? I wonder how long they lasted in this prime location.
I thought HossC might be able to locate the area in one of his vintage aerials.
I had a go at correcting the colors (and tidying the sky). The building behind the Villa Riviera is the sadly demolished Pacific Coast Club.

Originally posted by e_r

Those single-story apartments appear on the aerial images from 1953 (the earliest for this area on Historic Aerials) and 1963. The one below is from 1953.

Historic Aerials

For comparison, here's the same area in 2004.

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I had a go at correcting the colors (and tidying the sky). The building behind the Villa Riviera is the sadly demolished Pacific Coast Club.

Originally posted by e_r

Those single-story apartments appear on the aerial images from 1953 (the earliest for this area on Historic Aerials) and 1963. The one below is from 1953.
Thanks Hoss and ER for this walk down memory lane.

The X marks the approx. spot where this photo of my brother, my mother and myself was taken in about 1946. There was a city park along Ocean Blvd. at that location in those days.

Historic Aerials ~ Originally posted by Hoss C

My brother, my mother and myself...Long Beach. I have no idea why we in Long Beach that day, as we lived in Glendale at that time.
My Mom's hair style was done by a new beautician girl who did a different style each week. That's the Villa Riviera in the background.
I'm sure this was a Sunday, as that was our going-out day. This was before my Mom was married to my stepfather who took this photo. [his previous wife Juanita
had committed suicide in the garage of their San Gabriel home a few months prior to this photo.]

Personal photo

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:19 PM

What a wonderful photograph! Thanks for sharing it CityBoyDoug.
I just noticed the metal railing that appears in the 1960s slide is visible on the right. -very cool.

..and thanks for the comparative aerials HossC. Those one story apt. buildings didn't stand a chance of surviving.

__

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:33 PM

...and while we're down in Long Beach.

I had forgotten there was a giant mural on the façade of the old Long Beach Municipal Auditorium.

ebay

Was it saved?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:37 PM

...and up in Santa Monica there was a waterspout closing in on a gas-o-meter!

ebay

__

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:

Aquaduct Accident, 1932

One man slips knocking fifteen workers down the hole!

ebay

"The men were rushed to the hospital in Los Angeles 150 miles away." My God, they must have been out in the middle of nowhere!
Here's the Grapevine siphon under construction in 1913.

Calisphere

Since the hospital where the workers were taken isn't named, I picked City Hall (admittedly not a hospital) as my arbitrary destination in Los Angeles. It turned out to be an exactly 150 mile journey. Even today, the travel time is estimated at 2 hours 20 minutes.

Google Maps

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:47 PM

This is the house where 6-year-old Rochelle Gluskoter was living when she was kidnapped on February 15th, 1946 (exactly 11 months before Elizabeth Short died). She had been playing in the yard of a neighbor at 1113 E 85th Street.

eBay

Here are Rochelle's parents talking to Detective Lt E M Renfro ...

eBay

... and nearly two years later identifying their daughter's clothing.

eBay

Despite several suspects being questioned, Rochelle's kidnap and murder was never solved. The article below on the left covers the booking of an early suspect, Alonzo Flores. It's from the February 18, 1946 edition of the Spokane Daily Chronicle. The one on the right concerns the discovery of Rochelle's skeletal remains 21 months later. It's from the November 10, 1947 edition of the Chicago Tribune.

news.google.com/chicagotribune.com

I managed to find Rochelle's parents' marriage certificate. According to familysearch.org, Abe Gluskoter was born on July 17, 1913, while Miriam Gluskoter née Stein was born on November 9, 1915. It looks like the Gluskoters moved north later in life as both of their deaths took place in 1994 in Mcminnville, Yamhill, Oregon. Abe Gluskoter died on October 13, 1994, six months after Miriam, who died on April 6, 1994.

familysearch.org

The Gluskoter's house at 1125 E 87th Street (as seen in the top picture) is still there. The street doesn't appear to be gated or private, yet neither the Googlemobile or the Bingmobile have ground-level images from there. This is as close as I could get.

Google Maps

More information on the case can be found on websleuths.com.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:36 PM

Very interesting HossC. What a sad noirish story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpytalian View Post
Toddle House
5963 W. Washington Blvd, Los Angeles CA
"Girls A Poppin"
• Five solid hours of entertainment • Open 7 nights a week • No Cover • No admission charge • Free parking

Scan from my personal collection of matchbook covers

So, I could not find a single thing on this place. I've been researching and haven't found any leads yet. It’s almost as if it never existed… Does anyone recognize this or have any info?

Not to be mistaken with the Toddle House chain of restaurants between the 1920's-80's.

HossC wrote:

Salpytalian and HossC,

I haven't found any photographs of the elusive Toddle House, but this matchbook I recently found includes an illustration of the place.

ebay

It would have set directly on the west bank of Ballona Creek.

google_aerial

You can see Ballona Creek in the screengrab below. The new building that is situated on the old Toddle House site is the Culver City Arts Center.
CityBoyDoug showed us the Culver City arts Center in an earlier post. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=18728

GSV
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 14, 2014 at 12:09 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos