HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 7:17 PM

It would seem that most of Winnipeg, this forum in particular, should be ecstatic at this news.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
It would seem that most of Winnipeg, this forum in particular, should be ecstatic at this news.
It will be great news if it persuades Wyatt to enter the mayoral race.

We should actually see some potentially positive change on council.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 7:57 PM

^ I'm far from ready to put my vote with any of those running for mayor this early in the race but I'm curious about Bowman.

As you've probably already read, Chipman is not endorsing him yet but helping in his fundraising endevours? I'd like to here a little more about him and what he has to say about business and development in Winnipeg and how it can be improved.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
^ I'm far from ready to put my vote with any of those running for mayor this early in the race but I'm curious about Bowman.

As you've probably already read, Chipman is not endorsing him yet but helping in his fundraising endevours? I'd like to here a little more about him and what he has to say about business and development in Winnipeg and how it can be improved.
I see it as a three horse race. Judy, Bowman, Havixbeck. All reasonable candidates with Bowman wearing that political outsider label, although it would be very difficult to separate him from the establishment of the city, he is very much a candidate in the vein of Katz in 2004 IMO.

As I've said before, anyone who campaigns on reining in our insane spending on some city services and re-allocating money to several other underfunded areas will get my vote. I just worry that any reasonable mayor will be stonewalled by a rogue council.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 5:15 PM

Quote:
This guy right here sure is.

I didn't think he was the man for the job when he first ran in 2004, and I can't say that he did anything since then to make me change my mind. Winnipeg improved a bit over his tenure, but it was something of a boom time for all Canadian cities over the past decade... even a city led by Rob Ford could manage to grow and become a better place to live. If anything, Winnipeg lost ground relative to other cities during Katz's term in office.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 5:32 PM

I was quite impressed with bowman's demeanour. I also felt he had a good interview with the free press. Well spoken. He seems to have some realistic ideas and is keen on progressing Winnipeg too.

I find Judy quite likeable and comes across passionate and full of energy.

I haven't seen much about any other "serious" candidates but I think either would provide a welcomed fresh presence at city hall.

But I don't know much about anyone else

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 3:45 PM

The more I hear about Bowman, the more I like him. The fact Chipman is helping him out is a huge gold star. I read somewhere that part of Katz' decision making was that the business community was running from him to Bowman. I knew Sammy wouldn't run if he wasnt sure he could win.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 9:16 PM

He must have either a boring home life or a wish to pass away at a committee meeting.

Winnipeg city hall’s oldest councillor has registered to run for re-election in the fall.

77-year-old Harvey Smith has represented Daniel McIntyre since 1998.

He will have some competition in former school trustee Cindy Gilroy and Keith Bellamy. Both lost to Smith in 2010.

Kim Lawson CJOB News

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 11:08 PM

I'm not sure Bowman is ready for the full on assault he's going to get if he's elected mayor.

An idealistic mayor with integrity would be great, but essentially useless without a council that falls in line in the structure of our municipal government. I also have a hard time seeing Bowman as an "outsider" given his history and ties to the business community.

I won't complain if Bowman is elected, but I won't be expecting much to get done at City Hall if he does and actually sticks to his platform.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 11:48 PM
BANNED

What perturbs me is vote splitting. Some people should not run.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 4:51 PM
BANNED

What a lacklustre bunch of duds we have running for mayor, today one of the buffoons comes up with a brilliant idea and what seems to be his election platform: sell city golf courses and another wants the voting age lowered to 16, swimming pools attached to schools and free swimming lessons for all and free beach bound bus service, must have read part of the speNDP playbook!

Kives's take on the sorry lot:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...268561682.html

PS I've seen small towns with a better crop of mayoralty candidates than this group of losers.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 6:23 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What a lacklustre bunch of duds we have running for mayor, today one of the buffoons comes up with a brilliant idea and what seems to be his election platform: sell city golf courses and another wants the voting age lowered to 16, swimming pools attached to schools and free swimming lessons for all and free beach bound bus service, must have read part of the speNDP playbook!

Kives's take on the sorry lot:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...268561682.html

PS I've seen small towns with a better crop of mayoralty candidates than this group of losers.
Since this mayoral race started, I've seen nothing but boring candidates, the more we got to know them and their platforms.

Sadly, I feel that this will be another election where the young people are going to ignore this, because most of what they're saying aren't appealing to them at all. This whole thing is going to be malaise, run-of-the-mill, boring, boiler plate type of election this year.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 5:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Since this mayoral race started, I've seen nothing but boring candidates, the more we got to know them and their platforms.

Sadly, I feel that this will be another election where the young people are going to ignore this, because most of what they're saying aren't appealing to them at all. This whole thing is going to be malaise, run-of-the-mill, boring, boiler plate type of election this year.
Without a doubt, the sad thing is that the voting % will be below 40%.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 5:55 AM

Ouellette firmly established himself as a fringe candidate this week. Steeves firmly established himself as an idiot (for those who didn't already know him).

Will wait to hear substantive policy announcements from Bowman and Havixbeck to decide my vote.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:24 PM

JWL's latest announcment:

http://www.judyformayor.ca/ourwinnip...ity_that_works

July 28, 2014

Judy Wasylycia-Leis announced today she will establish the OurWinnipeg Task Force if she is elected mayor to make sure the city’s most important planning document guides all future municipal development.

“OurWinnipeg is a good plan that has gathered dust because the interests of a few well connected developers have been put ahead of the public interest,” said Wasylycia-Leis. “If I am elected, I am committed to ensuring we are guided by responsible, smart, innovative and forward- thinking urban planning and that all citizens will have a voice in that plan.”

This task force, which will be appointed within the first 100 days of Judy’s administration, will be mandated to ensure that city policy and decisions reflect the spirit and intent of the OurWinnipeg Plan.

This group of community experts will also be asked to identify any gaps in the plan with a particular focus on economic development, transportation, environmental sustainability, quality of life, public safety and community diversity.

“This is a wonderful community with great people. With the right plan and appropriate political will, we can take back our rightful place as one of the great Canadian cities,” said Wasylycia-Leis. “We have all the ingredients. Now we need to get to work to bring them together.”

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmanteau View Post
JWL's latest announcment:

http://www.judyformayor.ca/ourwinnip...ity_that_works

July 28, 2014

Judy Wasylycia-Leis announced today she will establish the OurWinnipeg Task Force if she is elected mayor to make sure the city’s most important planning document guides all future municipal development.
This is practically a revolutionary concept for this city. By far the single best policy proposal to come out thus far into the "campaign", such as it is.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is practically a revolutionary concept for this city. By far the single best policy proposal to come out thus far into the "campaign", such as it is.
Amazing that a candidate committing to actually following the city's existing planning framework is considered a revolutionary policy. Amazing but that's reality here.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:29 AM

How is a policy like this even implemented? Sounds great in theory, but like, what is this even about? JWL is going to appoint a few people who over-rule council when they vote for subdivisions that don't fit the plan? Is this committee going to the Province with development plan amendment after development plan amendment? Is this committee going to overrule PP&D's planning reports, essentially undermining the city administration?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:45 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
How is a policy like this even implemented? Sounds great in theory, but like, what is this even about? JWL is going to appoint a few people who over-rule council when they vote for subdivisions that don't fit the plan? Is this committee going to the Province with development plan amendment after development plan amendment? Is this committee going to overrule PP&D's planning reports, essentially undermining the city administration?
Perhaps the Task Force (you mistakenly call it a committee) will redraft the zoning by-law to match up with the planning documents currently in existance. Perhaps they will change from a euclidean zoning system to a form-based. Perhaps they are going to change to a transect based zoning.

Who knows. But seriously, Our Winnipeg (and previously Plan Winnipeg 2020) have been in existance for a while now and zoning still doesn't match up.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Perhaps the Task Force (you mistakenly call it a committee) will redraft the zoning by-law to match up with the planning documents currently in existance. Perhaps they will change from a euclidean zoning system to a form-based. Perhaps they are going to change to a transect based zoning.

Who knows. But seriously, Our Winnipeg (and previously Plan Winnipeg 2020) have been in existance for a while now and zoning still doesn't match up.
Ah, the task force of community "experts" will take on the duties of the planning department. Gotcha. Hopefully those experts know as much about zoning as you do, or we might be screwed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan