HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 9:58 PM

Winnipeg Surface Lots (Downtown)

Seeing as this topic comes up a lot on this forum I thought it would be interesting to try and come up with a list of all of Winnipeg's surface lots within its core downtown area.
And maybe even try to come up with possible future proposals or rumours that may suite well in certain lots.

I'll start with the lots that are adjacent to;

-westbrook and Water street all the way up to Lombard, beside the baseball diamond.

I believe that a couple of 10/15 story office towers would really spice that corner up.
Or even if possible it would be pretty cool to see a design where a hotel/condo units were built into the tracks in between water and pioneer, to give it a natural blend.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 10:36 PM
The Loyal Opposition

I think it was Viking who once put together a colour coded map, illustrating all the surface lots in downtown. If you think you get a good sense of all the surface lots when walking around downtown, the map really drives the point home.

Just like most, if not all of you guys... I'd like to see more commercial office development downtown. However, I probably differ in that I don't think it has to be skyscrapers, but rather a bunch of modest 3-5 story office buildings where the surface lots are. This would be a great improvement and a more feasible scenario to filling the surface lots with development.

If anything, the city should do what it can to discourage suburban 'office parks' and encourage such development in downtown where our surface lots are.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 10:45 PM

I feel that density should be increased what size office structures is irrelivent to me. But I feel it would be really cool to have the urban forest idea applied to future downtown projects. What do you think?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 11:18 PM
The Loyal Opposition

What do you mean by "the urban forest idea?"

I'm inclined to say that the current surface lots should remain available for commercial office or residential (apts & condos) development. Don't think that there is a need to convert current surface lots into parks, we already have a good deal of parks when I compare Winnipeg to other city's downtowns (Forks, Bonnycastle Park, river walkways, Memorial Park & legislative grounds). Once a lot becomes a park, no way of later developing it into an office-type building, which also works against increasing people density in the downtown 'core.'

If you're talking about trees on sidewalks and boulevards, I don't see why that would be a problem (except during cankerworm season).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 12:09 AM

no,no,no,no,no,no,no and finally no.

Did you completely disregard my phrase "increased density" I was merely stating that it would be cool to have the green idea phased in with green roofs and things like that so that we can continue to expand our elm population. Also incorperate trees into the street life as well such as seen in osbourne village (very dense yet very green)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 12:11 AM

yes i can see what mean for the cankerworm problem though. But something more than even just sidewalk flowers or occasional trees, maybe even incorperating plant life with the signs and the hydro poles could be pretty cool/interesting.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 12:34 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
no,no,no,no,no,no,no and finally no.

Did you completely disregard my phrase "increased density" I was merely stating that it would be cool to have the green idea phased in with green roofs and things like that so that we can continue to expand our elm population. Also incorperate trees into the street life as well such as seen in osbourne village (very dense yet very green)
Actually I was just building in a point - it would seem we both agree on - into what I was saying.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 4:54 PM

Was there not discussion about replacing the surface lots with parkades that had office space/living space (apartments, condos, etc..) on top?

Or am I mistaken?

Like, didnt some guy from New York get hired to do a plan or something?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 6:44 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Was there not discussion about replacing the surface lots with parkades that had office space/living space (apartments, condos, etc..) on top?

Or am I mistaken?

Like, didnt some guy from New York get hired to do a plan or something?
Probably right next door to the New York firm that came up with "Spirited Manitoba".

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 5:54 PM
BANNED

How about that lot across from Burton Cummings? This would be ideal (although somewhat smaller)...I love triangular-shaped buildings, too...

Across from the former Canada Post?

or perhaps we should introduce some housing along Graham?

Last edited by Winnipegger@Heart; Jul 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 8:39 PM

Oh man Winnipegger...

those look awesome.

What are those? Renderings? Proposed plans? In process plans? From other cities?

Are there not 18 new Downtown high rise towers projected to be built in the next 25 years?

The issue of surface lots is something that the city seems to make a fuss about, but isnt really doing anything actively as far as I can see

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 6:05 PM

bump.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
bump.
Haha, just looking, I love it..gotta keep it here.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 6:36 PM

Blight - The Surface Parking Lot Problem

Yes I realize this will be a mammoth task, as this is only 1 image,....but some of these surface lots are going away? (work in progress), I need more band with and hard drive capacity to get all these photos into one cohesive unit.. Winnipeg's parking lot conundrum.

google.maps.ca

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 11:52 AM

Thanks for posting that Cyrodill...it is a conundrum. All that surface parking creating significant "dead zones".
I'd be very interested to know, what percentage of people communting from Winnipeg suburbs enjoy downtown parking compared to other cities in Canada. The photo you posted almost makes it seem that if you want to work downtown there is alot of available parking.
So I have to Wonder, these surface lots allow Suburban cummuters the luxury of living in the Burbs and driving to work on a daily basis. If these lots start to dissappear, and the cost of parking downtown increases, would these commuters to downtown begin taking Public transport rather than pay the higher costs? Or would they encourage downtown employers to move out of downtown for cheaper or even free parking in Suburban commercial parks?

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
Thanks for posting that Cyrodill...it is a conundrum. All that surface parking creating significant "dead zones".
I'd be very interested to know, what percentage of people communting from Winnipeg suburbs enjoy downtown parking compared to other cities in Canada. The photo you posted almost makes it seem that if you want to work downtown there is alot of available parking.
So I have to Wonder, these surface lots allow Suburban cummuters the luxury of living in the Burbs and driving to work on a daily basis. If these lots start to dissappear, and the cost of parking downtown increases, would these commuters to downtown begin taking Public transport rather than pay the higher costs? Or would they encourage downtown employers to move out of downtown for cheaper or even free parking in Suburban commercial parks?
Hey Widget, welcome, percentage curious as well but in comparison I don't know.
When it came to working downtown, Old Canada Post Bldg., I always parked in the graham lot now rumored to be the new Fortress Dev. site. 8$/day,with my wage,didn't think much about it. I even parked underground at the Library across the street,when it became real cold, more expensive, didn't bother me.

So I guess in general, I wanted to drive, rather than take transit. For a winnipeger, maybe others, as well..I would rather drive & pay the cost rather than save with transit. Always had a vehicle. I'm trying to change my habits in this regard but many people still will drive and pay,employers will look for suburban locations with free parking. As lots dissapear it may get to a point where you must take transit downtown. Maybe it will force me as well.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
Casual parking (ie pay each day) parking downtown can be found with it rare that lots are 100% full, that said they are mostly over 75% full on a daily basis. Most of the desirable lots having waiting lists for monthly parking spots. The cost of a monthly parking spot is downtown seems to average about double a non-discounted monthly transit pass and has kept pretty stead with that benchmark.

In terms of the affects of reducing availability of parking downtown and how it will impact employment patterns, it will definitely push offices to suburban locations. Matter of fact that is already starting to happen with Western Financial moving from downtown (near Portage and Broadway) to Polo Park. If enough pressure continues to be put on downtown parking we could see more losses like that.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:36 PM
surely you agree with me

comparison btw 1946 & 2013

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:37 PM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of the affects of reducing availability of parking downtown and how it will impact employment patterns, it will definitely push offices to suburban locations. Matter of fact that is already starting to happen with Western Financial moving from downtown (near Portage and Broadway) to Polo Park. If enough pressure continues to be put on downtown parking we could see more losses like that.
I do believe Western Financials preference was initially to stay downtown, sure parking would be more readily available/cheaper in a suburban setting but there was another factor other than parking that made them choose a non downtown location.

Quote from Article
Safety kills downtown deal
Firm chooses Polo North amid employee fears
By: Murray McNeill Posted: 06/2/2011

Randy Valpy said the reasons WFG chose Polo North include cheaper rent, cheaper parking rates and the ability to add more space down the road. But one of the main reasons was employees' and management's concern about downtown safety at night.

Valpy said some of the firm's 350 employees work until 10 p.m., and they were worried about having to catch a bus or walk to their cars downtown that late at night.

"If we were a nine-to-five operation, we probably would have jumped all over it (a downtown site)," he said. "But at the end of the day, it came down to knowing our employees would be fine. We just felt better about Polo Park."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...123008278.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan