HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:28 AM
I am a typical

Haha, Chinese food in rural areas is fantastic! They serve toast with everything! We have an "authentic" Chinese restaurant here that makes a hell of a burger!

I always thought the 14+ was referring to the age of people they want to shop there. NOT SO! It's a store for fat chicks!

BTW, I've heard people from small towns and reserves in NWO refer to Thunder Bay as a "big city". And yet we refer to Duluth, which is more than twice our size, as a "town".

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Perhaps you'll change your mind when Winkden has its own International Airport.

You could always make the big move to Winnipeg.. and then call your friends back home and tell them about your life in the Big City.
lol an International Airport. You should see the landing strip in Winkler. It's right in the middle of the manufacturing sector. It'll be a while before the 10 mile gap between Morden and Winkler gets filled with more middle class developments and another Tim Hortens.

As for going to the city, I'll be off to University next year, and my life will continue then. As of now, I try and visit the city at least twice a month. I used to live in St. Norbert, but circumstances brought me out here.

Yea, and the chinease in my town is great, but they too have a killer burger. I also dislike people who fathom and get scared away by big populations, such as any place over 100 000. Honestly, things are better, and progress is made, in big cities, not small towns. (Well, progress that matters, anyway)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:37 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
lol an International Airport. You should see the landing strip in Winkler. It's right in the middle of the manufacturing sector. It'll be a while before the 10 mile gap between Morden and Winkler gets filled with more middle class developments and another Tim Hortens.

As for going to the city, I'll be off to University next year, and my life will continue then. As of now, I try and visit the city at least twice a month. I used to live in St. Norbert, but circumstances brought me out here.

Yea, and the chinease in my town is great, but they too have a killer burger. I also dislike people who fathom and get scared away by big populations, such as any place over 100 000. Honestly, things are better, and progress is made, in big cities, not small towns. (Well, progress that matters, anyway)

Yes, I can relate. Small town living isn't my style either.

As far as the Morden - Winkler gap ...they used to say the same thing about the gap between Charleswood and Old Winnipeg back in the 50's... and now its just one continious city. I am also sure a small plane has taken off from the Winkler air strip and landed in the states at some time...

Congrats on your coming relocation to Winnipeg.

Last edited by newflyer; Jul 11, 2008 at 6:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:40 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
I also dislike people who fathom and get scared away by big populations, such as any place over 100 000. Honestly, things are better, and progress is made, in big cities, not small towns. (Well, progress that matters, anyway)
Ha, things in "cities" over 100,000 aren't much better. If you've been following local politics in Thunder Bay lately (and I know you have been! ) we're practically a failed state.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, I can relate. Small town living isn't my style either.

Congrats on your coming relocation to Winnipeg.
Thanks. It's exciting to see where the future will lead, and as cynical as this may seem, I don't see much of a future in rural living. It's good to raise kids in, but I don't want to be stuck doing the same manufaturing job for the rest of my life. (ie paper press at Friesens Book Manufacturing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Ha, things in "cities" over 100,000 aren't much better. If you've been following local politics in Thunder Bay lately (and I know you have been! ) we're practically a failed state.
Yea, but don't feel bad, every city has their red tape and political problems, and yes, Winnipeg too.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:44 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Thanks. It's exciting to see where the future will lead, and as cynical as this may seem, I don't see much of a future in rural living. It's good to raise kids in, but I don't want to be stuck doing the same manufaturing job for the rest of my life. (ie paper press at Friesens Book Manufacturing)
A city like Winnipeg definatly offers a much wider range of opportunities than would a small town/city.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:47 AM

Quote:
A city like Winnipeg definatly offers a much wider range of opportunities than would a small town/city.
Oh for sure, and you can even take a plane to another city with another set of opportunities if you really really want!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:49 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Yea, but don't feel bad, every city has their red tape and political problems, and yes, Winnipeg too.
Yes, but Winnipeg is a democracy. My "representative" was appointed to a three year term! (The one who won the election dropped out to become a union big wig. The old guy was voted in by council, 6-5, to replace him for the remaining three years of the term.)

Voter turn out 36%!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Yes, but Winnipeg is a democracy. My "representative" was appointed to a three year term! (The one who won the election dropped out to become a union big wig. The old guy was voted in by council, 6-5, to replace him for the remaining three years of the term.)

Voter turn out 36%!
Wow, sounds like the American population.
Quote:
You know you are somewhere when you're city is on the globe of the earth.

With the way things are going in Winnipeg you shouldn't have to look to hard to find some good opportunities.
Yea, you're right. There is a lot happening, and there is too much negative talk and comparison with other cities that can exploit only the bad. You have to take both into account before you can make an accurate assumption. Winnipeg has a lot of potential, along with many other Canadian cities, and if we can shield ourselves from American Recession, we're good. Well, I'm out. Nice talking. Good night.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:51 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Oh for sure, and you can even take a plane to another city with another set of opportunities if you really really want!
You know you are somewhere when you're city is on the globe of the earth.

With the way things are going in Winnipeg you shouldn't have to look to hard to find some good opportunities.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:56 AM
I am a typical

Hey guys, I hate to say this but I think we're off topic.

If it was my fault I'm sorry.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 3:18 PM
Has been

I dare say off topic discussion is the only thing that will keep this thread alive.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 6:10 AM
Project manger

May I make a sugestion. I dont post much on here because I find there are so many users that posts tend to Vanish. I find that pictures often keep threads alive, and SSP in that reguards lacks a ton. I would LOVE to see pictures of projects in places away from the main stream. Could some one post these? Even pull them off a site from the company behind the project.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 10:40 PM
high expectations

Quote:
Ugh, I guess it's time to admit it: Despite what my original user name would suggest, I do not infact, currently live in Winnipeg. Actually, I live an hour south in a small town, not to far from Winkler. I hate it. That high rise? There are two of them, there should be one on the opposite side of the highway. They are not a big deal. In fact, where I live, in a small community of no more than 4 thousand, we have a five storey condo plaza right in the middle of town, only for the wealthy seniors. Yep, things are for the elderly down here in southern Manitoba. Winkler has nothing special, trust me. Yea, there is a walmart and superstore, a Tim Hortens and soon, an A&W *gasp*. And if you want to get really fancy, there is a Boston Pizza just east of Morden, right in the middle of nowhere. Makes it look like their expecting development to spurt up right around them. Things sure are booming down here.

lol, your actually really getting me intersted.. no jokes

can you take some pictures of the area and developments around winkler - morden?

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 1:15 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post

can you take some pictures of the area and developments around winkler - morden?
LOL .. we should all take a field trip to Winkden.

We could all go for coffee at the new Tim Hortons.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post

Umm, I could try, I mean, usually if I go for a trip, (other than to walmart ) then I go to winnipeg, but i'll see what I can do. Man, you people don't get out much, but then again, there isn't much to see out here. I mean, the stuff out here is smaller than Steinback, so if you've been there, you've seen it all, but I'll see what I can come up with within the next few weeks, no guarantees though.

Quote:
LOL .. we should all take a field trip to Winkden.

We could all go for coffee at the new Tim Hortons.
lol, that Tim Hortens has been there for at least 4 years I think, probably longer.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 3:55 AM
Capitalist

Quote:

lol, that Tim Hortens has been there for at least 4 years I think, probably longer.

Well I am sure there will be another one sometime soon, if its growing like people are saying.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 9:19 PM
working stiff

An idea worth considering...

Dundurn wants RMs to run Blackstrap, not province
By Wendy Gillis, TheStarPhoenix.com
Published: Tuesday, July 22, 2008

SASKATOON - The reeve of the RM of Dundurn will push for Blackstrap Provincial Park to be run regionally at a meeting discussing the park's future tonight in Dundurn.

Fred Wilson says Blackstrap park and ski hill have gone downhill under provincial management, having been allowed to deteriorate in favour of Pike Lake Provincial Park.

Wilson has been reeve of the area for six years, and grew up in Dundurn. He says the park has not been given the attention it needs to meet its full potential.

"Blackstrap's been neglected. There were electrified campsites put in 10, maybe 12 years ago, and the road system has just not been kept up," he said.

He says Pike Lake, located closer to Saskatoon, has been maintained as a provincial park instead of Blackstrap, receiving more funds and recently getting new electrified campsites.

If the park was managed by the municipalities in the region, Wilson says they would significantly increase the facilities offered. They could develop a golf course and swimming pool, as well as build cabins, housing and more campgrounds.

He would also like to see the Blackstrap Ski Hill re-opened, and become Saskatoon's first choice for winter recreation.

Wilson says there is a lot of support for the idea from surrounding municipalities, as well as the Whitecap Dakota First Nation in the area.

Initially, the province would have to provide some financial support, but the ultimate goal would be to generate enough business to make the park self-sustaining.

wgillis@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2008

Source

Last edited by Ruckus; Aug 12, 2008 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 10:11 PM
Urban Dreamer

I think that's a stellar idea! It would really promote local development as well it would inject millions of dollars into that RM. It would be nice to see them construct some more possible ski hills which could really increase the draw for winter. I'm pro RM take over!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 9:49 PM
working stiff

Saskatchewan First Nations groups are becoming quite aggressive with resource development on their lands; the provincial and federal governments may see these development proposals as a solution to on-reserve poverty through greater first nation participation in the economy.

It will be interesting to see how federal and provincial governments respond to these proposals. In past proposals, the provincial government has indicated they are supportive of joint-ventures between private firms and First Nations groups. Although, First Nations leaders have stated they intend to seek greater autonomy from government in the development of their resources as a way to ensure royalty dollars derived from these projects are committed to First Nations communities and programs.

First Nations make oilsands deal
FSIN to discuss recent Taiwanese trade mission at news conference
Jon Harding, Canwest News Service
Published: Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A fledgling oilsands venture in Saskatchewan involving four First Nations communities and Taiwanese refining giant CPC Corp. will "freeze up" a relatively small swath of 20,000 hectares of prospective oilsands land along the Alberta-Saskatchewan border before the end of the year.

The curious joint venture, details of which have been trickling out since last week, will be highlighted again Thursday at a news conference in Saskatoon.

At the news conference, Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations (FSIN) Chief Lawrence Joseph is expected to discuss a recent trade mission to Taiwan that led to three separate memorandums of understanding between Taiwanese business interests and Saskatchewan First Nations, representing a total of roughly $1 billion worth of future trade and investment.

Included among them is the oilsands agreement involving government controlled CPC Corp. and Beardy's and Okemasis First Nation of Duck Lake north of Saskatoon, Flying Dust First Nation of Meadow Lake, Witchekan Lake First Nation and Cowessess First Nation.

The four Native groups will bypass the Saskatchewan government's normal exploration rights auction process and lock up the land they need through the Treaty Land Entitlement program.

None of the four groups has used the entire breadth of their land allotments under the 1976 deal that gave Saskatchewan's First Nation communities $500 million to buy 400,000 hectares of unoccupied Crown land, including subsurface resource rights.

Another six Saskatchewan First Nation groups, which also have the option to secure land through the program, have been invited into the oilsands venture, with the intention to secure as many as 50,000 hectares in total.

"It's the whole crux of the joint venture," Ken Thomas of Saskatoon said Tuesday.

The former FSIN negotiator brokered the agreement. CPC has agreed to spend as much as $800 million of its own money to acquire leases and explore for oilsands resources in Saskatchewan.

Land nominated through the Treaty Land Entitlement program is frozen for up to 18 months to give the Saskatchewan government enough time to assess its value.

Meanwhile, Thomas said CPC is partnering with First Nations because the company is "aware" of friction that has flared up from time to time between oilsands players on both sides of the border and Native groups.

"It's insurance for them," Thomas said.

"They are also kind of looking for a local guide, someone who can pick up the phone and call the premier or the minister of energy, what have you. The chiefs can do that."

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2008

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan