HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
WestJet does not own any aircraft, they are all leased.

There are a lot of 767 aircraft available for lease right now.
Not true.
Quote:
(iii) At December 31, 2013, of the 69 Boeing 737 NG 700 aircraft in our fleet, 30 are leased (2012 – 30) and 39 are owned (2012 - 39).
(iv) At December 31, 2013, of the 23 Boeing 737 NG 800 aircraft in our fleet, 14 are leased (2012 – 14) and 9 are owned (2012 – 4).
Page 38

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 1:51 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

OK, thanks. Looks like they changed their business model.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 3:27 AM

There's lots of news articles available with clarifications to questions...

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014...s_in_2015.html

Says they will be used planes, and WestJet has yet to decide if they'll buy or lease. They'll announce the aircraft type by the end of the month.

Current 757 flights Alberta to Hawaii are through an agreement with Thomas Cook.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
In sense, yes. The NW/SE runway, being 13/31 is quite short, but could be enough for the A380 to land, and since 18/36 is closed for resurfacing, and is longer, had an emergency landing takes place, it would be the only runway available to it.

Keep in mind that since we are 700+ feet above sea level, the air density is a bit thinner than it would be if we were at sea level, so the A380 would have to aim for the very edge of the beginning of 13/31 for a full stop to maximize the length of the runway, which is 8700 ft. (18/36 is 11,000 ft long).
It's been a while since I read your fine thread here.

Rwy 13-31 [8700'] would be plenty sufficient to land an A380 on. Where rwy length is more of an issue is when an aircraft takes off. The '380 would have issues with regards to departing 13-31 when fully loaded on a high-density altitude day and with no wind. Moreover, 783' above MSL is not a ball-breaker either. (Relatively speaking.)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:23 PM

Courtyard by Mariott at airport was getting their windows washed today so it must finally be opening

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 10:04 PM

Courtyard Winnipeg Airport

Appears the first night they are taking reservations for is Thursday, July 24, 2014:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...nipeg-airport/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 10:42 PM

^ Ooh my birthday! Maybe I'll convince the significant other to get a room for the night to check it out!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:39 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been said already. But anyway....
WestJet is starting a YWG to FLL! Starting Nov 1 this year on Saturday mornings!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't been said already. But anyway....
WestJet is starting a YWG to FLL! Starting Nov 1 this year on Saturday mornings!
huge news, hope their price is comparable (within 20%) to Allegiant Air to save the grand forks drive

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 4:14 PM

from free press
Winnipeg to get direct flight to Mexican resort town Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo

Winnipeggers will have an easy link to the soothing heat of the Mexican Pacific coast this winter when Sunwing Vacations starts a weekly direct flight from Winnipeg to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo.

The direct flights from Winnipeg to Ixtapa will operate weekly on Thursdays from December 11, 2014 until April 2, 2015.

Sunwing operates a number of resorts in the southern west coast Mexican location.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
from free press
Winnipeg to get direct flight to Mexican resort town Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo

Winnipeggers will have an easy link to the soothing heat of the Mexican Pacific coast this winter when Sunwing Vacations starts a weekly direct flight from Winnipeg to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo.

The direct flights from Winnipeg to Ixtapa will operate weekly on Thursdays from December 11, 2014 until April 2, 2015.

Sunwing operates a number of resorts in the southern west coast Mexican location.
Hoping for a direct to somewhere in Europe.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Hoping for a direct to somewhere in Europe.
They won't have trouble selling European tickets, I'm sure.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 3:25 PM

Here are some flight that I'm sure we could sell, at least weekly.
LHR (767/777/330/787/350)
JFK (737/320)
HNL (777/330/340/350/787)
DXB (777/340/787)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:17 PM

Not sure there would be high demand for DXB. LHR and JFK both have such high traffic volumes getting a time slot would make a direct from YWG less than ideal. HNL will likely happen in three years time once WestJet settles in with their wide body fleet. For a direct Europe flight something of a secondary airport like Dublin that WestJet is currently flying.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:51 PM

Newark in an E-Jet is the most likely somewhat on that list. Edmonton has a direct flight and in 2012 trips between the city pair was 53,265 versus Winnipeg's 34,082. Winnipeg is much closer to a major American hub though where economies of scale can cut out the profit of a direct.

When Icelandair starts receiving its 737Maxs, I could see that. I am not sure Winnipeg could support a wide body service to Europe, especially with the airframe crunch currently going on. The yield would have to be better than an extra frequency from points further west.

Let Icelandair build a market for awhile, then KLM or Air Canada can swoop in and capture that traffic with a direct to Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

HNL will be a challenge. There would have to be a distinct advantage for the airlines instead of connecting through the western three. Maybe Rouge will have enough metal. Winnipeg had a total of 26,284 travelers to and from Hawaii in 2012. Calgary had 178,899, Edmonton 111,100, Vancouver 337,740, and Toronto 106,314. Kelowna had nearly as many trips as Winnipeg at 24,334. Saskatchewan's total is more than Winnipeg's. Victoria's is higher too. [Statscan table]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Jul 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Newark in an E-Jet is the most likely somewhat on that list.
I agree. Winnipeg has a good selection of domestic and sun destinations, but does seem oddly underserved in relation to US destinations... adding EWR would be a great start, although I'd love to see either SFO/LAX to give us direct access to a Pacific gateway other than Vancouver.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:22 PM

I think a big part of the issue with YWG-HNL currently is the cost of the flights is stupid. If you are going from YWG to someplace warm the value you could get elsewhere for the money needed to get to HNL makes the choice impractical. Assuming WestJet is going to build up partnerships on the island and be selling a lot of complete vacation packages the prices should start to drop relative to other choices. If you also factor in WestJet expanding its fleet of planes that could complete a YWG-HNL direct and I would not rule out a once a week flight.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think a big part of the issue with YWG-HNL currently is the cost of the flights is stupid. If you are going from YWG to someplace warm the value you could get elsewhere for the money needed to get to HNL makes the choice impractical. Assuming WestJet is going to build up partnerships on the island and be selling a lot of complete vacation packages the prices should start to drop relative to other choices. If you also factor in WestJet expanding its fleet of planes that could complete a YWG-HNL direct and I would not rule out a once a week flight.
HNL is not really that likely as a direct destination from Winnipeg. HNL is the same distance from Winnipeg as London (well, London is 100 miles farther), so that kind of distance makes it hard to compete with Mexico and the Caribbean, both of which are much closer and therefore cheaper to get to (not to mention cheaper to stay at since you aren't paying USA prices). Of course many people will go to Hawaii for various reasons, but when Winnipeggers are looking for a reasonably priced getaway in the winter, I suspect that most will opt for the much cheaper destinations directly south from here.

In other words, I just don't think Hawaii is popular enough among Winnipeg vacationers to support regular flights... well, at least not anything beyond maybe a 1x a week charter on something like Sunwing or Transat.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 PM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
HNL is not really that likely as a direct destination from Winnipeg. HNL is the same distance from Winnipeg as London (well, London is 100 miles farther), so that kind of distance makes it hard to compete with Mexico and the Caribbean, both of which are much closer and therefore cheaper to get to (not to mention cheaper to stay at since you aren't paying USA prices). Of course many people will go to Hawaii for various reasons, but when Winnipeggers are looking for a reasonably priced getaway in the winter, I suspect that most will opt for the much cheaper destinations directly south from here.

In other words, I just don't think Hawaii is popular enough among Winnipeg vacationers to support regular flights... well, at least not anything beyond maybe a 1x a week charter on something like Sunwing or Transat.
Winnipeg will have to double it's numbers at the very least to be considered for a weekly / bi-weekly flight to HNL, both Alberta Cities have 100 thousand plus travelling there with Cowgary closing in on 200 thousand.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 PM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
Here are some flight that I'm sure we could sell, at least weekly.
LHR (767/777/330/787/350)
JFK (737/320)
HNL (777/330/340/350/787)
DXB (777/340/787)
My friends in Edmonton and Cowgary enjoy daily directs to western US cities such as Seattle, San Fran, LA, Phoenix, Vegas, Denver, Houston, Dallas. Time for the PEG to step it up!!!! A nice new airport that offers not a heck of a lot for direct flights to these destinations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan