HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 8:23 PM
World Traveler

I'm helping to manage some projects for our company to do work with our handful of buildings around manufacturing and warehousing & distribution - not in Austin, but another suburb. The amount of time we have to spend waiting on city approvals for the smallest things is ridiculous - and everything is contingent on something else. It's not even about the regulations, half the time...it's the twiddling of thumbs while we can't finish the work.

I say this as someone who generally doesn't mind a tad bit of oversight into businesses, especially around environmental stuff. But some of it is just ridiculous. My boss and I (and several others) are not thrilled with the inefficiencies.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 7:57 PM

Plunging Home Prices, Fleeing Companies: Austin’s Glow Is Fading
Even a slowing Austin economy is still hot enough to be the envy of a lot of other places.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-office-woes

Quote:
After a 12-year streak as the fastest growing large metro area in the US, Austin lost that slot in 2023. An office glut has pushed the vacancy rate 5 percentage points higher than the US average, according to data from Colliers. Home prices have dropped 18% from the pandemic highs seen in May 2022, the most among the 50 largest US metro areas, Redfin data show. Even so, the city ranks as one of the least affordable housing markets.

Quote:
Tech Cools
Austin saw a boom in corporate relocations during the pandemic that has since slowed. In 2022, 64 companies either moved their headquarters or significant operations to Austin, according to a local development group. That number dropped to 37 in 2023. This year, Austin has seen only 11 such moves.

And some major players are dialing back their presence. Meta decided not to move into a new office space in downtown Austin and instead sought to sublease 589,000 square feet. The Austin American-Statesman reported that Google still hasn’t moved into a 35-story sail-shaped building it leased that overlooks downtown’s Lady Bird Lake.

This month, Austin-based Tesla said it will lay off 2,688 workers in the city as part of a plan to slash more than 10% of its global workforce.

The increase in Austin’s cost of living over the past few years as home prices boomed has dimmed its attractiveness for relocations, according to Steve Triolet, a senior vice president at Partners Real Estate, which has an office in Austin. But he noted it’s still cheaper than coastal locations like New York City, and a lot more hip than other Texas cities like Dallas and Houston.

Austin has became one of the most overvalued real estate markets because incomes didn’t keep up with the soaring prices, according to Moody’s.

“Valuations just rose to an unsustainable level,” said Matthew Walsh, an economist at the firm. He’s expecting home prices in Austin to remain under pressure over the next two years as prices drop to be more in line with income levels.

Oracle had 4,200 employees in Austin as of September 2023, according to Opportunity Austin, and it isn’t clear how many may head to Nashville. An Oracle spokesperson didn’t respond to a question about what the move means for its footprint in Texas.

Ellison, speaking at an event in Nashville this week, revealed that the company is developing a campus in the Tennessee city, moving it closer to a major health-care hub to align with the software giant’s ambitions in the industry.

“It’s the center of our future,” he said.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 8:06 PM

Austin is doing fine. It's the second fastest growing large metro. Nothing is moving to Nashville other the the "HQ" title. The Nashville campus has been in the works for three years, and Oracle is still in the process of expanding it's Austin campus. Austin is way too expensive, and too many CRE types act as if lower rents and home prices is a bad thing. Hopefully the supply keeps increasing to the point where Austin is affordable again and growth shifts back to the City instead of the suburbs.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-adam View Post
Plunging Home Prices, Fleeing Companies: Austin’s Glow Is Fading
Even a slowing Austin economy is still hot enough to be the envy of a lot of other places.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-office-woes

Articles framed like this provide such a clear differentiation between the interests of the real estate lobby and YIMBY activists.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdman89 View Post
Articles framed like this provide such a clear differentiation between the interests of the real estate lobby and YIMBY activists.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 2:34 AM
クラブトクヨ

Omg this oracle thing is so overblown. As if oracle making address change of its HQ means Austin is dead now. I like how these articles don’t mention apples 1 billion campus that is currently expanding beyond that. Austin is dead dead dead. These articles are so tiring.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Omg this oracle thing is so overblown. As if oracle making address change of its HQ means Austin is dead now. I like how these articles don’t mention apples 1 billion campus that is currently expanding beyond that. Austin is dead dead dead. These articles are so tiring.
Agreed

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 2:06 PM

Quote:
When you're on top... When you're doing well... Many want to root against you. So they skew or hide facts while speaking with hyperbolic overtones. It's clickbait for the haters.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 3:23 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

For anyone freaking out about Austin's supposed fading...

"Dear lemmings, allow me to introduce you to our cliff."

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah, they really need to stop with all of the gloom and doom.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 3:15 AM

I don't know... the fact that we haven't had another 1000+ footer announcement worries me. If the city is indeed doing well, then Waterline can't be our only supertall.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
I don't know... the fact that we haven't had another 1000+ footer announcement worries me. If the city is indeed doing well, then Waterline can't be our only supertall.
I think the fact that Austin will have a single super tall is an indication of well-being, however, occupancy regardless of height is the better indicator.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 1:36 PM
World Traveler

This is the first supertall in Austin. For years of healthy growth, there was no supertall. For many wildly successful cities around the world, there are no supertalls. A supertall in and of itself is not an indicator of economic health.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 1:47 PM

I don't wish economic strain on anyone, but it tickles me seeing all the fat trimming for those tech jobs where people literally don't do anything and get paid $100k+ just to edge all day next to their computer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I don't wish economic strain on anyone, but it tickles me seeing all the fat trimming for those tech jobs where people literally don't do anything and get paid $100k+ just to edge all day next to their computer.
jealous?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:07 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
jealous?
Tbqfh, yes. That money should be going to other people who could add more value to the economy.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Tbqfh, yes. That money should be going to other people who could add more value to the economy.
such as yourself?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:41 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
such as yourself?
Such as most anyone? Two people doing construction at the same cost greatly outweighs one person sitting at a computer creating a gaming app.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Such as most anyone? Two people doing construction at the same cost greatly outweighs one person sitting at a computer creating a gaming app.
therapy can help you!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I’ve never liked any of your comments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin