HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 5:15 PM

^^^ There are still a lot of people slumlording it even in places like Wicker Park or Logan Square. Lots of people own shitty buildings and rent them out for cash which they massively underreport and don't actually use to maintain their buildings.

I'm managing a portfolio of 9 buildings in Logan Square right now that were essentially run that way for decades until the owner died. Massive mess, everything is set up as illegal SRO's and the tenants are hostile as soon as you disrupt the "$350/mo cash per bedroom" gravy train.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 6:11 PM
The City

^ That is probably the one positive that comes out of Chicago's abusive Building Dept.

These assholes drive up and down the streets and alleys slapping properties with violations left and right. Eventually these slumlords are forced to sell to rehabbers who will correct the violations in a process that certainly leads to gentrification.

Ironically, the City itself is a major force behind gentrification but of course it's much more politically convenient to blame the evil developers.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Can we all agree that market-rate (certainly impacted when city fees go up) is not greedy (an often abused term)...and anything less is voluntary donations?
I agree totally. The market determines this organically.

Renters want to pay as little as possible, while landlords will try to get as much as possible. Nothing greedy about this from either end. The two parties come to an agreement somewhere in the middle.

When TUP made his comment the other week about rents "should be" higher, this is what I think he meant to say: "As a landlord, I, of course, would prefer rents to be higher. But, I would also prefer rents to be higher, because that would force more neighborhoods to revitalize, because of the Spillover Effect, as renters look for cheaper alternatives in nearby neighborhoods".

Having said this, I don't think that rents are currently under-priced here. In order for one to believe that rents need to go up, would indicate that person having some advance knowledge that there are huge numbers of renters moving here, that have high incomes. Or, that they know of some plan on the table to move 100,000 new residents to the City, all of whom are making $100,000 per year or more, on average. Something like that WOULD cause demand to go up faster than developers can deliver, and so yes, rents would go up. But I don't think something like that is happening...people are moving to the city to be here, while some people are leaving the South and West sides, but not enough people moving here to justify raising rental prices at this time. Although, yes, in some areas, if a landlord rehabs a unit, asks for more money, and finds a renter to pay that, then yes, that sets the market and it is justified.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:52 PM

community meeting for 300 W. Huron St. tonight at the Godfrey

got this email from the RNRA (aka NIMBY MANIAC ORG)

so attend if you can, demand it be TALLER AND DENSER it is very close to the chicago avenue brown line stop!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 9:19 PM

Since the email says 24 stories, should't this be posted in the highrise thread?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 6:06 AM

Forgot to mention that over the weekend, I saw more fencing up around the SW corner empty lot at Clark & Chestnut. There were a few pieces of equipment there (a few days before that I saw some surveying equipment). Not sure if they were for that project or for the high rise going up across the street or this one... If you need a refresher then remember the SW corner is supposed to get 8 3000 sq ft row homes.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 6:19 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
community meeting for 300 W. Huron St. tonight at the Godfrey

got this email from the RNRA (aka NIMBY MANIAC ORG)

so attend if you can, demand it be TALLER AND DENSER it is very close to the chicago avenue brown line stop!
Maybe you could blow that graphic up a little - it's so tiny it's hard to read ...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Forgot to mention that over the weekend, I saw more fencing up around the SW corner empty lot at Clark & Chestnut. There were a few pieces of equipment there (a few days before that I saw some surveying equipment). Not sure if they were for that project or for the high rise going up across the street or this one... If you need a refresher then remember the SW corner is supposed to get 8 3000 sq ft row homes.
Yeah that's the "historic" looking Pritzker rowhouse project.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Maybe you could blow that graphic up a little - it's so tiny it's hard to read ...
lol sorry about that, couldn't resize it on my phone

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 6:23 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
lol sorry about that, couldn't resize it on my phone
If that's an Android phone, you can resize it by opening it in the Gallery app and then select the Edit icon (the little pencil at the top), then from the menu you can access in the upper right you can Export and adjust the image size in the export.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Can we all agree that market-rate (certainly impacted when city fees go up) is not greedy (an often abused term)...and anything less is voluntary donations?
Any anything more is...?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I hadn't been aware that there is such a problem in this city of landlords leaving so much market rate money on the table, in the aggregate.........I mean, clearly there are always specific cases of this, for whatever reason (great long-term tenants in place, desire to trade rent levels for occupancy, initially trying to stabilize an asset, etc.......but, as a widespread 'issue' in Chicago, as compared to other markets?? Perhaps I'm somewhat biased against the idea because I haven't really personally experienced it (much.....I can certainly think of one instance, but I can point to a particular reason behind it) to a significant extent, but.....I don't know......
I see many places sitting unrented for years because letting it sit empty is apparently better than lowering the rent and affecting the "market rate"

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
Any anything more is...?
Unoccupied.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 11:00 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I see many places sitting unrented for years because letting it sit empty is apparently better than lowering the rent and affecting the "market rate"
My condo association includes one commercial unit owned by a woman who is a lawyer and apparently can't be bothered to rent it. She has it nominally listed for rent, but I've heard her asking price is too high for the space (which doesn't surprise me - it's not a well-maintained space). Part of the problem is that she has had a few renters, and a bad experience with most of them. So she ends up paying over $1,000 per month in tax and assessment carrying costs to do nothing.

So I think there are those kinds of situations.

Then for more corporate-owned places, valuation of a place relies heavily on a multiple of their rent, and projected rents might result in a higher valuation, a higher valuation which the corporation can use as collateral for leveraged transactions - lower actual rent might significantly reduce their borrowing power compared to higher estimated rent.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
My condo association includes one commercial unit owned by a woman who is a lawyer and apparently can't be bothered to rent it. She has it nominally listed for rent, but I've heard her asking price is too high for the space (which doesn't surprise me - it's not a well-maintained space). Part of the problem is that she has had a few renters, and a bad experience with most of them. So she ends up paying over $1,000 per month in tax and assessment carrying costs to do nothing.

So I think there are those kinds of situations.

Then for more corporate-owned places, valuation of a place relies heavily on a multiple of their rent, and projected rents might result in a higher valuation, a higher valuation which the corporation can use as collateral for leveraged transactions - lower actual rent might significantly reduce their borrowing power compared to higher estimated rent.
Are we talking residential rentals or commercial? I don't think there are lots of residential units laying vacant for years.

Last edited by Vlajos; Dec 2, 2015 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Are we talking residential rentals or commercial? I don't think there are lots of residential units laying vacant for years.
I thought we were talking about retail spaces.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 5:47 PM
The City

Nuevo León restaurant in Pilsen was just destroyed by a fire!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that blows.

i haven't been there in a couple years, but i've always loved their food.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 5:59 PM

Speaking of retail spaces - I'm going to unveil my newest map which shows building permits indicating new business buildouts whether it's restaurants, bars, nail salons, banks, etc. These are hard to pick out in the permits since they don't have their own type and the verbiage around them often changes. This probably doesn't cover all of them because there's one type of verbiage which I'm not including usually but might suffice. I also am not including office buildouts in high rises in this unless it's ground level/basement space. This goes back right now to mid February but it'll go back to Jan 1st soon.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...M.kBOPYkXqRKH8

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Nuevo León restaurant in Pilsen was just destroyed by a fire!
I heard the sirens all night, but didn't realize it was Nuevo Leon until I saw the news this morning.

Serious loss for the neighborhood. My parents were going to Nuevo Leon 30 years ago. It was a neighborhood institution and the first really successful restaurant on what is now a bustling stretch of 18th St.

Seriously though, the gas infrastructure in Pilsen gives me the willies sometimes. It seems like every building is on the verge of an explosion...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development