Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 9:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Height is 1194'0"-7'9"CCD=1186'3"
i'm a bit confused by your equation.

are your saying that 1194"-0" is the height of the tower above CCD, and that the ground this tower sits on is +7'-9" above CCD, and therefore the 7'-9" should be subtracted from the 1194'-0" figure to get the actual height of the tower of 1186'-3"?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 9:53 PM
DENNAB

Nice! 50 feet taller than AON isn't a ton but still something and a great addition to the area.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:27 PM
MPLSXCHI

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:02 PM

I wish they could just chop off that most north Ramp from the Wacker Drive ramp and do some kind of grand stair down to the riverwalk. That ramp only exists to get cars exiting from LSD up to upper wacker. Without it, you'd just have to exit from LSD onto lower wacker and work your way up there some other way if needed. Seems like something we could live without...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicago Swi Sox View Post
I wish they could just chop off that most north Ramp from the Wacker Drive ramp and do some kind of grand stair down to the riverwalk. That ramp only exists to get cars exiting from LSD up to upper wacker. Without it, you'd just have to exit from LSD onto lower wacker and work your way up there some other way if needed. Seems like something we could live without...
NEVER!!! that is the quickest way to pick up my wife from work!! of course for a grand pathway from this to the riverwalk...i GUESS i can find a better way.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i'm a bit confused by your equation.

are your saying that 1194"-0" is the height of the tower above CCD, and that the ground this tower sits on is +7'-9" above CCD, and therefore the 7'-9" should be subtracted from the 1194'-0" figure to get the actual height of the tower of 1186'-3"?
Yes...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:43 AM

heres a cool video of Gems academy next door

http://www.gemsworldacademy-chicago....-Campus/Future

they said they broke ground back in march, but is this true? has there been any actual work on the site?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneboy96 View Post
heres a cool video of Gems academy next door

http://www.gemsworldacademy-chicago....-Campus/Future

they said they broke ground back in march, but is this true? has there been any actual work on the site?
ceremonial...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:51 AM
MPLSXCHI

Chicago Plan Commission approves tower that would be city's 3rd tallest
Blair Kamin-Contact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

November 19, 2015, 8:20PM

Quote:
Plans for a $1 billion hotel and condominium tower that would be Chicago's third tallest skyscraper easily won approval Thursday from the Chicago Plan Commission.

At 1,186 feet, about 40 feet higher than previously announced, the glass-sheathed Wanda Vista Tower, designed by noted Chicago architect Jeanne Gang, would supplant the 1,136-foot Aon Center as the city's No. 3 tower by height. It would rank behind only the 1,451-foot Willis Tower and the 1,389-foot Trump International Hotel & Tower.

"This is going to be an iconic tower in the heart of downtown Chicago," said Ald. Brendan Reilly, 42nd, before the vote, which amended an agreement governing development in the Lakeshore East area near the Aon Center. The previous height ceiling for the vacant lot on which Wanda Vista would rise was 640 feet. The amendment allows a tower of up to 1,200 feet.

The riverfront skyscraper is backed by the Wanda Group, a leading Chinese real estate developer, and Chicago's Magellan Development Group. Located in the 300 block of East Wacker Drive, it would be built alongside a viaduct that creates multiple street levels. The lowest one, known as Sub Wacker Drive, is home to a city auto pound.

The developers want to start construction next summer and complete the tower by 2020, Magellan Executive Vice President Sean Linnane said after the vote. He expressed confidence that the project can avoid the fate of the Chicago Spire, a planned 2,000-foot tower which received plan commission approval but lapsed into bankruptcy after construction began.

Financing for the Wanda Vista Tower is still being arranged, the developers said.
link

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:17 PM
MPLSXCHI

What's on Emanuel's China trip agenda?

GREG HINZ ON POLITICS

November 20, 2015

Quote:
It looks like Mayor Rahm Emanuel will be doing more than trying some dim sum and knocking down toasts on his quickie weekend trip to Guangzhou.

Getting details on the three-day visit to southern China—Emanuel leaves today and is due back by Nov. 23—has been pulling teeth. But I have confirmed that he'll be accompanied by execs from some big local firms that would like more business in China, including ADM, Motorola Solutions, Abbott Labs and law firm Mayer Brown.

Among those the mayor is scheduled to meet with are officials from Wanda Group, the big money behind the proposed Wanda Vista Tower on East Wacker Drive that's zipping through the zoning process and that Emanuel would really, really like to nail down for sure.

Officially, Emanuel and fellow Chicagoan Penny Pritzker, the U.S. commerce secretary, will attend the 26th session of the U.S. Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade. The group met here last year and will chat about corporate governance, a health care cooperation effort and partnerships in the agriculture and food areas.
link

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:24 PM

^^^ I love this, exactly what our mayor should be doing. Traveling around the world with a cadre of Fortune 500 execs and the US Commerce Secretary. This is how you raise your profile as a "Global A1 Uber+ World Tier Megacity". We'll be moving up on all sorts of Forture lists next year for sure.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:28 PM
MPLSXCHI

BTW Magellan is excepting info from Brokers now on there website.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:49 PM

Haha, that's hilarious! Yea, that's awesome news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ I love this, exactly what our mayor should be doing. Traveling around the world with a cadre of Fortune 500 execs and the US Commerce Secretary. This is how you raise your profile as a "Global A1 Uber+ World Tier Megacity". We'll be moving up on all sorts of Forture lists next year for sure.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 10:38 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Agree. Chicago has the infrastructure, population size/diversity/quality, culture, and business equity to be a major player in the world. Glad we have a shark like Rahm that's making things happen.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 3:22 AM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 6:08 AM

The story is behind a paywall, so you may have to copy and past the headline into Google to read it free.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...20-column.html

Chicago riverfront projects, big and small, have attractive potential

Blair Kamin Contact Reporter

November 20, 2015

Quote:
At first glance, the subjects of this week's two big architecture stories in Chicago are a Gulliver-and-Lilliputian pair.

Our Gulliver is the $1 billion Wanda Vista Tower, whose three glass-sheathed tiers would rise in the 300 block of East Wacker Drive. Designed by Chicago's Jeanne Gang and greenlighted Thursday by the Chicago Plan Commission, the hotel and condominium skyscraper is expected to rise to a height of 1,186 feet, making it Chicago's third tallest building.

Our Lilliputian is the planned Apple store at 401 N. Michigan Ave., which, at 32 feet tall, is a mere speck compared with Wanda Vista. Shaped by London's Foster + Partners and approved Monday by Chicago's planning department, it would consist of an entry pavilion on the Pioneer Court plaza that would lead to a below-grade selling floor on the Chicago River's north bank. Apple won't reveal the cost.

What do these disparately sized projects share? Their location along the river, of course. With the vibrant, still-growing extension of the downtown riverwalk and the construction of new office and residential towers at the meeting of the river's North and South branches, land along the once-industrial waterway is fast becoming Chicago's new Gold Coast — home to hyperexpensive real estate, an architectural showcase as well as a prime public space.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 12:25 PM

So the Wanda Vista Tower is 1,194 feet tall and not 1,186 feet.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
So the Wanda Vista Tower is 1,194 feet tall and not 1,186 feet.
The 1,194' figure is measured from CCD (Chicago City Datum). The ground level lowest main entrance is at 7'-9" above CCD. That lower most entrance is where we measure from.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 8:36 PM

Last edited by 123fakestreet; Feb 23, 2016 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 6:07 AM

8' makes a big difference!!! LOL!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture