HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:08 PM

How "Southern" would Atlanta feel it the capital was there instead of Washington?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Is there any sort of unified Southern identity that supersedes state identity in a similar way to what you see in New England? I always thought "The South" had a powerful identity, but are Southerners Southern first, Alabamans / Georgians etc. second? Or does the state identify come before being Southern?
They identify with their college football teams.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Then you've obviously never been to any black neighborhoods there.
Yeah, nothing says the American South like Haitian Creole, Jamacian Patois and doubles with kingfish roti. Pass the Scotch Bonnet sauce, just like they do in Alabama...
Quote:
The bottom line is people from the North that hate the South give Miami a pass. It's the only way they can wrap their heads around accepting the place.
Yes, that's it! It's all a vast conspiracy to hate the South, curiously excluding a random, not at all beloved city that has nothing to do with the South.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
I actually think this is a pretty good (cultural) indicator of 2018 "South". Places where college football is dominant pretty strongly coincide with "South".

SEC territory, in particular, is pretty contiguous with the most "Southern" parts of the U.S. Miami is actually known as a bad college football town.

Last edited by Crawford; Mar 20, 2018 at 11:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, nothing says the American South like Haitian Creole, Jamacian Patois and doubles with kingfish roti. Pass the Scotch Bonnet sauce, just like they do in Alabama...

Yes, that's it! It's all a vast conspiracy to hate the South, curiously excluding a random, not at all beloved city that has nothing to do with the South.
As usual, you'd rather show your ass than ever admit to being wrong.

We all know you're totally incapable of that, however.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I actually think this is a pretty good (cultural) indicator of 2018 "South". Places where college football is dominant pretty strongly coincide with "South".

SEC territory, in particular, is pretty contiguous with the most "Southern" parts of the U.S. Miami is actually known as a bad college football town.
Maybe on your block in Brooklyn. Say that to a UM alums face, and you better step back.

And the constant delusional attempt to separate Miami from the South continues...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Maybe on your block in Brooklyn. Say that to a UM alums face, and you better step back.

And the constant delusional attempt to separate Miami from the South continues...
Nothing compared to the South though. Miami fans typically are not putting their lives on hold and living in RV's following the team around. Miami follows its college team like a pro team. Not to mention UM is a small private school so it wont be filling 110,000 seat stadiums any time soon. Then again Atlanta isn't filling massive college stadiums either (GaTech), that is more of a small town south thing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Nothing compared to the South though. Miami fans typically are not putting their lives on hold and living in RV's following the team around. Miami follows its college team like a pro team. Not to mention UM is a small private school so it wont be filling 110,000 seat stadiums any time soon. Then again Atlanta isn't filling massive college stadiums either (GaTech), that is more of a small town south thing.
Pac12 has an SEC-like football following, even though the SEC has superior football programs. L.A. is more of a college football town first over the NFL.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Miami is infamous for having horrible football fan support, including awful attendance and student indifference. Probably no elite program has less support.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2014/10/13...lege-football/

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/si...n-life-6523409

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
I like this, it makes sense along with using the SEC as a rough proxy for the South. So, at risk of starting a whole separate flame war, is college football more a religion in the South / SEC or in the Midwest / Big 10-Big 12?

I never cared for college football, and most New Englanders don't get the whole obsession. Even when BC is good - and they're never actually good - everyone just shrugs and says, "Sure, but they're a guaranteed Frozen Four team this year!" We like or NCAA hockey for sure, but you can't compare that to my impression of how large parts of the rest of the country view college football.

Last edited by Shawn; Mar 23, 2018 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 1:25 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
So, at risk of starting a whole separate flame war, is college football more a religion in the South / SEC or in the Midwest / Big 10-Big 12?
I would say it's more of a religion in the south, at least from my chicago perspective where pro-football (and all pro sports) is very much dominant (bear down!).

But college football is definitely still a big deal in the midwest (unlike the northeast), just not to the same degree as i sense it is in the south. Maybe out in the sticks of the midwest there's more parity with the south.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 23, 2018 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 1:50 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i’m in the SEC AND midwest, most people don’t give two squirts of piss about college sports in the city, its majority NHL + MLB with a loud pro-soccer contingent. college football is a hick concern in the midwest from my view, except for the hordes of out-midwest transients i guess who end up in chicago (but really arent chicagoans).

that being said, i don’t think its a hick thing necessarily in the SEC.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions