HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
just from having watched numerous other new roads come into existence over the past few years, I think the roadbed can be poured and the pavement done pretty quickly, probably in time for the opening if they want to. but, the last I looked, there was still just a big pile of dirt at the southern (Mariposa) end, and little had been done on the intersection with Mariposa, so my conjecture is that they may open up the 16th St end first, and provide garage access that way temporarily? we'll see
Thanks for the additional info. Sounds reasonable, although you'd think they'd want 280 traffic to be able to feed right into Owens and the garage instead of having to head out Mariposa to the drop-off entry and wind back to the parking lots. Hopefully it will be pretty temporary.

In other Mission Bay news, the Giants are planning a pop-up food and retail area along China Basin Park. Built out of repurposed shipping containers, could be ready to go in March and would be a year-round temporary use until the full Mission Rock plan is ready to go.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:48 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
In other Mission Bay news, the Giants are planning a pop-up food and retail area along China Basin Park. ...
while I love the idea, I would think that this will be heavily used during baseball season, and not so much otherwise, at least for now. hope I'm wrong about that, but I just think it's too off the beaten path and the surrounding parking lot doesnt lend a good vibe if there's not a major event next door.

(and I'm still enthusiastic about Anchor Brewing's plans for the pier, and the Mission Rock development in general. hope for progress)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:59 PM

Yep, we'll see. Certainly doesn't seem like a big destination place, and the T doesn't go right by it. Could be a draw for those in the new MB South neighborhood, but even for them King Street is almost as close if they just head up Fourth.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 8:34 PM

San Francisco is starting to look just like Seattle.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
San Francisco is starting to look just like Seattle.
I noticed this in my most recent trip to SF. Walking around Hayes Valley the new developments around Octavia were evocative of what's going on in the PNW more so than SoCal. This Mission Bay development appears to follow suit. Not saying that's a bad thing...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:55 PM

Nektar taking another 20,000 square feet adjacent to its current facilities on MB Blvd South. Not sure how close to full those buildings are...Bayer is the other big one and there are some other smaller ones.

Mission Bay lab space filling up. Block 40 will add a bunch if they choose to go the biotech route with some of that space...feel like they're targeting tech office though. Believe Alexandria still controls the 1450 Owens parcel up near the roundabout, but that's slated for only a two-story building.

And of course Uber is slated to take the 1455/1515 Third campus that was originally envisioned as biotech. Speaking of which, original reports had said construction could start on Uber stuff as soon as this month, so keep your eyes peeled, local folks!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
... Speaking of which, original reports had said construction could start on Uber stuff as soon as this month, so keep your eyes peeled, local folks!
will do. didnt notice anything this past weekend...

here are a few shots from a few days ago...

a shot looking north up Fourth from UCSF, just to show that the new Rincon Hill development looms fairly large in MB, making the area feel that much closer to 'downtown'.

Third St sidewalk in front of public safety building, where scaffolding came down a couple weeks ago

the new artwork installed in Koret Quad on UCSF campus:

from Rutter Center

Kaiser, with EQR Potrero in background

some of the work going on for the little park on Mariposa (in the background is a large tent UCSF was using for a hospital event)

a shot showing that the old sidewalk is still in place around the Mariposa entrance to Owens, which I think means they still have some significant work to do there

from the Caltrain in the morning I can see that they are moving large quantities of dirt in the area, and there were PG&E trucks there today, but it was still hard to see what is going on from close up.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Third St sidewalk in front of public safety building, where scaffolding came down a couple weeks ago

The terrorists have won.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:12 PM

When I commented that SF was starting to look like Seattle, it wasn't a compliment. SF deserves better.....I thought they were supposed to be so "cool". You would never know it from their recent architecture. A magnificent setting with charm to boot. Don't let prosperity ruin it. (I won't mention SFMoma).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:48 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
When I commented that SF was starting to look like Seattle, it wasn't a compliment. SF deserves better.....I thought they were supposed to be so "cool". You would never know it from their recent architecture. A magnificent setting with charm to boot. Don't let prosperity ruin it. (I won't mention SFMoma).
Insult duly noted

Thanks for the continuing photo updates timbad.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:22 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
We've had years of bad architecture, including the majority of the downtown highrises (along with some good ones), so we certainly didn't just start this now! It's the density of them that is quite impressive.

Regarding SFMOMA, it's destined to rank among the greatest museums of modern art in the world.

Last edited by viewguysf; Jan 24, 2015 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's one small part of the city, dude.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:33 AM

bus!

MB is getting a new bus route, the 55, connecting it to 16th St BART, and this weekend noticed the first painted stop marker, on Mission Bay Blvd North near Third (which is currently sort of in the middle of nothing):

Last edited by timbad; Jan 29, 2015 at 8:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:49 AM

Owens

a couple looks at progress on the new section of Owens... from Rutter Center roof, I think you can see that half of the southbound lane has its foundation poured:

from across 16th. they were installing a streetlight in the median:

closer-up. for now they have only poured back to the garage, looks like:

up at the other end, here is the curb for the right-hand turn from westbound Mariposa onto Owens. still lots of dirt at this end

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 5:03 AM

UCSF bike path

the big news from the weekend was that the path sort of in the Fourth St alignment west of the hospital is now open (at least this was the first time no one stopped me when I tried to walk down it). pics are looking north but proceeding sequentially south. there is a wider section which I am not sure is intended only for bikes...

and a narrower path to the west maybe for pedestrians:

to the right is the strange little amphitheater-type structure:

to the right here is a circular formation of wooden benches:

the southern drop-off loop in front of the children's hospital

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:39 AM

finally. block 7

been waiting for this one for years... from socketsite, block 7W, on the corner of Fourth and MB Blvd North (the Commons), is set to break ground in April, and be ready for occupancy in 2016. 200 affordable units, designed by David Baker

edit: with the Family House also getting going on the eastern side of this block, it marks the first time the residential part of MB (north) and the UCSF campus (south) 'meet' across the void of the middle blocks of the neighborhood (altho the Commons parcel that actually lies between them has not been developed yet).

Last edited by timbad; Jan 29, 2015 at 6:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:27 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
MB is getting a new bus route, the 55, connecting it to 16th St BART, and this weekend noticed the first painted stop marker, on Mission Bay Blvd South near Third (which is currently sort of in the middle of nothing):

The 55 is having something of a soft opening--it's up and running a week before schedule, and taking passengers.

source

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
The 55 is ... up and running ...

so nice to see sleek new buses moving through the neighborhood, tying it to the rest of the city!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:07 AM

We couldn't be happier to be sharing Block 7 with affordable housing! So great for all of SF!

And for those of you interested in the construction of the Nancy & Stephen Grand Family House, we put together a short video of the "first concrete pour" from last week: http://youtu.be/-_R2tRd9CzY

-Family House

Quote:
been waiting for this one for years... from socketsite, block 7W, on the corner of Fourth and MB Blvd North (the Commons), is set to break ground in April, and be ready for occupancy in 2016. 200 affordable units, designed by David Baker

edit: with the Family House also getting going on the eastern side of this block, it marks the first time the residential part of MB (north) and the UCSF campus (south) 'meet' across the void of the middle blocks of the neighborhood (altho the Commons parcel that actually lies between them has not been developed yet).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 4:13 AM

Family House in da hou- oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyHouse View Post
We couldn't be happier to be sharing Block 7 with affordable housing! So great for all of SF!

And for those of you interested in the construction of the Nancy & Stephen Grand Family House, we put together a short video of the "first concrete pour" from last week: http://youtu.be/-_R2tRd9CzY

-Family House
speaking of you...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development