HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

F5 Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Seattle Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Seattle Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:18 AM

YES! Philippe Starck is the hotel's designer : )

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:12 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Box View Post
Well, sort of. He designed the original one in L.A., but since he retired, it's probably only in name.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:16 AM

Big doings, this past week on the Pacific Coast. First Wilshire Grand, now this.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:56 AM
Community Guy

Incredible design. Almost a bank of china for Seattle.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 4:23 AM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 12:52 PM
Everywhere all at once

Super excited for this, Seattle already has one of the nation's most beautiful and iconic skylines, and this will only help that.

Question- not to bring everyone down, but maybe the local Seattleites on here can confirm or deny this...which I believe I read somewhere a while back, but cannot be sure if I'm correct:

Isn't it true that after the Columbia Center was completed in 1985, that new legislation was put in place putting new limits on the size of buildings in downtown Seattle, effectively preventing a tower as tall or taller than Columbia from ever being built in the future? I'm wondering, but I hope that's not the case. I'd love to see a 1,000-footer in Seattle's future.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:12 PM

Reminds me a bit of Robert Stern's Tour Carpe Diem in Paris:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 4:34 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Super excited for this, Seattle already has one of the nation's most beautiful and iconic skylines, and this will only help that.

Question- not to bring everyone down, but maybe the local Seattleites on here can confirm or deny this...which I believe I read somewhere a while back, but cannot be sure if I'm correct:

Isn't it true that after the Columbia Center was completed in 1985, that new legislation was put in place putting new limits on the size of buildings in downtown Seattle, effectively preventing a tower as tall or taller than Columbia from ever being built in the future? I'm wondering, but I hope that's not the case. I'd love to see a 1,000-footer in Seattle's future.
Soon after the Columbia Center, voters passed a height limit of (IIRC) 485', about half CC's height. The City has chipped away at this. Today, a small area has no height limit, but even that has floor-area-ratio (FAR) limits that preclude another CC. Residential doesn't apply to FAR so maybe that's a way there, but not until housing prices go a lot higher.

Otherwise, we're limited to 500' plus a little room for bonuses, 10% for residential I think. Amazon's three towers and two hotel towers are planned for the 500' zones. We also have a lot of 400' zones, with some residential towers underway resultingly at 440'. Everyone goes to the limit.

Bellevue, our suburban second downtown, is just as bad. They're getting a 450' flat top.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Soon after the Columbia Center, voters passed a height limit of (IIRC) 485', about half CC's height. The City has chipped away at this. Today, a small area has no height limit, but even that has floor-area-ratio (FAR) limits that preclude another CC. Residential doesn't apply to FAR so maybe that's a way there, but not until housing prices go a lot higher.

Otherwise, we're limited to 500' plus a little room for bonuses, 10% for residential I think. Amazon's three towers and two hotel towers are planned for the 500' zones. We also have a lot of 400' zones, with some residential towers underway resultingly at 440'. Everyone goes to the limit.

Bellevue, our suburban second downtown, is just as bad. They're getting a 450' flat top.
In that case, I suppose we should savor this one.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 8:57 PM
Never Dell

Seattle will keep improving in terms of urbanism, but we'll never have a really tall skyline.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Seattle will keep improving in terms of urbanism, but we'll never have a really tall skyline.
Aww come on now... Seattle is beastly next to Detroit, Baltimore, Phoenix, all cities with larger populations. Even cities like LA, Houston and Atlanta with taller buildings don't have the density that Seattle has. Seattle doesn't need a Burj Khalifa to be a great city.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 2:54 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
If you don't like your skyline, have you considered moving to a larger city with taller buildings?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:55 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Aww come on now... Seattle is beastly next to Detroit, Baltimore, Phoenix, all cities with larger populations. Even cities like LA, Houston and Atlanta with taller buildings don't have the density that Seattle has. Seattle doesn't need a Burj Khalifa to be a great city.
Baltimore? Municipal population isn't relevant. Baltimore is a much smaller city. The other two have extremely small centers for their metro pops.

I didn't suggest that Seattle wasn't a great city, or needed taller towers to be great. That said, it's not great -- only good in my opinion. And moving quickly in the right direction.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:56 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
If you don't like your skyline, have you considered moving to a larger city with taller buildings?
What makes you think I don't like our skyline?

As for moving because of the skyline, what an odd idea. Does anyone choose a city based primarily on skyline?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 6:18 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
What makes you think I don't like our skyline?

As for moving because of the skyline, what an odd idea. Does anyone choose a city based primarily on skyline?
Believe it or not, but I have considered such a move myself, but my budget won't allow such an idea.

Some nice suburban towns offer amazing skyline views, depending on location of course.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 8:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Box View Post
I don't get it, how will that make the building better?

By the way, does anyone know how long it took the Egyptians to make the pyramids? I can't believe it took them as long to build them as this thing will take, if it ever gets built.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 8:16 PM
Website Manager

Hey Seattle guys has there been any action on this one yet?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 8:53 PM
Never Dell

In October they said something about starting by the end of the year. Nothing onsite last time I walked by.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 7:51 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I don't get it, how will that make the building better?

By the way, does anyone know how long it took the Egyptians to make the pyramids? I can't believe it took them as long to build them as this thing will take, if it ever gets built.
If they drastically change the design from the original design, I would love to see the original design shipped down to Portland and built there because this tower would look gorgeous in Portland as their new tallest building.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:29 PM
ARTchitecture

A fantastic tower, has it been approved yet? Any site prep?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive