HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:49 AM
Urbane observer

Yeah, you'll want to look at City of New Orleans vs. Dukes, 427 US 297 (1976), giving governments a lot of equal protection leeway in regulating businesses. In legal terms, the assumption of a "rational basis" for regulation gets a lot of deference.

The governing constitutional principle was stated in Katzenbach v. Morgan, supra, at 657:
"[W]e are guided by the familiar principles that a `statute is not invalid under the Constitution because it might have gone farther than it did,' Roschen v. Ward, 279 U. S. 337, 339, that a legislature need not `strike at all evils at the same time,' Semler v. Dental Examiners, 294 U. S. 608, 610, and that `reform may take one step at a time, addressing itself to the phase of the problem which seems most acute to the legislative mind,' Williamson v. Lee Optical Co., 348 U. S. 483, 489."

On its face, Ald. Hairston is only proposing a simple rezoning, and it will be enacted or not by the entire duly elected legislative body of the city, which unquestionably has the authority to do a rezoning. None of her statements about intent are really relevant. Should it come to pass, it's really tough to make inquiries into disparate impact part of the legal analysis. The actions of the legislature are presumed to have a rational basis, unless they make an actual racial distinction. An inquiry into disparate impact would only arise in a civil rights claim, which would be pretty hard to bring over a zoning change.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:25 AM

The 1 story bank w/drive thru at the corner of Ogden & Adams got a building permit on April 27th to replace it with a 4 story, 36 unit building with retail space. Currently:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8790...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Also, the former Farmers Garden Market at Lawrence & Bell was permitted for a new 5 story, 14 unit with commercial building on the same day:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9686...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:03 PM

Hotel Indigo ?

March 2015

May 2017

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:00 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Now The Julian. I think Oxford announced this in the last month or two.....

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Yet River North real estate is some of the highest priced residential real estate in the city, so you are wrong.

It also has the lowest office vacancy rate in the city.

Missing his point. North Michigan Avenue has one of (probably THE weakest) the weakest office markets in downtown.....yet, a few decades ago, it was the 'obvious' new office submarket of the future. That didn't pan out, of course, but it took some time for that to become obvious (longer for some than others). Know your fundamentals.....know your fashions......know the difference........

I find you also somewhat conflate the residential and office markets....

Also, just to expound on the current strong River North Office submarket. One needs to realize that 98% of River North's high quality office space is located within about ~2 blocks of the river (probably 90% within 1 block) in it's very large and/or trophy towers......in other words, the very closest part to the Loop proper......

Part of the reason (in addition to falling for a fashion, which by definition is short-termist) - and this is being overlooked somewhat - that some of these larger tenants are allowing themselves to be duped into going to Fulton market area is that it is quite a bit cheaper. That specific short-termism is factoring into the equation for what is in reality quite a long-term decision.....

Wait until we get another couple back-to-back polar vortex winters........watch the millenials cycle and walk across the expressway then.......there will be major buyer's remorse - again, maybe in 5 years, maybe in as long as 15 - but it will come....

One other pet peeve: Many are being duped into believing that there are literally billions and billions of $ right around the corner in infrastructure improvements and new rail lines, stations, etc etc to the West Loop/Near West Side and Greater Downtown. WTF? How gullible can folks be? One would need to be completely ignorant of the fiscal situation and current local, state and federal politics to even entertain such a notion of something like that coming together in the next decade+.....

The smart players over the last year or so - and stretching for the next few, in all likelihood (as bubbles can inflate for quite a while before eventually being pricked) are those landowners/property owners who are now selling.....the time to buy in Fulton Market/Far West Loop for the most part ended a year or two ago.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; May 8, 2017 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:28 PM

i recently started working in the fulton area and expected it to be a PITA to get to as im coming from the north side and traditionally get off the red line at state/lake. the reality is, its not remotely the issue i thought it would be. i just go up to the stairs to the green line, and im basically at Morgan in roughly 5 minutes once i get on the train. if anything, its faster than walking to my old office which was in the loop. im not sure what the big deal is.

in return, our company gets its own building (as opposed to sharing one with a million other tenants), and we got to build it out the way we wanted to. we get windows that open in the summer, get our own private roof deck, a sunlight filled space, we get space to grow. the area could use some more cheap eat/lunch options (a lot of the destination restaurants around there are simply too rich and heavy to eat on a regular basis), but that will come.

as far as infrastructure improvements, theyre already happening. both fulton and lake are torn up right now for new streetscapes. and what more do you want from the CTA? it already serves this area pretty well.

if anything its not "millennials" that are inconvenienced. its the senior staff that mostly takes metra in. im sure you'll probably start to see an increase in shuttle service, similar to those that serve 600 W Chicago and other more "remote" offices. but at least for the time being, parking isnt too bad some drive in and others have gotten in the habit of just getting on the CTA at clinton and taking it a stop over (and more to the point, how is this any more of a burden than getting off at Union Station and needing to walk all the way over to an office near Millennium Park?)

Last edited by Via Chicago; May 8, 2017 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
One other pet peeve: Many are being duped into believing that there are literally billions and billions of $ right around the corner in infrastructure improvements and new rail lines, stations, etc etc to the West Loop/Near West Side and Greater Downtown. WTF? How gullible can folks be? One would need to be completely ignorant of the fiscal situation and current local, state and federal politics to even entertain such a notion of something like that coming together in the next decade+.....

The smart players over the last year or so - and stretching for the next few, in all likelihood (as bubbles can inflate for quite a while before eventually being pricked) are those landowners/property owners who are now selling.....the time to buy in Fulton Market/Far West Loop for the most part ended a year or two ago.....
None of the landlords we talked to pitched anything like what you describe and I was present. Of course they noted the newish Morgan stop, bus access, walk distances, etc but we were already well aware since we've been in the area so long.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
March 2015

May 2017

Now that is artwork. preserve, preserve, preserve. Nice shots again harry.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:52 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ ^^^ I'm not talking about small-scale, boutiquey-type offices, just to be clear. They of course have a place very much so, just as they do in central and northern River North, and other parts of non-Loop greater downtown. I'm very much talking about office buildings containing hundreds of thousands of sq ft, and designed to house corporate HQs or large regional offices (which would ideally draw employees of all ages and family statuses, etc, from the entire metro area, ideally meaning lots and lots of metra commuters from many different suburban locations/directions.

And I'm not talking about $5 or $50 or even $500 million infrastructure projects - you're talking about a little streetscape improvement.. That doesn't cut it. I'm talking about new rail lines and large stations/hubs etc. Think $5 bil. $10 bil. etc. In other words, real infrastructure that would be required to make this a truly credible focal point of large scale office employment for the region. Some folks are out there selling stuff like this as if it's actually remotely feasible in the next 10-15 years. It is not coming.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
(which would ideally draw employees of all ages and family statuses, etc, from the entire metro area, ideally meaning lots and lots of metra commuters from many different suburban locations/directions.
I think this is a flaw in your assumptions. Companies aren't moving in from the suburbs to make things easier on their suburban employees. They're moving in to access the urban workforce that is young, has they skills they need, and doesn't want to commute to the burbs.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:

Also, just to expound on the current strong River North Office submarket. One needs to realize that 98% of River North's high quality office space is located within about ~2 blocks of the river (probably 90% within 1 block) in it's very large and/or trophy towers......in other words, the very closest part to the Loop proper......
Well that's patently false, 600 W Chicago alone is 2,000,000 SF of office which beats out 300 N LaSalle as the largest office building in River North (excluding Merch Mart which is kinda of an office building now, but just a totally unique property not just in River North, but perhaps globally). I have a hard time believing that 2,000,000 SF is less than 2% of the "high quality office space" in RN. I also don't believe that it's the only building outside of 2 blocks North of the River that counts as "high quality office space" whatever that means. 600 W Chicago has been operating as an office building for over a decade now with stunning success. That just goes to show that proximity to commuter rail isn't everything for office leasing and is further from the commuter rail stations than almost anything in the West Loop.

North Michigan Ave and Illnois Center started being built up on expectation of a subway line that never materialized. Then the golden age of the suburb and automobile (1980's and 1990's) led people to believe that transit access simply no longer mattered at all. So you got buildings like 900 N Michigan that were several blocks from even the nearest L stations with a big chunk of office space served primarily by a nasty ass garage at the base. Even then though, no one ever expected N Michigan Ave to supplant the loop, it just became an acceptable place to build such things because 90% of the workers were coming in by car from the burbs and the other 10% were taking the red line from Lincoln Park.

Quote:
Part of the reason (in addition to falling for a fashion, which by definition is short-termist) - and this is being overlooked somewhat - that some of these larger tenants are allowing themselves to be duped into going to Fulton market area is that it is quite a bit cheaper. That specific short-termism is factoring into the equation for what is in reality quite a long-term decision.....

Wait until we get another couple back-to-back polar vortex winters........watch the millenials cycle and walk across the expressway then.......there will be major buyer's remorse - again, maybe in 5 years, maybe in as long as 15 - but it will come....
Better to be "short-termist" than stuck in the 2000's. If prices are low now and what you are saying about it being a truly undesirable area is true, then prices will stay low. Simple economics. However, I believe you are not looking towards the future, but rather living in the past. If there is another polar vortex do you think the employees at Google are going to even leave the house to go in to the office? Or do you think that the defining trends that have shaped the office market beginning in the 1990's, you know the whole hotel stations and work from home, will continue?

Is it possible that the willingness of certain companies to locate in places like River North or West Loop is linked to the ongoing evolution of these trends? Maybe my buddy who works at Salesforce doesn't give a rats ass that there is no easy way to get to Illinois and LaSalle from Schaumberg because he works from home all but three or four days a year and lives in Logan Square? Maybe workers at one of the premier bike parts manufacturers in the world, Sram, don't care how close 1K Fulton is to Ogalvie because, unlike their parents who take the Metra in from Bartlett every day, they live in Avondale and bike to work every day, regardless of weather. Again, that's not a supposition, another friend of mine works at Sram and bikes from Avondale every day.

Perhaps employees at Google feel the same way about the West Loop, if they absolutely have to go into the office to work and it's -20 degrees, it's not like they can remotely call a car to exactly where they are and have it drive them to 20 feet outside of their office lobby. An Uber from Union Station to 1K Fulton is probably $2-5 depending on time of day and surge pricing. That's competitive with the price of a bus ride but involves way less walking. Same goes for McDonalds which is by far the most "conventional" tenant that has located there, their employees will adapt, they will move downtown or to the neighborhoods, they will learn to take the bus or an Uber if it's shitty outside or a Divvy if it's nice out. That's the future, offices are less critical to most worker's lives, short trips are cheap and convenient, new forms of transportation are radically changing the world, companies are cutting costs to make the most of these changes.

Quote:
Literally no one is saying this. Are you confusing this with the very real transit investment that did occur at Morgan? I don't think McDonalds thinks a circle line is coming to the West Loop or that Ogalvie will be relocated to Morgan and Kinzie. Where are you getting this stuff from?

What I think is that McDonalds, being one of the most successful, dynamic, and influential companies in history, see's the writing on the wall and knows that the times, they are a changin'. They have the foresight to see that the world is moving from an economy based on old school retail sales in a brand centric environment to one that is fixated on authenticity and experiential sales. They see the West Loop for what it is: the nexus of all that in Chicago. They know they need to not only study it from afar, but actually infuse that new culture into their company if they want to stay on top of the heap for the next generation. So to the West Loop they go. Besides, you talk of these moves as if all these companies were once right on top of the L at Jackson and Wells and are now sacrificing access to infrastructure. I mean have you been to the McDonalds campus? It doesn't have access to shit. They could literally have moved to any location within two miles of the Sears Tower and have had better access to transit infrastructure than they did before. Building an all new suburban style campus on the freight yards on Western South of Tri Taylor would have been a better option than they have now. Building in Lawndale on the Brach's site would have been better. Anywhere but fucking Oak Brook. But what stopped them from moving to the Loop? Well you already said, they are accustomed to Oak Brook lease rates. So the new West Loop office market has stuck the happy medium of being as close to downtown, metra, CTA, and freeways as possible while also offering them real estate costs that fit their model and are acceptable to their shareholders.

Not only are you wrong about the West Loop, but it makes perfect sense within the same parameters you use to knock tenants entering the market.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:00 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:08 PM
The City

Quote:
Missing his point. North Michigan Avenue has one of (probably THE weakest) the weakest office markets in downtown.....yet, a few decades ago, it was the 'obvious' new office submarket of the future. That didn't pan out, of course, but it took some time for that to become obvious (longer for some than others). Know your fundamentals.....know your fashions......know the difference........

I find you also somewhat conflate the residential and office markets....

Im not saying the the West Loop will replace the Loop as Chicago's primary office district. I'm just saying that the West Loop will become an office district. We can argue till we're blue, but it's becoming one before our very eyes.

North Michigan Avenue may be a weak submarket, but it's still a submarket. It's 19% vacant, which means it's 81% occupied. That's a shitload of utilized office space and those companies can't be discounted just because they don't suit your paradigm.

Like any submarket, there will be overshoots and corrections. Michigan Avenue will do the same, perhaps more hotel conversions.

I get this--real estate is pretty damn simple. I have zero trouble understanding these rather simple concepts. This isn't quantum physics.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:20 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I think this is a flaw in your assumptions. Companies aren't moving in from the suburbs to make things easier on their suburban employees. They're moving in to access the urban workforce that is young, has they skills they need, and doesn't want to commute to the burbs.

That's not my assumption. Obviously not easier on suburban employees - but they should be trying to make it reasonable for commuters - emphasis on SHOULD - see Mr D's comments on this topic and actual corporate motivations regarding location decisions, as he nails it. What many of these companies are doing is not truly planning for the long-term. They're jumping on 'what's hot now'! Pop quiz folks: Where do you think most millennials will be living in 2030? You know - when they're in their 40s? If you answered 'the suburbs', you win!

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Pop quiz folks: Where do you think most millennials will be living in 2030? You know - when they're in their 40s? If you answered 'the suburbs', you win!
and where do you think the new 26 year olds with in demand skills will be living?

you're quibbling about a distance of less than a mile in a city with a vast number of transportation options available to workers, many of which serve the neighborhood in question. or we can sit here and pretend like Fulton Market/West Loop is such a massive inconvenience for everyone to get to from across the region compared to Oak Brook or Schaumburg. tell me how many transit lines serve those locations, and then lets debate which is the better long term trend.

how will the poor suburbanites ever navigate this insurmountable hurdle???

Last edited by Via Chicago; May 8, 2017 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:51 PM

^^^ Boy wouldn't it be cool if there was a walkway between the old CNW tracks and the El platform - it could even be called the North West Passage.

I recall one there in the '60s

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
how will the poor suburbanites ever navigate this insurmountable hurdle???
They don't. I frequently pass their frozen mummified bodies huddled for warmth on the Kennedy overpasses.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
That's not my assumption. Obviously not easier on suburban employees - but they should be trying to make it reasonable for commuters - emphasis on SHOULD - see Mr D's comments on this topic and actual corporate motivations regarding location decisions, as he nails it. What many of these companies are doing is not truly planning for the long-term. They're jumping on 'what's hot now'! Pop quiz folks: Where do you think most millennials will be living in 2030? You know - when they're in their 40s? If you answered 'the suburbs', you win!
Unless there is some major re-embracing of getting hitched in your early 20s and immediately moving out to the suburbs then the cities are still going to be the place to recruit young talent.

I'm still perplexed why comparable walking distances to say River North along the river itself are somehow fine but to the West Loop aren't.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:25 PM

Ignore millennials for the moment. The City has seen strong growth of high income families. You can see this in the multiple CPS turnaround stories. I'm not sure why Sam in the Loop thinks this will stop. If anything, the opposite is happening.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:31 PM
The City

He or his company obviously have some sort of vested interest in south Loop real estate, and they see the West Loop boom as some sort of threat to that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development