HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

View Poll Results: Should the Calgary greenling go under the Bow river or over
Under in a tunnel 45 78.95%
Over on a new bridge 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
$500 million + the cost of the bridge option for let's say ... a kilometre of tunnel is plain stupid.
That I fully agree with you on. It would be silly to do if that is the difference. Likely best to make such a decision after all the detailed costing is done in that case I suppose.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 7:31 PM
Here and There

Ladies!! Calm it down a notch.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 4:22 PM
BANNED

I have no issues with underground downtown - then rising above grade over the island/river, and some of the hill along centre st before tunneling back down. If they build a glass tube type bridge design that complements the peace bridge except say mostly glass with just a bit of black, white, or red trimming it's a win-win from both a cost perspective and aesthetic perspective. From a rider perspective I much prefer elevated lines to the dreary underground as well.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 4:44 PM

Underground is the better option IMO. The C-train already disrupts a lot of traffic downtown, so lets bury as much as we can.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 4:52 PM
ARTchitecture

I agree that underground is the best option, regardless of the cost savings of the other options. I just have a bad feeling that the city would try to throw in an at-grade intersection, either pedestrian or vehicle, somewhere in Eau Claire which would ruin the grade separation that so much of the Green Line will enjoy. With the underground D-2 option, we'll be looking at a grade separated section approximately 10 kilometers long from Highfield Industrial Station through to 16 Avenue Station. I can't understand how or why some people want to pass that up.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
I have no issues with underground downtown - then rising above grade over the island/river, and some of the hill along centre st before tunneling back down. If they build a glass tube type bridge design that complements the peace bridge except say mostly glass with just a bit of black, white, or red trimming it's a win-win from both a cost perspective and aesthetic perspective. From a rider perspective I much prefer elevated lines to the dreary underground as well.
I think you mean a lose-win. I would not be too hesitant to bet you've just suggested a bridge design that would probably top the list of most expensive bridges (per m) ever.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues