HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 3:48 PM

Apparently Milagro Grill (357-359 Richmond Road - Westboro) is now closed:

Quote:
Thank you for 9 great years!

Join us across the street at Churchills for some of your favourite Milagro Grill menu items.

Closed end of September 2014.
[http://www.milagrogrill.com/]

I don't think I ever ate there, but it seemed like a bit of a staple in Westboro.

Some digging led me to Shaker Realty Ltd. that indicated the space occupied by Milagro has been sold.

** UPDATE: I think it might have been bought out by Pure Yoga. Pure Yoga planned months ago to open an eatery and were looking for a name. Looks like they settled on "Pure Kitchen":

Quote:
Spotted this today across from #bridgehead in #Westboro. My new favourite restaurant coming soon. @pureyogaottawa #purekitchen
[Source]

Judging by the photo, it looks like it might be Milagro's old digs. Plus, there is a Bridgehead almost directly across the street, as referenced in the above Instagram tweet.

Last edited by citydwlr; Oct 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New owner closes reborn ZenKitchen for good

Peter Hum, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 3, 2014, Last Updated: November 3, 2014 9:07 AM EST

ZenKitchen, a favourite Ottawa restaurant for foodies, vegans and jazz fans, has closed permanently after a four-month run under new ownership.

The Somerset Street West business had closed in late May after its original owner, David Loan, ran afoul of the Canada Revenue Agency. ZenKitchen’s clientele rallied and raised thousands of dollars to assist Loan pay tax debts and money owed to suppliers and staff.

Meanwhile, Michaël Gazier bought the business and the restaurant re-opened after being closed for about a month. Loan became its general manager and chef, overseeing a menu that stressed vegan comfort food. The restaurant presented live jazz on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Then, ZenKitchen closed Oct. 27. Gazier in an email that night said that operations had been “suspended due to financial challenges in the current operating model. Several business models are now being examined.” He promised an update.

A Sunday night email from Gazier read:

“It’s been a difficult and hectic week.

“It is with sadness that after a significant deal of consideration, the decision has been taken to cease ZenKitchen’s operations permanently.

“ZenKitchen has meant a lot to me personally over the years. This was not an easy decision to make, nor is it the outcome that I anticipated when we attempted to revive the restaurant in July.

“It is even more so a regretful decision when it affects the livelihood of dedicated staff members. We had a wonderful team, both front-of-house and kitchen. I am appreciative of everyone’s efforts and of David Loan’s to rebuild ZenKitchen. My intent is that all staff will receive their full pay to-date, and that all who qualify or come close to qualifying will also receive their severance pay.

“This has also meant the loss of two jazz series, both Tim Bedner’s Sunday night jazz, and Roddy Ellias’s Wednesday jazz series with excellent out-of-town musicians. Tim and Roddy were amazing in setting up these exceptional series and I am a big personal fan of their music.

“I want to thank all our customers for their support and patronage over the years. The restaurant industry is a tough one in which to survive. Please continue to put your support behind small local businesses, including restaurants and music!”

ZenKitchen opened in 2009 under Loan and his then partner, chef Caroline Ishii. The couple’s efforts were documented on the 2010 W Network reality TV series The Restaurant Adventures of Caroline and Dave.

Ishii’s food won a following and she competed in the prestigious Gold Medal Plates competition in 2010 and 2011, taking second place both times. Her successor at ZenKitchen, Kyle Mortimer-Proulx, is competing this year in the Nov. 17 event. After ZenKitchen closed this summer, Mortimer-Proulx moved to run the kitchen at Lowertown Brewery.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...tchen-for-good

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Prime 360 steakhouse closes after 25 years, cites changes in business, government, tourism clientele

Published on: November 3, 2014, Last Updated: November 3, 2014 12:16 PM EST

Prime 360, the Laurier Avenue steakhouse that opened in 1989, has closed. Owner Moishe Smith in the statement below suggested that clientele his business drew from government, business and tourism had moved on.

Press release

Off the top of my head, this latest closure fits in with a larger picture of Ottawa’s restaurant scene that makes clear 1) business is tough and 2) whatever disposable income is out there is attracted to smaller, more casual restaurants that offer notable meals at lower prices (See everything from El Camino to Erling’s Variety to Fauna to Next).

In particular, I wonder if the rise of small-plates restaurants over the last few years is predicated on the combination of people’s tastes and what makes the most business sense.

Just putting that out there — comments, anybody?

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/food/p...rism-clientele

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B]Prime 360 steakhouse closes after 25 years, cites changes in business, government, tourism clientele
I think they were pretty dependent on the now-closed hotel. I walked there around dinner time recently and there were only a handful of customers.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 10:29 PM

Juniper Kitchen and Wine Bar has closed down.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
That's a shame! I didn't see that one coming!

So lately we've lost:
Juniper Kitchen & Wine Bar
Domus
Zen Kitchen
Yesterday's

Any others?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 11:47 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Farbs Kitchen & Wine Bar on Beechwood Ave. closed quietly last month and has just reopened as The Beechwood Gastropub, under the new ownership of André Cloutier, who also owns El Meson Restaurant, just up the street.

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/1178...-as-gastropub/

https://www.facebook.com/beechwoodgastropub

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 4:16 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
After 17 years, Juniper Kitchen and Wine Bar abruptly closes

Published on: November 10, 2014, Last Updated: November 10, 2014 7:04 PM EST

Juniper Kitchen and Wine Bar, one of the leading restaurants in Westboro for almost two decades, has closed, in a decision “driven solely by economics.”

On Monday afternoon, the restaurant’s owners, chef Norm Aitken and chef de cuisine Peter Robblee wrote on the Richmond Road restaurant’s Facebook page:

“Dear loyal customers, friends, family and suppliers, We are writing to you today to share some sad news. After more than 17 years of operations, Juniper Kitchen and Wine Bar has closed its doors. Our last dinner service was Saturday.

“This news may come as sudden and unexpected to most of you. It was also emotional and difficult news to share with our staff. And, as owners of the establishment, we are heartbroken to have to close the business.

‘It’s no secret that running a restaurant is a tough business. It requires a lot of energy, creativity and a sense of adventure. Thankfully, we were able to count on a team of passionate professionals over the course of our 17 years in business who brought those qualities to their work every day. It was their unwavering commitment to create a memorable dining experience that made Juniper a special place.

“Juniper is our livelihood and represents a standard for food and service in fine dining in Ottawa. The restaurant was also an engaged member of the community of Westboro, a place we call home.

“Through our years of business, Juniper was fortunate to attract a loyal following that ensured our restaurant was always busy. Beyond just being guests, these people became friends who honoured us with their patronage and involved us in the important moments of their lives.

“Our suppliers always served us well so we could serve our customers to the highest standard. From the local farmers & producers and the fishing community across the country, we thank you.

“All of this made the decision to close especially difficult. Today’s announcement is driven solely by economics. The realities of running an independent fine dining restaurant are more challenging today than ever before. This is especially the case in neighborhoods like Westboro where real estate costs have risen dramatically in recent years. No matter how we looked at it, it was simply no longer viable for us to keep operating at the same standard of quality and remain profitable.

“Right now our priority is our staff. We are working through our personal networks in the industry to ensure they will all find a home at one of the many excellent restaurants in Ottawa. We know their experience at Juniper will stand them in good stead. Together, they form one of the finest teams.

“So, today is the end of an era for us personally and for many of our co-workers, loyal clients and many friends.

“But every end, also marks a new beginning too. And each of us hopes that our future includes the same kind of magic we were fortunate enough to experience over the past 17 years.

“We know many of you will be disappointed by today’s news. Still, we hope that you’ll also remember the many happy moments and memorable meals you shared at the restaurant over the years. The Juniper Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junip...ar/99686805428) will remain active for the next two weeks. We encourage you to share your own personal stories. Your testimonials will help us remember the good and joyful times.

“Yours truly,

“Norm and Pete”

During its run, Juniper earned many a positive review from the Citizen. Most recently, in 2010, critic Anne Desbrisay wrote: “This is a restaurant that can soar, that can feel vital and exciting.” A few years prior to that review, Juniper moved from 1293 Wellington St. W to 245 Richmond Rd. occupying the much larger former showroom space attached to the Otto’s Subaru dealership.

In 2012, Aitken competed for the first time in Ottawa’s Gold Medal Plates contest. This year, Aitken competed on an episode of Chopped Canada and won.

The closure follows on the heels of such restaurants as ZenKitchen, Prime 360, Farb’s Kitchen, Carmen’s Veranda and Milagro Grill shutting their doors in recent weeks.

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/food/a...ine-bar-closes

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 11:36 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Wahlburgers restaurant opens in Toronto

Wahlburgers, a burger chain co-owned by celebrity brothers Mark and Donnie Wahlberg, along with their chef sibling Paul, has opened the first restaurant outside the U.S. in Toronto, Canada.

Located inside the luxury SoHo Metropolitan Hotel, Wahlburgers Toronto features a quick-serve counter with seating for 40 people as well as a full service dine-in restaurant and sports bar with a seating for 80 people.
After a soft launch earlier this month, the restaurant will open officially with a ‘green carpet’ event (green is the brand’s signature color) and appearances by all three Wahlberg brothers on Saturday.

The Canadian opening is part of major expansion plans for the celebrity burger chain that include more openings across Canada including Toronto Pearson International Airport, Waterloo and Ottawa.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/wahl...onto-1.2103653

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 1:28 AM

The Record reported the other day that there will be two locations each in Ottawa and Waterloo.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...n-to-waterloo/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 5:29 AM

Driving through the Glebe today, I noticed that the old Whole Foods "welcome centre" or whatever it was called previously (just north of Lansdowne) is now going to be a taqueria called "Encino Taco Shop". Here's their Twitter account: https://twitter.com/EncinoTacoShop

[Source]

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:12 AM

Big Rig will soon open their 2nd location in Gloucester Centre (former Future Shop space?)

Don Cherry has taken over the Twisted Lizard on Merivale near Hunt Club and now has 3 locations across town, including Kanata and King Edward? I've never been to a Don Cherry but they must be doing something right to survive and expand...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Big Rig will soon open their 2nd location in Gloucester Centre (former Future Shop space?)
They're opening in Gloucester mall proper.

Rumour in the neighbourhood I heard is Goodlife is considering moving to where the Futureshop used to be.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Don Cherry has taken over the Twisted Lizard on Merivale near Hunt Club and now has 3 locations across town, including Kanata and King Edward? I've never been to a Don Cherry but they must be doing something right to survive and expand...
The Don Cherry's at Rideau and King Edward was located in the old Quality Hotel. It closed with the hotel a couple of months ago.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:21 AM

Big Rig is moving into the opposite side of the renovation where Rexall and Pet Valu went in. It's almost done.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Big Rig is moving into the opposite side of the renovation where Rexall and Pet Valu went in. It's almost done.
Hopefullly this one is as successful as the Pinecrest location and we see one at Lansdowne soon.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 2:37 PM

Anyone remembers which restaurant replaced Joey's seafood on Merivale in the Loblaws plaza? as that restaurant is now gone with a locked door and a notice of non rent payment from the landlord. Tough business as that location is pretty good, IMO, with good visibility, residential and commercial traffic around.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Anyone remembers which restaurant replaced Joey's seafood on Merivale in the Loblaws plaza? as that restaurant is now gone with a locked door and a notice of non rent payment from the landlord. Tough business as that location is pretty good, IMO, with good visibility, residential and commercial traffic around.
I believe it was a pub, The Firkin & Knight Pub, I think.

That space gets renewed every couple years with something else. I think the longest running restaurant that filled that space was Red Lobster. That was replaced by Joeys, if I recall correctly. You would think that space would get more traffic than it does, but restaurants keep failing for some reason...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:00 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I believe it was a pub, The Firkin & Knight Pub, I think.
Yes, that's right:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.36212...0140901T000000

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:25 PM

Thanks guys. I checked Firkin website and the Firkin & Knight one is indeed gone, only 1 left in Ottawa in the T&T plaza.

Look like they have locations all over the GTA. Yes I am quite surprised at the turnover rate for this location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation