HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:06 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedaded View Post
My family and I ate at Dolce last night (which was great) and the general manager took us on a tour of Ten Pin Alley. The place is absolutely pimp! As someone has already said, the private bowling lanes/lounge area, which is mainly reserved for company parties and the likes, is the highlight. I'm really looking forward to going there (although I doubt I can afford the private room). According to the general manager, the four public lanes can accommodate up to six people and go for $55/hour.

It will have a limited opening on Jan 29 and then will open to the public two weeks later.
Sweet.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 2:29 PM
Movin' on UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
This is not an Atlanta vs. Alpharetta issue; it is just a very smart move.
Well not specifically Atlanta v. Alpharetta, more City v. Sprawl, building smaller venues like this and the Cobb Performing Arts center further out, with utter disregard for any sort of mass transit is a mistake, which will only exacerbate sprawl by giving people the notion they can have big city amenities out in the mindless sprawl.

I guess it doesn't bother me that much, there are so many things that Atlanta has that the burbs will never have, like a world-class airport, a coke museum, and a level 1 trauma center.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 3:04 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

^ In Cobb Performing Arts defense - the planned campus includes a site for a future transit station.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLtransplant View Post
Well not specifically Atlanta v. Alpharetta, more City v. Sprawl, building smaller venues like this and the Cobb Performing Arts center further out, with utter disregard for any sort of mass transit is a mistake, which will only exacerbate sprawl by giving people the notion they can have big city amenities out in the mindless sprawl.

I guess it doesn't bother me that much, there are so many things that Atlanta has that the burbs will never have, like a world-class airport, a coke museum, and a level 1 trauma center.
I think you're still missing the point of the Alpharetta amphitheatre development, ATLtransplant. It will not replace, surplant or discourage any similar venue closer to the city center. It will merely meet demand by serving a very large and very affluent populaton where it lives. Someone is going to meet this growing demand, and I believe the ASO will do it well.

This is truly a Win-Win-Win proposition. Northern suburbanites will have a venue in their own backyard for ASO summer concerts and other year-round events. The ASO will enjoy a new source of revenue, and a new venue to broaden its base among people who can afford to pay. And everyone should be happy to see fewer cars on the highways with this new alternative to driving downtown for every concert entertainment.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:38 PM

Don't you understand? Suburbanites are the enemy! Isn't that the whole point of this forum?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
Don't you understand? Suburbanites are the enemy! Isn't that the whole point of this forum?
Gee, I don't think that's true at all. Aren't many of the posters here suburbanites themselves?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:00 PM
Indignant Pedestrian

Quote:
This is truly a Win-Win-Win proposition. Northern suburbanites will have a venue in their own backyard for ASO summer concerts and other year-round events.
As long as nothing happens to the Piedmont Park concerts during the summer, or there will be

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Gee, I don't think that's true at all. Aren't many of the posters here suburbanites themselves?
I'm being sarcastic Andrea

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Is North Druid Hills a suburb?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:07 PM
Movin' on UP

Quote:
I think you're still missing the point of the Alpharetta amphitheatre development, ATLtransplant. It will not replace, surplant or discourage any similar venue closer to the city center. It will merely meet demand by serving a very large and very affluent populaton where it lives. Someone is going to meet this growing demand, and I believe the ASO will do it well.

This is truly a Win-Win-Win proposition. Northern suburbanites will have a venue in their own backyard for ASO summer concerts and other year-round events. The ASO will enjoy a new source of revenue, and a new venue to broaden its base among people who can afford to pay. And everyone should be happy to see fewer cars on the highways with this new alternative to driving downtown for every concert entertainment.
Well when you put it that way, I just feel like the suburbs are always trying to "distance" themselves from Atlanta in any way possible. Like Sandy Springs, or this whole Milton County fiasco. I fear that these moves are small steps toward a narrow-minded goal, which in the long run will fragment the metropolitan landscape beyond what is absolutely necessary. Its difficult as it is for all of the different state, city, and county organizations to collaporate on an anything, especially when it comes to tackling some of the regions most daunting problems.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLtransplant View Post
If they have a shuttle bus from North Springs MARTA to this new center (like the one they have to Turner Field) this could be a good thing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 8:33 PM

hmmm...should've given your money to the Alliance theatre instead of ASO anyway. Just kidding, donating money to anyone is important, either way...the Woodruff Art Center will run Encore Park in Alpharetta, not the ASO, so you will eventually see more programming than just concerts at that facility.

Back to the noise question about ATLofts...(I am a resident) I have not had any issues with noise (cruising bass or otherwise). I don't hear anything from the street level unless I am out on my balcony, the exterior doors do a nice job of creating a vacuum.

The exteriors are currently being worked on in regards to water impedments. If you are in AS look up at the ATLofts buildings and you will see a wall pressure washing thing, they are not cleaning the buildings they are trying to force fail the siding.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:

Another way of saying... we don't wanna dine, and go to with amphitheatre with you. Were "northern suburbanites" who think they should get free rides to the ball games via marta & get our own county. And oh..by the way. We don't live in Atlanta. We are from Alpharetta......Please.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardon View Post
Another way of saying... we don't wanna dine, and go to with amphitheatre with you. Were "northern suburbanites" who think they should get free rides to the ball games via marta & get our own county. And oh..by the way. We don't live in Atlanta. We are from Alpharetta......Please.
No, it's simple supply and demand. What the Woodruff Arts Center hears the northern suburbanites saying is "Make it easier for us to patronize your concerts without having to drive into town every time, and we'll attend more often." Keep in mind that summer concerts -- whether at Piedmont, Chastain or Alpharetta -- are off-season, and are designed to complement the main season at Woodruff. And you might be surprised to know how many regular symphony and opera patrons live outside the perimeter. Smart businesses cater to their customers, and that's all this is about.

I don't know where you get your bias against suburbanites, but it is rather childish. I know many people in Alpharetta, and none of them expect free rides on MARTA. They are used to paying their way for everything, and I don't know a one who thinks he's better better than someone who just might live in Atlanta. They just choose to live in a very nice place, which is their prerogative. None of them resent your choice to live intown, so it seems odd that you would resent their choices to live where they do.

Last edited by MarketsWork; Jan 27, 2007 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
If they have a shuttle bus from North Springs MARTA to this new center (like the one they have to Turner Field) this could be a good thing.
I want rail dammit

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 5:07 PM

While we're on the topic of cultural institutions moving, did anyone see the news story about the Atlanta Zoo? On NBC this morning they reported the zoo was looking into the possibility of moving from Grant Park where they have been located for more than 100 years. Two possible sites mentioned were the lakewood antiques market (closed earlier this year) and Fort McPherson. Seems the trend of cultural institutions leaving the heart of the city is a growing trend.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 5:23 PM
Back on the road again

there's a write-up on the possibility in today's AJC too. I don't necessarily view that as a bad thing. I think the Lakewood location is essentially just as accessible as the Grant Park location, and would be considered to be equally as much "in town". The Zoo is cramped in its current location, and would perhaps be better served in a larger venue.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelanfish View Post
While we're on the topic of cultural institutions moving, did anyone see the news story about the Atlanta Zoo? On NBC this morning they reported the zoo was looking into the possibility of moving from Grant Park where they have been located for more than 100 years. Two possible sites mentioned were the lakewood antiques market (closed earlier this year) and Fort McPherson. Seems the trend of cultural institutions leaving the heart of the city is a growing trend.
I don't think there's a trend at all, keelanfish, just the singular example of the Atlanta Opera moving to a Vinings venue that was tailor made for opera. The planned ASO amphitheatre in Alpharetta is merely a satellite location for off-season performances in an area that is ripe for that activity.

Zoo Atlanta needs more room if it is to develop into a top-tier zoo, and that is not a possibility at its Grant Park location. Its current property can be sold or developed for a tidy profit, and the proceeds can offset the move onto more and cheaper land at Lakewood.

By the way, does anyone know how close the Beltline comes to Lakewood?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 11:18 PM

looks like 1.3 from pryor and beltline to the entrance of the fairground parking lot, and pretty much exactly 1 mile as the crow flies.

anyone got any good suggestions for what should replace the zoo if it leaves grant park?

also, this is the atlantic station thread. i hope nobody's too upset.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 8:35 AM

^^^ how about a "park" replacing the zoo in grant park? it's always seemed awkward and out of place to have the zoo in the middle of grant park landlocked by residential neighborhoods. seems very crowded as is....i hope they move it and give it some breathing room.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta