HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 12:43 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Our chance at a world class park lies with the Waller Creek vision https://www.wallercreek.org/
I did forget that one. Agreed, that's a serious contender. However, I'm hesitant to describe any linear park, especially one as disconnected as Waller Creek is going to be (if it ends up anywhere near as nice as envisioned), as a world class park.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 1:09 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Another museum that would be a natural fit for Austin is a Museum of Technology, which would again fit best up near the Blanton and the Bullock (which is where the aquarium and planetarium should go, if we ever get those downtown, or any other museum other than a live music museum). A lesser fit would be a Museum of the American Southwest, which to my knowledge does not exist.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Another museum that would be a natural fit for Austin is a Museum of Technology, which would again fit best up near the Blanton and the Bullock (which is where the aquarium and planetarium should go, if we ever get those downtown, or any other museum other than a live music museum). A lesser fit would be a Museum of the American Southwest, which to my knowledge does not exist.
My vision here would be a Texas Museum of Natural and Technological History. You could walk through geological history, animal/dinosaur history, indigenous people history and their use of the land, cowboy history and their use of the land, oil history and its use of the land, all the way up to space center/planetarium. It would be a mix of the Institute of Texas Cultures (San Antonio), Texas Natural History Museum (Houston), Texas State History Museum (Austin), Museum of Science and Technology (Chicago) and a Planetarium (Houston - NASA). Obviously all of these things already exist in pieces but I think they could be mashed together into a great museum. Put it there across from the Bullock and it would be a magnet for school kids. It would fit perfectly into what could be Austin's own "Smithsonian Mall" there between the Capitol and UT.

On that subject and as discussed previously, your best magnet for donor money in this town is and will always be UT. The COA should financially partner with UT to expand the Blanton. That is the best avenue to big $$$ for more/better art in Austin.

Also, I know its kind of cheesy and Parisian, but I love the idea of a Carousel at night along Auditorium Shores. Auditorium Shores has a ton of potential as a family park at night. It has a natural relationship with the Long Center and its night programs plus the reflections off the lake would be beautiful.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:10 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

The city should hire y'all. Great ideas. Now get to beatin' the bushes for money.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Our chance at a world class park lies with the Waller Creek vision https://www.wallercreek.org/
Waller Creek will be nice when it finally gets built, but it is likely to be mostly a tourist destination. With Zilker and the connecting parks around Town Lake, we already have a nice set of locally popular parks that would be the envy of most cities. We really should try to tweak them for maximum potential.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
My vision here would be a Texas Museum of Natural and Technological History. You could walk through geological history, animal/dinosaur history, indigenous people history and their use of the land, cowboy history and their use of the land, oil history and its use of the land, all the way up to space center/planetarium. It would be a mix of the Institute of Texas Cultures (San Antonio), Texas Natural History Museum (Houston), Texas State History Museum (Austin), Museum of Science and Technology (Chicago) and a Planetarium (Houston - NASA). Obviously all of these things already exist in pieces but I think they could be mashed together into a great museum. Put it there across from the Bullock and it would be a magnet for school kids. It would fit perfectly into what could be Austin's own "Smithsonian Mall" there between the Capitol and UT.

On that subject and as discussed previously, your best magnet for donor money in this town is and will always be UT. The COA should financially partner with UT to expand the Blanton. That is the best avenue to big $$$ for more/better art in Austin.

Also, I know its kind of cheesy and Parisian, but I love the idea of a Carousel at night along Auditorium Shores. Auditorium Shores has a ton of potential as a family park at night. It has a natural relationship with the Long Center and its night programs plus the reflections off the lake would be beautiful.
I agree that a growing Blanton Museum is likely Austin's best shot at a serious art museum, but it will need to grow in endowment and size. That could probably happen at the current location. Maybe something will materialize from the efforts with a contemporary "museum" downtown, but the focus there does not seem very serious There is no permanent collection. They seem more interested in having a larger exhibit space for temporary shows and a revenue generating roof deck.

Yes, yes, yes to a carousel along Auditorium Shores! Maybe a Ferris Wheel too. That location would attract a year around crowd and provide for something colorful across from downtown. Now if I could just get some excitement going for lots and lots of park benches lining all the pathways along the lake and in Zilker. None of these proposals would break the bank. Benches are not very pricey, and the carousel and/or Ferris Wheel could be paid for by the concessionaire. I am all for Austin getting a bit more Parisian, but carousels in US parks are not uncommon- ie. Golden Gate Park in SF and no fewer than 3 in NYC (Central Park, Prospect Park/Brooklyn, and Forest Park/Queens). I am sure there are other nice carousels in other US parks. They are a grand tradition.

Last edited by austlar1; Jan 6, 2017 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I agree that a growing Blanton Museum is likely Austin's best shot at a serious art museum, but it will need to grow in endowment and size. That could probably happen at the current location. Maybe something will materialize from the efforts with a contemporary "museum" downtown, but the focus there does not seem very serious There is no permanent collection. They seem more interested in having a larger exhibit space for temporary shows and a revenue generating roof deck.

Yes, yes, yes to a carousel along Auditorium Shores! Maybe a Ferris Wheel too. That location would attract a year around crowd and provide for something colorful across from downtown. Now if I could just get some excitement going for lots and lots of park benches lining all the pathways along the lake and in Zilker. None of these proposals would break the bank. Benches are not very pricey, and the carousel and/or Ferris Wheel could be paid for by the concessionaire. I am all for Austin getting a bit more Parisian, but carousels in US parks are not uncommon- ie. Golden Gate Park in SF and no fewer than 3 in NYC (Central Park, Prospect Park/Brooklyn, and Forest Park/Queens). I am sure there are other nice carousels in other US parks. They are a grand tradition.
I'm loving all the suggestions in this thread. I moved to Austin a few years ago, and I was quite surprised that the trails along Auditorium Shores/South Shore/Zilker were so undeveloped. There should definitely be more benches, tables, and I love the carousel or ferris wheel idea.

One of the strangest things to me is that there aren't street vendors as you walk around the lake. We're a town known for food trucks and there is massive traffic in the parks...seems odd to me. It would be nice to walk around, play with my dog, and then at least get a refreshing smoothie or something..

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
I'm loving all the suggestions in this thread. I moved to Austin a few years ago, and I was quite surprised that the trails along Auditorium Shores/South Shore/Zilker were so undeveloped. There should definitely be more benches, tables, and I love the carousel or ferris wheel idea.

One of the strangest things to me is that there aren't street vendors as you walk around the lake. We're a town known for food trucks and there is massive traffic in the parks...seems odd to me. It would be nice to walk around, play with my dog, and then at least get a refreshing smoothie or something..
Actually, a public plaza along the river somewhere for food truck vendors sounds like a no brainer here in Austin.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Actually, a public plaza along the river somewhere for food truck vendors sounds like a no brainer here in Austin.
Off topic for museums here, sorry, but

Now we're back to the idea for stadium near Austin High School for an MLS team. The back/bottom of that stadium could be leased out to vendors along the trail a la Yawkey Way behind Fenway in Boston. Adds year round income for the stadium. Could be trailers or built into the stadium.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 8:35 AM

I prefer Austin spend its resources on a science and natural history museum rather than a modern art museum. Science and natural history museums draw larger crowds, are more interactive, and more educational. Modern art is painfully weird and few people want to look at it.

I agree that food vendors along the hike and bike trail with picnic tables and trash cans would be a nice addition.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
I prefer Austin spend its resources on a science and natural history museum rather than a modern art museum. Science and natural history museums draw larger crowds, are more interactive, and more educational. Modern art is painfully weird and few people want to look at it.

I agree that food vendors along the hike and bike trail with picnic tables and trash cans would be a nice addition.

lol, is that a fact now?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 8:21 AM
World Traveler

Modern art and natural history museums (et al) bring unique experiences to the attendees. I don't think it's really easy (or possible) to say that one is better than another. Art, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder, and as such, as folks continue to produce new and unique forms of expression through visual or musical art, Austin is a good place for that to be displayed given the culture to push the envelope (and that can even be said for the attitude of technology, etc., in the city with SXSW and other events). I'm not a huge fan of most modern art, but I absolutely appreciate the value that it brings to society.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin