HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:11 PM

I got it!

The only good thing about the big blank wall is that it could be used as a Drive In Movie Theater Screen. Use the parking lot across Cesar Chavez for watching it, and the IHOP is the concession stand.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 6:30 PM

Some construction fencing on the ACC has gone up, and there's some earth movement down in the creek. Skywalk construction looks to be commencing.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 9:32 PM

Any idea as to when the spire will be installed?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
Any idea as to when the spire will be installed?
Nope, no one's talked to me about it. I'll ask them next time I see them.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 9:59 PM

Looks like they are installing lighting into the blank wall! I see cables sticking out of each of the indentations.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 11:21 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
Looks like they are installing lighting into the blank wall! I see cables sticking out of each of the indentations.

That will be cool!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 12:38 AM

All lanes of Cesar Chavez are closed overnight for the crane removal. I don't know if it is for all of the cranes or just one or two.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 12:53 AM
De Lurk Squad

Quote:

This seems appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gId6nrMDmUU

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 7:07 PM

Untitled by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 10:03 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Talking

Quote:

I'm very curious about what they plan to do. I had a feeling that they were not just going to leave a massive blank wall fronting Cesar Chavez.

The question is what kind of lighting? Or could it be an LED media wall or some other type of digital effect? This could end up being really exciting because I've thought for a long time that what Downtown Austin has been missing, and would fit in perfectly with the cosmopolitan street vibe that's evolving, are LED media walls and/or screens. I'd especially like to see them on the blank walls that have become more prevalent lately.

The fact that there are quite a few wires hanging out of the wall would suggest something like a LED wall or possibly groups of different sized walls.

A dull possibility is that they are installing Fairmont signage which is still better than a blank wall but nothing unique or cutting edge. I'd like to hope that LED digital media walls are what they are gonna install but that's just delusional wishful thinking.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 10:12 PM

I wouldn't expect anything that dramatic. I'm sure it will just be white spotlights shining up in each of the groves like the rendering shows.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I wouldn't expect anything that dramatic. I'm sure it will just be white spotlights shining up in each of the groves like the rendering shows.

And now our excitement has ended....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
And now our excitement has ended....
Yup it sure has.

Although there does appear to be some sort of small possible LED media wall on the far end but it seems like a wasted opportunity IMO to leave most of that side scantily lit. Why did the city even allow the South face to be a huge wall? I'm having a hard time picturing any sort of street interaction. The JW wins hands down for their podium streetscape.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Yup it sure has.

Although there does appear to be some sort of small possible LED media wall on the far end but it seems like a wasted opportunity IMO to leave most of that side scantily lit. Why did the city even allow the South face to be a huge wall? I'm having a hard time picturing any sort of street interaction. The JW wins hands down for their podium streetscape.
Absolutely agree, but the JW does have the advantage of major foot traffic along Congress and around the corner (2nd St?) and took advantage of it.
The Fairmont might not see that kind of exposure for a while. They looked prepared to just handle their guests for the most part, while the JW also caters to the masses. Advantage, JW. Location, location, location. Still, missed opportunity award goes to the Fairmont.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:18 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
The Fairmont is right around the corner from Rainey, so its location isn't as bad as I think you're arguing.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Absolutely agree, but the JW does have the advantage of major foot traffic along Congress and around the corner (2nd St?) and took advantage of it.
The Fairmont might not see that kind of exposure for a while. They looked prepared to just handle their guests for the most part, while the JW also caters to the masses. Advantage, JW. Location, location, location. Still, missed opportunity award goes to the Fairmont.
Are there any plans laid out for what will be in the Fairmont's base? I know when the JW was still under construction, we knew there would be a couple restaurants. I totally agree that the JW is the reigning king when it comes to street interaction downtown, but I don't see room for anything like that on the fairmont....I totally understand having the "front" of the hotel facing north, with how it would otherwise destroy cesar chavez traffic, but I don't see anything that looks like it could be a restaurant or store or coffee shop on the CC side of the fairmont...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:37 AM

When the mega food court opens in the large outdoor space at the corner of Cesar Chavez and Congress later this year, the area will become even more solidified as downtown's premier gathering space. The Fairmont won't be able to compete with street level amenities for many years to come.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 9:17 AM
De Lurk Squad

With a direct access to the CC via the bridge I would think street level amenities would be a secondary concern. They could promote themselves accordingly to any meeting without losing business or reservations.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 7:49 AM

This big view is from the NY Times article about East Austin that Urbannizer posted in the compilation thread.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/1...97fe-237358641

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
With a direct access to the CC via the bridge I would think street level amenities would be a secondary concern. They could promote themselves accordingly to any meeting without losing business or reservations.
Just walked over there yesterday on my lunch hour -- and it's a difficult block to work with from a street interaction standpoint. Cesar Chavez on the south is a major thoroughfare with very little foot traffic; the least-used side of the CC is on Red River, and that connector with the Fairmont will keep people off the streets in a major way. North of the hotel is Waller Creek, and east is Palm Park. So its weirdly isolated in some important ways.

They were installing frosted glass on the ground floor of the Red River side when I walked by yesterday. It's early still but it definitely doesn't look particularly street-friendly.

EDIT: Also, Palm Park is kind of a sad little greenspace. I'm all for parks . . . but for parks that are in places that people will use them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin