HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:54 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I'm an equal opportunity basher. Just making the point that both sides pander. I have voted for both sides many times.

Hillary panders too.
I haven't waded into a political argument in awhile, but...

This. All of it. I bash both parties, I think it's pretty matter of fact that politicians from both parties pander, and I have voted for many candidates from each of the two major parties and others.

But I'd also add: equal opportunity bashing should not preclude an understanding that at any given moment or for any given stretch of moments, one party might need to be bashed a hell of a lot more than the other, that one side might pander much more than the other, and that one side might be much more deserving of a vote than the other. In other words, equal opportunity bashing should never require false equivalencies.

An analogous conservative example, to make the point clearer, is that equal opportunity should never require equal outcomes. Why? Because the juncture points in life at which we as a society deem are important to provide all societal members equal opportunity (schooling, job hiring, etc.) do not preclude alternative decisions among many competing options on those same and other relevant factors by those members over time that, when those members are considered by their racial, ethnic, sexual, gender, or other politically relevant sub-grouping, then lead to variation in outcomes across, between, and within groups on those factors which we provided as a society equal opportunity. If there were no variation in outcomes, then what would we have? Equal opportunity guaranteeing equal outcomes. Should that be the benchmark? No.

The above passage illustrates my point. Why? Because the factors that we as a society deem are important in order to judge our elected officials does not preclude alternative decisions among many competing options on those same and other relevant factors by those officials over time that, when those officials are considered by their partisanship, then lead to variation in outcomes across, between, and within parties on those factors which we as a society deem are important in order to judge our elected officials. If there were no variation in outcomes, then what would we have? Equal opportunity bashing guaranteeing equal partisan outcomes. But does that happen in actuality? No.

In fact, causally, it would make little sense. To illustrate the real effect, consider the partisan incentive structure that tieing equal opportunity bashing to drawing false equivalencies between the parties being bashed creates. If the political parties know that the media and the voters will consider the sins of each party equally (regardless whether those sins are equal by the standards that collective of citizens had/s outlined in their written and implied social contracts), it allows one, more, or all of that country's parties leeway to move further away from the median voter, on one, many, or all politically relevant issues regardless of the actions of the other party, because whatever the actions of the other party, their actions (however extreme relative to the median voter vis-a-vis the other party) will be considered equal.

Thus, if we want to actually create equal outcomes between the parties along the dimensions that we consider important as a society is to bash those parties and their candidates with the understanding that one party might very well be more extreme than the other relative to the median voter, and thus be more deserving of bashing, and less deserving of a vote.

Of course, what I leave unsaid, is that this formulation also suggests that to achieve equal employment, residential, is that we should treat all members of society as members of their racial, sexuality, gender, etc. identity groups. However, and without regard to the principles outlined in our founding documents (which provide an entirely separate, and equal, if not better, rationale for the misguidance of this extrapolation), I will note that this is not empirically appropriate and this, and only this, is where the analogy falls apart, because of a key difference at this stage between the two: when dealing with politicians, who are members of a party and highly beholden to that label, and where the sum total of one partisan group (or more) of those members, when larger than the sum total of some combination (as electoral rules in a country outline) of the other groups, it is perfectly logical to reason that a moderate member of one party, when numerically contributing a possible majority, provides license for the more extreme members of their own party to engage in extreme behavior, especially as in the current reality where the median member of the majority party is more ideologically extreme relative to the median voter vis-a-vis the minority party in our own country.

This stands in distinct contrast to societal outcomes, such as employment, residential equality, schooling, or whatever else. Giving someone a job, renting to them an apartment or selling to them a house, and educating them provide no license for bad behavior among other members of their race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, gender identity, or whatever. Now, consider this: whether or not we (in the aggregate*) should treat members of these different groups differently specifically given their group status, in actuality do we? Yes, we do. What's ironic is that while we should not treat members of these different groups differently while we should be treating members of parties differently, if the parties differ along some substantive dimension (I.E. other than party) which society considers relevant, specifically given their partisanship, the reality is the opposite: society tends to treat members of racial, ethnic, gender, sexuality, gender identity, religious, and other groups by their group status first only giving them individuality secondarily, whereas the common refrain "I vote for the candidate, not the party" quite succinctly illustrates that we place individuality first in candidates, and only apply their partisanship second.

That is not what the current reality demands. Candidates are not individuals, because winning candidates contribute to their party in the aggregate having their hands on the levers of power. Thus, sure, engage in equal opportunity bashing, but understand that that also requires knowing prior the parameters upon which you are to bash and applying that standard equally, rather than just simply bashing each party the same number of times regardless of how bad their deeds actually are, and regardless of how ideologically deviant their viewpoints are.

*For this to be true, it only requires some individuals to engage in one or more of the following: racist attitudes, microaggression behavior, subconscious racialized behavior, and/or structural factors that are non-personal.

^When I talk about members of parties above, I only mean elected officials or other party officials and surrogates. General partisanship, as in the common man saying he's a Democrat, are excluded by this definition.

Last edited by wwmiv; Jan 12, 2017 at 7:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:50 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I bash the Left for the most part. It's because I don't agree with them on most everything. But I don't blindly defend the GOP, either.

In the last couple of years, I've actually wound up on the Left side of a couple of topics (excess force by police, legalization of marijuana). That's not to say I blame the cops in every one of the public shootings that had the country in a tizzy, but I do see many instances of them overstepping their bounds. My staunch "conservative" friends think I'm crazy to even question cops or consider legalizing weed. Whatever.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:19 AM
World Traveler

Yeah, well that's just like, your opinion, man.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I'm an equal opportunity basher. Just making the point that both sides pander. I have voted for both sides many times.

Hillary panders too.
But it was a complete non sequitur. You started bashing for a completely different reason.

We were talking about the Austin city council meddling with the advice of the experts.

You then started up with "Texas Republican candidates (W-specifically) couldn't care less about LGBT issues. They care about money, industry, and saying whatever it takes to their potential voters to get elected."

Which is the _exact opposite_ of what was under discussion.

It would be great if that's all the council was doing. That they'd get up, make a few speeches, grandstand for their supporters, and then at the end take the advice of the staff anyway.

It's the fact that they're not doing that, that they literally completely change proposals, upending months of work and consensus building, that's the problem.

The problem isn't (for instance) Pool pandering to NIMBYs. It's that Pool _actually is_ a dyed in the wool NIMBY, and votes that way regardless of the actual effect of proposals or even the requirements of council ethics.

Edit: Same thing with Zimmerman. I completely disagreed with just about every one of his positions, but I don't think he was "pandering". I think he genuinely believed what he was voting for.

Last edited by Novacek; Jan 12, 2017 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
The problem isn't (for instance) Pool pandering to NIMBYs. It's that Pool _actually is_ a dyed in the wool NIMBY, and votes that way regardless of the actual effect of proposals or even the requirements of council ethics.
What a perfect summation.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:31 PM
World Traveler

Man, this stuff makes my head spin...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Man, this stuff makes my head spin...
In my case, I'm not smart enough to follow the conversation, but on the bright side, ignorance IS bliss. My head is spinning in a sea of bliss.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 1:37 AM

I saw something pretty strange on I-35 Downtown around 2:00 PM Friday afternoon, and I'm surprised that I can't find any local news coverage about whatever it was.
There was a major southbound traffic jam because of a police action taking place on I-35 just after the point where the upper and lower deck splits reconnect. The left southbound lane was open for traffic, but there was a black pickup on the right shoulder surrounded mostly by DPS troopers from what I could tell. There were a lot police vehicles on the roadway and some were just arriving via the wrong way on an exit ramp. There were also a lot of troopers with hand guns and automatic rifles drawn in the process of surrounding the truck. There were troopers with their guns out in the middle lane while vehicles were going right past them in the left lane. I was rubber necking from the northbound side, so I couldn't watch what was happening for more than a few seconds.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I saw something pretty strange on I-35 Downtown around 2:00 PM Friday afternoon, and I'm surprised that I can't find any local news coverage about whatever it was.
There was a major southbound traffic jam because of a police action taking place on I-35 just after the point where the upper and lower deck splits reconnect. The left southbound lane was open for traffic, but there was a black pickup on the right shoulder surrounded mostly by DPS troopers from what I could tell. There were a lot police vehicles on the roadway and some were just arriving via the wrong way on an exit ramp. There were also a lot of troopers with hand guns and automatic rifles drawn in the process of surrounding the truck. There were troopers with their guns out in the middle lane while vehicles were going right past them in the left lane. I was rubber necking from the northbound side, so I couldn't watch what was happening for more than a few seconds.
I think I read that DPS was cracking down hard on drivers using their cellphones while driving.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I think I read that DPS was cracking down hard on drivers using their cellphones while driving.
LOL. But I think it most likely backfired because of all the texting it created. I can just imagine what someone just passing through Austin at that moment must have thought. It was like the wild, wild west on an interstate.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:58 PM

Anyone know if Longhorn Dam has been discussed by the city since this Statesman article in 2015?

Link

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:31 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

http://kxan.com/2017/01/17/strange-b...elp-employees/

Strange Brew has closed. They owe a lot in taxes, and filed bankruptcy last year. They never got the Bake House renovated and reopened.

That leaves a couple of popular South Austin spots open for new owners. Hopefully they keep live music and 24-hour in the equation. I remember the Bake House was supposed to turn into a 24-hour Mediterranean restaurant. That would have been awesome.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 8:50 PM
Meh

I gotta say, the Bake House was pretty horrible. They had a crazy menu that was all over the place and the food was pretty bland. There are several other "meh" places around here. It's a shame, too, because they would be oh so convenient.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 2:28 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...-river-to.html

Quote:
Austin tests a later music curfew; Red River to rock on but another hotel is unhappy

Music venues along Red River Street will be able to rock out longer into the night as part of a six-month pilot program to test new rules that club owners say could net them millions — and give a much-needed boost to the city's entertainment and music worlds.

"We still have an exorbitant amount of guest complaints going until midnight,” Sunni Dupree, manager of Hotel Indigo, said at the meeting, according to the Statesman. “To expand that to 1:30 a.m. would impact my business tremendously.”

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I just saw the manager of Hotel Indigo on MyFOX7 news bitching about the extra hour of noise they will now have to deal with. Not only is their hotel ugly, but they are assholes like the Westin management. Jesus, what were they thinking when they built their hotels right next to the live music district? They use their locations for marketing purposes and then bitch about it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
I just saw the manager of Hotel Indigo on MyFOX7 news bitching about the extra hour of noise they will now have to deal with. Not only is their hotel ugly, but they are assholes like the Westin management. Jesus, what were they thinking when they built their hotels right next to the live music district? They use their locations for marketing purposes and then bitch about it.
Hate to say it but it's only get worse for Red River music venues. That new Hyatt House over Cheer Up Charlies is going to have the same problems . . . if not much much worse.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 12:46 AM

The manager of Hotel Indigo, Sunni Dupree said, while they knew they were building next to live music venues knowing there would be music, they are seeing more corporate guests who expect to get a good night's sleep, and that expanding to 1:30 would impact her business tremendously. Well, TFB!!! Did they not have a growth model anticipating corporate guests? And if corporate guests want a good night's sleep, they have other better choices. These people are morons!!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 4:56 AM

Now for something really off topic...

I just got an Amazon Echo today and am in the process of getting it to do stuff. Out of the box it's best for playing music IMO, and it functions better with Prime Music than with Spotify. I am really impressed with its voice recognition ability. I really like how it quickly responds to "Alexa, shut up" when it gets my music request wrong.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Now for something really off topic...

I just got an Amazon Echo today and am in the process of getting it to do stuff. Out of the box it's best for playing music IMO, and it functions better with Prime Music than with Spotify. I am really impressed with its voice recognition ability. I really like how it quickly responds to "Alexa, shut up" when it gets my music request wrong.
Hope Alexa is the only one listening to your voice 24/7. The whole idea kind of creeps me out. Sort of like the Big Eye in 1984.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Hope Alexa is the only one listening to your voice 24/7. The whole idea kind of creeps me out. Sort of like the Big Eye in 1984.
Ha. There is a button that can be pushed to turn off its listening ability. But does it really stop listening? There is no way to verify it...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin