HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 2:23 AM

Student housing project planned on San Marcos’ Guadalupe Street

Quote:
he San Marcos Planning and Zoning Commission will consider on Tuesday a request from ETR Development Consulting for approval of a plan to construct a five-story student housing complex at 228 S. Guadalupe St., San Marcos, the former site of the Tuttle Lumber Co.

The property is not located within the effective 100-year flood plain map from the Federal Emergency Management Administration, but is within the draft of FEMA’s updated 100-year flood plain map. FEMA’s flood plain maps show areas expected to be under water during a storm that has a 1 percent likelihood of occurring or being exceeded each year.

Before the developer’s site plan proposal can be approved, it must receive approval of a qualified watershed protection plan, or QWPP, which according to city documents “must show that there is no adverse impact on flows discharging from the site” into Purgatory Creek.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:55 AM
Meh

Has anyone heard of anything about a new large medical center in Buda? I heard at work that they're planning a new hospital there with around 1,000 jobs. They said it would be bigger than the one in Kyle.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 9:56 AM

Round Rock to Enter Hotel/Convention Center Agreement

Quote:
Round Rock (Williamson Co.) - The city of Round Rock plans to enter an agreement with Stonemill Hospitality LLC for the development of an Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center.

Stonemill is a Texas registered limited liability company with offices on South Padre Island, and is represented by the Rentfro Law Firm of Brownsville.

However, the owner is listed as Bharat Patel, a prominent hotelier whose company, Sun Development & Management Corp., is based in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Consideration of a resolution to authorize the mayor to execute the agreement is before City Council at its Wednesday, Jan. 26 meeting.

The project entails the construction of a 160-room hotel with approximately 14,000 square feet of convention and meeting space on a 6.5-acre tract. The project site is next to the Round Rock Premium Outlets and a Bass Pro Shop.

According to the Economic Development Program Agreement, Stonemill will invest about $20 million of improvements no later than July 1, 2019. Upon completion, Stonemill will hire at least 60 full-time employees.

Round Rock will provide economic incentive payments to Stonehill on a quarterly basis that are capped at $4 million.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
160 rooms must be a misprint. That's easily a hundred short of where it probably is, maybe more.

By comparison, the Driskill downtown has 180+ rooms.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 9:15 AM

[B]Student Housing: Cheatham Street Flats in San Marcos to Break Ground Soon/B]

Quote:
San Marcos (Hays Co.) - Cheatham Street Flats, a $15.5 million student housing development will be breaking ground soon and replacing a blighted city block with a multistory attractive building.

The developer, Cheatham Street Flats LLC of Austin, gave invited general contractors until Feb. 9 to submit bids to build a 188,530-square-foot residence.

There will be 120 pre-fabricated residential modules and two levels of below grade parking; this includes raised basement level. The 120 units will have 245 bedrooms and a total of 81,818 square feet of living space.

The underground parking accommodates approximately 80 vehicles. The project site address is 401 S. Guadalupe Street and it is to the southeast of the intersection of Guadalupe Street and Cheatham Street. Along Guadalupe, there will be 14 diagonal parking slots, including parking that is ADA compliant.

Construction will commence sometime in lateFebruary and the estimated completion is in the first quarter of 2018.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 1:12 AM

DT Round Rock new urban townhomes

Quote:
By Rachel Lucio
Feb 6th. 2017

The 3.7-acre lot on which the building stands is the future site for an urban living community set to break ground later this year, bringing new residents within a stone’s throw of downtown Round Rock.

David Foor, vice president of land acquisition with Houston-based developer InTown Homes, said the objective of the project is to produce a contemporary urban community that blends seamlessly with the current portrait of downtown Round Rock. The 80-unit townhome community will feature an exterior composed of limestone, steel and glass that marries modern urban living with the surrounding historic district.
https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...ll-boost-area/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 1:13 AM

I just read on their FB page in which states that Round Rock can build as high a 15 stories if not taller.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:19 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I'd love to see some 10-15 story towers in Round Rock's downtown, definitely.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
We'll never have a distinct downtown feel or square like Georgetown or even Taylor, so adding a cluster of taller structures might be the ticket to creating somewhat of a downtown bullseye. The traffic circle and work they've done near Mays and 620 just east of 35 around the water tower and Round Rock Donuts is an improvement, but still falls short of defining a downtown center. Round Rock to me is still defined by its sprawl in all directions and divided communities.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:29 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
We'll never have a distinct downtown feel or square like Georgetown or even Taylor, so adding a cluster of taller structures might be the ticket to creating somewhat of a downtown bullseye. The traffic circle and work they've done near Mays and 620 just east of 35 around the water tower and Round Rock Donuts is an improvement, but still falls short of defining a downtown center. Round Rock to me is still defined by its sprawl in all directions and divided communities.
I disagree. I think that Round Rock is very purposefully trying to create a downtown feel and succeeding, in my eyes. Maybe it isn't the type of downtown you're used to seeing, but it reminds me a lot of Main Street in Columbia without the few tall buildings.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Same here. I know Round Rock has some height but not anything significant. I'm hoping one day the city builds a 15 story tower somewhere downtown.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 1:58 AM

Pflugerville first Baylor S&W Hospital

Quote:
By Claire Tickets
Feb 8th. 2017

PFLUGERVILLE, Texas (KXAN) — The city of Pflugerville is one step closer to getting their first hospital with the groundbreaking on Wednesday.

The Baylor Scott & White operated facility will be on 148.88 acres at State Highway 130 and Pflugerville Parkway.

It is a part of a $1.38 million economic development deal. The incentive agreement is one piece of the extended process, including zoning changes and the creation of a “planned unit development,” or PUD, within which the medical facility would be built.
http://kxan.com/2017/02/08/groundbre...book_KXAN_News

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 9:57 PM

Is this the start of Burnet/Blanco counties finally (officially) becoming part of the metro?

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...ent-to-be.html

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:36 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Is this the start of Burnet/Blanco counties finally (officially) becoming part of the metro?

Nice find. It seems like things are certainly moving in that direction, especially Burnet County (from 71 in the south and 29 in the north as Liberty Hill is next in line to explode after Cedar Park/Leander). I know that Hwy 71 is ripe for development. I read an article (I think posted on here way back when) about Spicewood being one of the next boom areas of the Austin metro. It follows then that the growth will eventually travel up 71 and connect to the Marble Falls area. The southern portion Burnet County has most of the county's current population and is probably likely to see the most growth to complement SW Travis County's growth.

Now to preemptively expand infrastructure in the area to handle the imminent growth and development...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:35 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

You know it was bound to happen that 71 between Beecaves and the Perdenales River would be developed, but I find it really sad to see what was once untouched wooded hills and georgous valleys is now covered in subdivisions. An area of Travis County that should have been protected as a park or preserve. Traffic on that stretch is rapidly becoming a nightmare.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:54 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
You know it was bound to happen that 71 between Beecaves and the Perdenales River would be developed, but I find it really sad to see what was once untouched wooded hills and georgous valleys is now covered in subdivisions. An area of Travis County that should have been protected as a park or preserve. Traffic on that stretch is rapidly becoming a nightmare.
Several of those subdivisions have been there for decades. Development out in the Bee Cave/Lakeway/Briarcliff/Spicewood area is nothing "new." And traffic is not a nightmare. Not by a long shot. It has, however, increased over the years. But, it is nowhere near what it is on some of Austin's inner major arteries.

I know that is your opinion, but, I LOVE it out there. Love it enough to buy several properties including my homestead. It is still beautiful...gorgeous. I'm thrilled and ecstatic to be in the Bee Cave/Lakeway area. The BCCR (and other reserves) still cover a huge swath of area out there. There is no need to expand it.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Feb 14, 2017 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 7:51 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Several of those subdivisions have been there for decades. Development out in the Bee Cave/Lakeway/Briarcliff/Spicewood area is nothing "new." And traffic is not a nightmare. Not by a long shot. It has, however, increased over the years. But, it is nowhere near what it is on some of Austin's inner major arteries.

I know that is your opinion, but, I LOVE it out there. Love it enough to buy several properties including my homestead. It is still beautiful...gorgeous. I'm thrilled and ecstatic to be in the Bee Cave/Lakeway area. The BCCR (and other reserves) still cover a huge swath of area out there. There is no need to expand it.
I used to go through 71 past Beecaves quite often and it was only the last 5 to 8 years that I've seen neighboods pop up on those hills with more currently under construction as 71 drops in elevation towards the Perdenales. There were other neighboods though they were not as visible as the newer ones.

I know people love to be out there but what brought yourself as well as them there in the first place? It's no longer wide open spaces, ranches and wilderness. Instead of natural surroundings, it's turning into pocket preserves surrounded by suburbia in the hills. Its losing its charm and now you have to travel ever farther out to get to what that area of 71 used to be like 5 to 10 years ago.

Sure I know it's a pointless waste of time to complain and that's all my rant is. As I said before it was only a matter of time that the hill country around Austin became sprawl. No matter what we do in becoming dense and compact, we can't control what is built beyond the city limits. It is what it is.

As far as traffic, it was I guess 4 months ago that I was in that area around 5 p.m. and it took 45 min to get from Lakeway to Beecaves to Southwest Parkway. Just the light at 620 took 20 min to get through. Now that may be normal nowadays but I was shocked at how long it took.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:48 AM

Liberty Hill growth

Found a recent article on Liberty Hill talking about their high growth rate.

http://lhindependent.com/higher-inco...-liberty-hill/

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 11:57 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

Here is an article a family member sent me regarding the Spicewood development on Paleface Ranch Road.
http://http://www.dailytrib.com/2017...-shops-resort/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:27 AM
World Traveler

Marble Falls releases proposed design for hotel/conference center

Quote:
The 151 rooms are one part of the five-level, 130,000-square-foot structure.

The ground floor would cover 40,000 square feet and include a restaurant, a lobby, offices, a meeting space, and a ballroom.
http://www.dailytrib.com/2017/03/27/...erence-center/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin