HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 12:17 AM
I am a typical

Everything I heard pointed to demolition, but at the last minute, someone bought it and has started repairing it. Not sure if it will actually find a tenant though.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 1:01 PM

The tender for expansion of the NorWest Community Health Centre is now out. Should take a month or so to close... still a little while before construction yet. A tender is also out for renovation and a fairly significant addition to Atikokan's hospital, which should give local trades some work.

The tender for the new Carpenter's Union hall and training centre closed, and bid numbers were released. It could possibly be re-tendered, delaying construction, or go ahead based on the bids received. Hard to tell at this point.

Local media is reporting that Intercity Mall, Target and another unnamed retailer are in negotiations for that unnamed retailer to take over the former Target location, now vacant of course.

Piles are being driven now for the new Gap Outlet store at the Thunder Centre. A new pharmacy is going to be moving into 1040 Oliver Road (new health services building at the hospital). Interior fit-up will be required first.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
Apparently Costco is now a definite go for Thunder Bay, and the company is in development stage for a new store locally. I am hearing this from within the company, so there is not much more accurate source of information than that! No idea on timelines yet though.

The new Tim Horton location for the south core is also out for pricing. It will be located on May St., somewhere near the government building and Paterson Park. I am thinking in some of the empty land north of the two aforementioned landmarks.

The new Carpenter's Union hall is also out for pricing. It will be built in Innova Park from all indications.
As a long time supporter of getting a Costco , I cant find any news online of us getting a Costco . So is this just another rumour ?

Tim Hortons might be building on the empty lot at May and Cummings .
Also regarding Tim Hortons , I heard from a reliable source that 2 other new stores will be built and the locations aren't final yet but here is the short list.
1....on Red River rd , behind/ beside/across from The Beer store ???? not a whole lot of room there, not sure where
2.....Northwood Plaza
3.....Robins location at John and Valley which is closed and fenced off now.

As far as the Gap building beside Toys R Us , and another store you or someone mentioned , unless the foot print of these stores are huge there is room for a third building.
Tony Romas at old Swiss Chalet location is a go again and some work has been going on inside I talked to some contractors there ....its completely gutted .
Also how long can the foundation work for condos at golf course sit before they become a loss ? Cant see anyone stepping up and taking over this project

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 2:29 AM
I am a typical

NorWest wants to break ground by the end of June, but the project has been met with so many delays that no one is going to give any firm dates.

The new project will be relocating the walk-in clinic to its own 8,000 square foot facility (I don't know if it will be attached or simply beside, I am assuming it will be attached) in what is currently the main parking lot, and the old walk-in facility in the main building will become offices and programming space. The new walk-in facility will be fully accessible and very modern, the staff are really excited for it.

The former Atlas Van Lines property will be turned into a parking lot soon.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 12:45 PM

As far as I understand, Tim's is a for sure on May St., so long as the price comes in where one would expect. One has also been long-rumoured for Northwod Park Plaza where the gas station once was. Always have to be concerned with contamination when building over on the lot of a former gas station though. Agostino's sold the business at the corner of John and Valley (to retire), but I haven't heard who the new owner is yet, or what is planned.

As for Costco, it has not been officially announced that they are coming here, so there will be no references to that available online. All I will say is my information came from a two credible sources, one who has already looked at initial plans. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say an announcement will come (so long as things stay on track) around mid-summer.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 11:26 PM

Country Club

Heard a rumor from a good source that the Thunder Bay Country Club and the City of Thunder Bay are discussing a land swap involving the Country Club property and Strathcona Golf Course. Makes some sense as the Country Club property likely has greater value in developing a medical corridor. No doubt the devil is residing in the details.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 1:35 PM

Certainly possible, especially with the failed condo project. A good portion of the TBCC property is now useless because of all the fill piled everywhere. I can't see the membership being overly impressed with that sight. I have heard that workmanship on the foundation was very poor, and who knows if it could even be used down the road.

One also has to consider that Intercity and the Thunder Centre are also now pretty well filled up. Any new retailers coming to town that wish to build a new building will have to locate elsewhere.

Former Petersen's Furniture building has finally sold, and will be repurposed. Nothing exciting planned, but at least it will be cleaned up a bit and occupied again.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 4:52 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I'm happy that Thunder Bay seems to be adding a lot of sidewalk.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 6:39 PM

It looks like Lowes will be coming to Intercity. That'll be some competition for the Home Depot! They will be taking over the Target location

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 7:19 PM

There is also word that Rexall pharmacy has purchased the Lakehead Labour center and plans to demolish the site and enter the market with a new store at that location.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 4:25 PM

It's been a long time since there was a Rexall in Thunder Bay. Many many years ago there were a few including one in Current River on Grenville. I think that was the last one.

That seems like an odd place to enter into the market. I would think they would aim for a neighbourhood like County Fair or Parkdale, something a little more separated from the 24 hr Shoppers.

I heard a rehash of the land swap rumour between the city and thunder bay country club for strathcona. Is this still a thing?

Last edited by F. Lionel; May 14, 2015 at 4:26 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 1:23 AM
I am a typical

The Beer Store on May Street is closing in 2016, it will be replaced by a drive-through store in the Thunder Centre.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 6:56 PM
Urban Fanactic

Part 1 of some projects around Sault Ste. Marie.
Site of new five floor seniors home on North Street by Second Line West. Service connections have just recently been installed.

New apartment building on Second Line West at Edison Avenue.

A new house I'm working on through school at Copper Street and Assunta Drive.

New commercial building at Second Line East (Hwy 17) and Old Garden River Road.

New dental office on Pim Street just south of Bruce Street.

International Bridge Plaza by Albert Street West and Huron Street.

Windsor Park, our tallest pre-WWII building will now be abandoned this summer after Algoma University closes its downtown residence after only opening it three years ago because of declining enrollment.

Recladding an apartment building on Kohler Street. Giving it the Sault treatment (bricks to aluminium siding).

Pictures by me.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The Beer Store on May Street is closing in 2016, it will be replaced by a drive-through store in the Thunder Centre.
And you thought the lines at Timmies drive thru were bad.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 12:46 AM
Urban Fanactic

Part 2 of some construction projects in Sault Ste. Marie.

New St. Mary's Catholic High School at Second Line East (Hwy 17) at Pine Street.

New home to the Algoma Conservatory of Music.

New Mill Machine Shop Concert Hall.

Old pulp tower to be converted into a museum of nature.

Demolition finishing up at phase 1 of Riverwalk Condos.

Phase 1 of the Riverwalk Condo. Will convert the old Plummer hospital to condominiums. It's 90% sold and is the first condominium to be built in the city in six years.

Phase 2 of the Riverwalk Condos. Will convert the old general hospital built in the 1940's to condominiums.

Park Manor Apartments at Bay and East Street.

Pictures by me.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I'm actually somewhat surprised by this. May St is quoted consistently as being one of the highest volume in the whole system. I wonder, though, how many of those people are walk ups to the store who might not buy as much if they have to walk further to the Thunder Centre? The Thunder Centre isn't really part of any neighbourhood, just on the periphery of one. It's an automotive destination, not a pedestrian one. It just seems like an odd relocation, albeit one that I can somewhat understand from a commercial location standpoint.

I am also going to assume that this isn't really public knowledge yet because the "Destruction of Fort William" brigade hasn't started spewing their usual bs on internet.

Curious, too, as to where a drive through beer store would be located in the Thunder Centre. I thought with the construction of The Gap it would be pretty much at capacity now?

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 2:13 PM

Energy North Bancorp has asked Council for a LOI regarding a possible facility here.

They would source silica sand in the area to produce low-iron glass and metallurgical-grade silicon for solar PV arrays. While most failed PV manufacturers in Ontario have been assembly plants for components sourced overseas, they intend to be fully vertically integrated from raw materials to finished product. Aside from the aforementioned sand, they need a lot of natural gas, wood chips to deoxidize the silica, 3000-5000 employees, and 1000 acres of land, though not necessarily contiguous.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 12:51 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
I'm actually somewhat surprised by this. May St is quoted consistently as being one of the highest volume in the whole system. I wonder, though, how many of those people are walk ups to the store who might not buy as much if they have to walk further to the Thunder Centre? The Thunder Centre isn't really part of any neighbourhood, just on the periphery of one. It's an automotive destination, not a pedestrian one. It just seems like an odd relocation, albeit one that I can somewhat understand from a commercial location standpoint.

I am also going to assume that this isn't really public knowledge yet because the "Destruction of Fort William" brigade hasn't started spewing their usual bs on internet.

Curious, too, as to where a drive through beer store would be located in the Thunder Centre. I thought with the construction of The Gap it would be pretty much at capacity now?
It's not public knowledge yet, but the employees know and have told a few people. It will either be going between The Gap and Micheal's or it will be going on Fort William itself as part of the C&H redevelopment of the Labour Centre area. I have a feeling that if C&H doesn't yet own the building next door, they will soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
Energy North Bancorp has asked Council for a LOI regarding a possible facility here.

They would source silica sand in the area to produce low-iron glass and metallurgical-grade silicon for solar PV arrays. While most failed PV manufacturers in Ontario have been assembly plants for components sourced overseas, they intend to be fully vertically integrated from raw materials to finished product. Aside from the aforementioned sand, they need a lot of natural gas, wood chips to deoxidize the silica, 3000-5000 employees, and 1000 acres of land, though not necessarily contiguous.
A project of this scale, if it actually manages to get off the ground (and these guys appear to be 0 for 5 right now) would totally change the way this entire city functions. Where ever it goes, the city will have to re-orient itself to it. We'll have to build more roads, more water lines, more houses. Each job created by an industry like this creates up to 3 spin-off jobs, and we only have 2,500 people who are looking for jobs right now in the first place. This single factory, if it happens, will more than "solve" unemployment here. I have a feeling that the factory itself will be located near the Harbour Expressway, as the natural gas line runs down Belrose or thereabouts and there is a lot of undeveloped land. That would be the most desirable location from an urban planning point of view, since there are also nearby water line tie-ins, plans for subdivision development to accommodate most of the people this will attract, and it won't warp the city's development pattern significantly. Some people have suggested it will go on the reserve but that would require massive investments in water, sewer, natural gas and roads; the southern portion of McIntyre Ward already has most of that, plus more land. The biggest question is, who pays for all the infrastructure required just to get this thing off the ground? We're talking at least $200,000,000 in infrastructure that city will have to build to accommodate a development like this.

It's too good to be true. This isn't "like the multiplex", this is a magnitude larger.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 4:13 PM

Vid there is not enough open land along the Harbour expressway for the proposed site. If the dimensions provided are correct they would need nearly 4sq kms. If this plant were to be build the only feasible location I could see would be along the north side of Highway 11/17 between the thunder bay expressway, Mapleward and Oliver road. This would be the perfect location and would cost much less than would think considering that the gas line is on Belrose, the power lines from Kekabeka pass right through this land. MTO is looking at twinning both the Thunder Bay expressway and Highway 11/17 west of thunder bay (the land is purchased and the plans are completed to conceptual stage). So if the plant was coordinated with the infrastructure upgrades it could result in cost savings to everyone. The only expense to the city would be sewer and water to that site, but being close to the Harbour expressway it is relatively easy to run new lines up and down that corridor. I just hope that it all can be coordinated together with all three levels of government and not pieced together after the fact like most other Tbay Projects.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 6:00 PM

Terra vista

Construction seems to have stopped? Any one know why?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario