HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 1:56 AM

Idea for the old Georgia Dome site.

I have an idea for the old Georgia Dome site. The Falcons Stadium is going to be built, but what happens to the old Dome site? Unfortunately, if history repeats itself as it is wont to do, it will result in another giant parking deck. This would be a horrible drain on the city of Atlanta, and I don't think downtown can stand another blow of this magnitude. So I drew up a basic outline of what I believe should be done with the old Georgia Dome site. Of course, it's just a rough outline of what could be, but I really think that something like this should be done— it would not only benefit Downtown, but it would benefit Vine City immensely. Check it out!

http://goo.gl/maps/ZSCWe

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 1:56 PM

Does the new Falcons Site extend that far south?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLove View Post
I've read the south site is preferred but I still don't see how they can make it fit without taking out the churches and a few apartment buildings.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLove View Post
supposedly friendship baptist church is in the way— so yes.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
supposedly friendship baptist church is in the way— so yes.
Might be nitpicking here but on your image you have the site going past the church, over a road, over an apartment complex, over another road, over Bottleworks lofts, and then half way through a condo building.
Regardless of how far south it'll go, the more I read about it the crazier it sounds. Some MAJOR changes will take place. It's pretty exciting though, will be really fun to watch, I hope it happens!

Last edited by echinatl; Mar 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 7:23 AM

I'd like to see it stand personally. My first question is can the GWCC use it for expansion? I know Indy talked about doing that with the RCA Dome before deciding that it was too old. Wouldn't be the case with the GA Dome.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 10:31 PM

For the new soccer team?

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I'd like to see it stand personally. My first question is can the GWCC use it for expansion? I know Indy talked about doing that with the RCA Dome before deciding that it was too old. Wouldn't be the case with the GA Dome.
Part of the reasoning behind the quest for a new venue for the Falcons included the strong desire to have more parking and park space for tailgating, for which the team could gain additional revenue. As such, I can't see how the Ga Dome could remain unless the Falcons have changed their minds about wanting more money. As it is many local leaders are now dealing with Blank and Co. about trying to make sure it doesn't become just one huge surface lot, and that instead there is some bona fide greenspace involved.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 1:57 AM

If it doesn't become parking, the GWCC will eat it up like buttery biscuits.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta