HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 4:23 PM

Remove Lebron James and I would say the image looks dynamite

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 5:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

well, with milwaukee's 550' NML tower more or less under construction and the 507' Couture proposal still weaving it's way through the approval process, this proposed new 647' nuCLEus tower in cleveland, and the rumors of a possible johnson controls HQ in milwaukee that would stand as that city's new tallest, i'm quite pleased that the prospects for new tall buildings in our height-challenged region are looking brighter than they have in a good long while!

viva la midwestern skyscraper development!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 2, 2015 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 5:42 PM

Now we need the Detroit revival to pick up steam. Crain's Detroit mentioned that Lear and Penske could be moving to an industrial park. I wish Detroit success in drawing more companies back to the city. I suspect development will not pick up until the light rail is up and running.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ndustrial-park

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 8:39 AM

Nice proposal for Cleveland!!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

here's a chart i made showing the completion years for every 500+ footer in the midwest.

each dot represents a completed 500+ footer (including U/C towers), color coded by city.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 9, 2015 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 4:23 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

why do you have skyscrapers completed in the future?

this is very interesting, but I think the bar should be lowered for the Midwest outside of Chicago, though. the Midwest -- which has tons of cities with underutilized and "overbuilt" infrastructure and building stock (unlike the southeast) isn't exactly skyscraper friendly, anymore. some cities like st. louis never were, even when it was approaching a million.

I think a lower height limit for new construction would be much more informative (and take more work, of course). you're also completely missing the non Chicago Midwest art deco skyscraper boom which even came to St. Louis (and utterly transformed Detroit and Kansas City).

Last edited by Centropolis; Oct 12, 2015 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 2:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
why do you have skyscrapers completed in the future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
each dot represents a completed 500+ footer (including U/C towers), color coded by city.
those 4 "future" dots are for 500+ ft buidlings that are currently under construction, 3 in chicago and 1 in milwaukee. i didn't include any proposed or planned towers in the chart, just projects that are already heading skyward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
this is very interesting, but I think the bar should be lowered for the Midwest outside of Chicago, though. the Midwest -- which has tons of cities with underutilized and "overbuilt" infrastructure and building stock (unlike the southeast) isn't exactly skyscraper friendly, anymore.
but that was kind of the point of this thread: the midwest has become height-challenged over the past 20 years, as opposed to '70s/'80s/early '90s when skyscraper construction was much more common throughout the region's cities.

i guess i could lower the threshold a bit, maybe say down to 450' to pick up all of the buildings that have been built in minneapolis over the past 15 years that keep falling just short of 500', but i don't want to lower it too much because then i'd have to start adding a lot more cities to the chart, and i wanted to keep the exercise focused on just the biggest cities with the tallest buildings.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 13, 2015 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 3:22 PM

yeah, you're missing out on important, older skyscrapers outside of chicago like power and light (476 ft) and fidelity national trust (470 ft) in kansas city and of course the stuff in detroit like the book tower (also 476 ft) that would add an element of interest to the graphic and highlight the presence of the deco tower boom in the rest of the midwest.

wikipedia.com

maybe even lower to catch the pre-war skyscraper-like buildings like the continental tower in midtown st. louis (not for chicago).

wikipedia.com

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 4:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

ok, here's how the chart looks dropped down to a 450' height threshold.

i'm not going any lower than that because at 400' i'd have to start adding smaller cities like fort wayne, lincoln, grand rapids, toledo, dayton, and even suburban municipalities like clayton, oak brook terrace, and southfield. with too many different cities, the color coding of the chart will be lost, so i don't want to do that.

even with the drop down to 450', it's still readily apparent that the midwest (outsde of chicago) has massively lost the height mojo it once had back in the '70s/'80s/early '90s.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 8:49 PM

it's so very odd that the downtown business community in st. louis was putting money into downtown new construction during the time period that they did -- only to give up on new construction as their potential workforce returned to the area. you end up with outbound traffic jams of people commuting to downtown clayton and suburban office corridors from city neighborhoods. meanwhile, the regions expressway and rail infrastructure is designed to feed into downtown.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 10:18 PM
Proud Homer!

Despite its history with the Wainwright Building and The Gateway Arch, St. Louis seems to have always had an aversion to building tall.

The anti-tall NIMBYS in St. Louis have killed a number of projects over the years. And many of the killed projects wouldn't have even reached 500'.

The second tallest building in the 2000's - after the Eagleton Courthouse - to be built was The Plaza in Clayton (409'). NIMBY's killed the original plan (below) because they feared a "shadow" would be cast upon their neighborhood and they feared the condo units wouldn't sell in a taller structure.

Also, St. Louis' bigger companies do a lot of build-to-suit projects in far-flung suburbs that frown upon height - Des Peres, Town & Country, Chesterfield, Maryland Heights (to a lesser extent) and Creve Coeur.

Personally, I think, the exception being Chicago and it seems Minneapolis, the Midwest has a mindset that it doesn't build what it doesn't need.

Other regions - particularly in the South - such as Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, Dallas etc. seem to have more of a "build it and they will come" and risk approach to building.

Plaza in Clayton, First Proposal

Plaza in Clayton, Second Proposal

Below was the final result because of NIMBYISM.

Last edited by Arch City; Oct 14, 2015 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City View Post
Personally, I think, the exception being Chicago and it seems Minneapolis, the Midwest has a mindset that it doesn't build what it doesn't need.
but that mindset wasn't in effect in the '70s/'80s/early '90s when just about all midwest cities were stumbling over each other trying to build a new tallest building for themselves.

just take another look at the 450' chart i posted on the previous page. back then there was an orgy of skyscraper construction across all of the midwest's major cities, then the commercial real estate crash of the early '90s brought a halt to skyscraper construction nationwide for many years. chicago eventually resumed large scale skyscraper construction in the '00s. the rest of the midwest didn't.

the midwest (outside of chicago) somehow lost its skyscraper swagger over the past two decades. i wish it would get it back.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 15, 2015 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 5:47 AM

I'd love to see the midwest get more skyscrapers. If I ever leave my metropolis (Chicago), the closest place I can go is NYC. I hope that somewhere like Milwaukee or Minneapolis/St. Paul grows.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
let's hope chicago's imminent skyscraper boom gives the rest of the midwest a kick in the ass to get going too.

so far, only milwaukee appears to have gotten the memo.
well, with the exciting news over the past week, it appears that minneapolis has has now gotten the memo as well!

Milwaukee:

- NML Tower - 550' - 32 floors - currently under construction

- The Couture - 507' - 44 floors - proposed, construction start anticipated next summer

- JCI Headquaters - 50+ floors - rumored, company to make final decision within a year.

Minneapolis:

- 801 Marquette Avenue - 655' - 50 floors - proposed, construction start anticipated next fall

- The Skyline - 467' - 40 floors - proposed

Cleveland:

nuCLEus - 647' - 54 floors - proposed

if all of these projects pop over the next couple of years, then we can officially retire this thread.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest