HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 1:12 PM

Good infill. Looks a little bland. Main floor is painted grey concrete. Ugh. Also off setting windows like that looks ridiculous

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 2:08 PM
Κύριε ἐλέησοv

Looks horribly cheap. I wish they would have done it in brick so it would fit in better with its neighbours.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 2:23 PM

In case anyone is interested. Bosa is buying up 1060 Barclay Street unit by unit - they are planning to flip it to a rental and then, a few years from now, build a 50+ tower on that site. I believe they will also move on 1070 and 1080 at the closed bid auction on September 10. With the co-op at 1045, essentially, doomed, that little six-unit "heritage house" is going to look really ridiculous on that block (if it remains). Apparently, the overall plan is to make the 1000 block of Barclay/Nelson the most densely populated patch in the city.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Looks horribly cheap. I wish they would have done it in brick so it would fit in better with its neighbours.
You mean you wish it looked more like what was originally proposed before the UDP rejected the design?

http://vancitypresales.com/sequel-138/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 5:48 PM

That looks way better

But udp doesn't decide on design of the building? Just form density use etc. right? So who and why was the original rejected? Anyone know?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:36 PM
Κύριε ἐλέησοv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
You mean you wish it looked more like what was originally proposed before the UDP rejected the design?

http://vancitypresales.com/sequel-138/
That looks way better, not great, but much better than the garbage that went up.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:38 PM

^ It was also always going to be metal panels. The faux articulation of the massing to try and make it 'read' as multiple buildings was part of the reason for the initial lack of support, mostly because it was going to use the same (lowish quality) materials in different colours, as opposed to committing to the differentiation through the use of different materials, different windows, different fenestration, awnings, commercial retail expression, etc.

However, my recollection was that the dominant reason were the huge reservations about the original design's highly problematic breezeway to the alley that would have added pedestrian permeability between Hastings and the alley, which the architects were excited to note functions as a "parallel pedestrian street" that they wanted to celebrate and activate with small incubator retail spaces. Yeah. To address the screamingly obvious CPTED issues, it would have had some sort of swinging & folding portcullis-like glass and metal barrier system that would be dragged out nightly to bar access to the alcove/passageway from Hastings and the alley outside of business hours, though I'm honestly not sure how that was illustrated in the previous rendering. There was a well-intentioned fantasy of having a series of (tiny) commercial retail units on the alley side that would accessible from Hastings during the day using the passageway. I am not sure whether the passage way survived to the final (built) iteration, perhaps in a re-thought configuration.

So yes, the final design is pretty flat and bland, and higher quality materials would have helped, but the insanity of creating brand new weather-protected alcoves and passageways free from prying eyes on the street leading to the largely lawless laneway were important reason for the original design's lack of support. At least that's my recollection. It's been a few years now.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Aug 31, 2015 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:41 PM
Community Guy

Simple, effective.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Do they own that midrise as well or why would they care about it? It is not their problem if that gets developed after their condo tower has gone up. The residents-to-be would likely care, but not the developer.
Just be good citizens?

The City would also pinpoint the potential issue and probably cause them to address it - i.e. it would be an issue for any midblock site - as well as those facing other sites across alleys.

There's the Bing Thom condo at 889 Homer with the blank alley-facing back that will face the future park.

There's also the back of 888 Hamilton with small windows that was built 20 years ago that will now face the proposed tower at Cambie & Smithe.

Another example of overlook is the Hotel Georgia condo and HSBC Building.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhsheba View Post
In case anyone is interested. Bosa is buying up 1060 Barclay Street unit by unit - they are planning to flip it to a rental and then, a few years from now, build a 50+ tower on that site. I believe they will also move on 1070 and 1080 at the closed bid auction on September 10. With the co-op at 1045, essentially, doomed, that little six-unit "heritage house" is going to look really ridiculous on that block (if it remains). Apparently, the overall plan is to make the 1000 block of Barclay/Nelson the most densely populated patch in the city.
for how long? there is a unit in there that's been on the market for about a month

Old Posted Today, 4:52 AM

Canaccord Tower lobby
Pics by me today.
The Meinhardts (on the corner to the right) looks to be near completion.

Old Posted Today, 7:40 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Vancouver Hotel That Housed Howard Hughes Offers New Whodunnit
Westin Bayshore nearing sale for roughly C$270 million to C$290 million

http://www.wsj.com/articles/vancouve...nit-1441099803

I would put my money on Concord taking it

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver