HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:51 PM

I posted a comment yesterdday in support of the development and I was shock to see it go through. But my comment only lasted about 12 hours as I just checked and it has been deleted, lol. Those @ssholes!!!

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:58 PM

Perhaps too many off us spammed it because I think they took down the entire comment page.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That website says nothing about opposing the project -
ehh, i don't know about that. the "Friends of Riverbend Condo Views", um, i mean "Friends of Wolf Point" website does have the following blurb posted in one of their own articles.

Quote:
A group of 20 Friends of Wolf Point met with 42nd Ward Alderman Brendan Reilly (pictured left), today at his office to discuss the future development planned at the Wolf Point site.

The unscheduled visit by the Friends group, all citizens of the 42nd Ward, was an opportunity to share their concerns about traffic, density and quality of life issues that could result from creating a high-rise development on the site.
source: http://friendsofwolfpoint.com/friend...derman-reilly/

it's not an outright admission of anti-highrise NIMBYism, but it sure sounds like they swing that way.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Perhaps too many off us spammed it because I think they took down the entire comment page.
Spam the May 29th meeting instead. Spam Reilly's office instead. Spam Hines in support instead. The best way to squash this jamokes is to be the voice of reason against their anti-urbanity rants in person.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 8:18 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
ehh, i don't know about that. the "Friends of Riverbend Condo Views", um, i mean "Friends of Wolf Point" website does have the following blurb posted in one of their own articles.

source: http://friendsofwolfpoint.com/friend...derman-reilly/

it's not an outright admission of anti-highrise NIMBYism, but it sure sounds like they swing that way.
So why not come out and say it?

I won't be surprised if they've already made up their minds against the project, but if that's true, they're being awfully coy.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Spam the May 29th meeting instead. Spam Reilly's office instead. Spam Hines in support instead. The best way to squash this jamokes is to be the voice of reason against their anti-urbanity rants in person.
These people are jokes, everyone of you that lives in Chicago should go to the meeting and make sure your voice is heard. This is Chicago, it has the 3rd highest economic output in the world. It's not suppose to be a park, it's supposed to be a economic center.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 10:03 PM
The City

I can't wait to watch the Kennedy family squash these NIMBY's into pancakes.

I would guess a few phone calls to Rahm and Brendan, a shared bottle of wine, a laugh or two, a campaign contribution, perhaps even a weekend trip to Martha's Vineyard? Sounds like a sealed deal to me..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 10:21 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
I've been wondering where this mystery group came from all of a sudden. A quick check shows that the website is registered to a retiree living on one of the top floors of Riverbend.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 10:35 PM

Well that makes sense, trying to protect his views...

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
When I first checked out the Friends of Wolf Point website, I saw only three comments posted - one from a man complaining about all the extra traffic the Wolf Point development would cause - another from a woman that felt building highrises on such an historic piece of ground would be some form of sacrilege(as if the surface parking lot that occupies the space currently is the proper way to honor its historic significance) - and a third from a woman who bemoaned the loss of what she called the last place in downtown Chicago that has any wildlife in it. She also worried about where to walk her dog if the Point gets developed. Now all comments are gone.

I have no doubt that the group is comprised mostly of Riverbend residents. If the three comments that first appeared on the site are any indication, they are, no doubt, grasping to identify as many reasons as they could, as implausible as they are, to stop any development on Wolf Point - short of stating the most obvious reason they don't want it - because it would block their views. I have a feeling that if they used that argument, they would receive little sympathy.

I also have no doubt that in addition to the Riverbend residents, Shorenstein, which picked up the Apparel Center recently for $228 million, and Hostmark, which spent $26 million to renovate the Holiday Inn-Mart Plaza in 2009, are just as concerned about blocked views, and will be the invisible hand guiding Friends of Wolf Point.

I smell the scent of freshly cut AstroTurf.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I can't wait to watch the Kennedy family squash these NIMBY's into pancakes.

I would guess a few phone calls to Rahm and Brendan, a shared bottle of wine, a laugh or two, a campaign contribution, perhaps even a weekend trip to Martha's Vineyard? Sounds like a sealed deal to me..
haha love this. It's so true though, the Kennedy's always get what they want, and they will definitely get this. Rahm knows that this will help Chicago, and will probably pull a Daley and even try to increase the height. We shouldn't be worried about this small group

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:45 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo View Post
Shorenstein, which picked up the Apparel Center recently for $228 million, and Hostmark, which spent $26 million to renovate the Holiday Inn-Mart Plaza in 2009, are just as concerned about blocked views, and will be the invisible hand guiding Friends of Wolf Point.
Shrewd move by the Kennedys. Sell off the Apparel Center for top dollar then dramatically undercut the value by building a huge trio of highrises right next door.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I've been wondering where this mystery group came from all of a sudden. A quick check shows that the website is registered to a retiree living on one of the top floors of Riverbend.
Administrative Contact:
Broido, Peter
333 N Canal St Apt 3504
Chicago, Illinois 60606
United States
630 440-2101
peterbroido@gmail.com

Created:2012-04-07

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:24 AM

Its almost funny how perfectly this guy lives up to stereotypes, but then its more just sad.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 7:06 PM
BANNED

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....kyscraper.html

BY BLAIR KAMIN

May 10, 2012

Wolf Point plan deserves scrutiny; Kennedy family and architect Pelli plan complex that includes 900-foot skyscraper

Is it finally Wolf Point’s time?

Exactly 180 years ago,...

As the story is playing out in the press, it is all about height measurements and the usual NIMBY concerns: blocked views, predictions of nightmarish traffic tie-ups and so forth. What is little-discussed are the essential matters ...

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:33 PM
DENNAB

great news, hopefully 900 feet can turn into 1000+ with some sort of architectural element.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:55 PM

Anyone else excited for May 29th ? Here is the thing, this building will definitely get built, so lets hope that the design is good!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
Here is the thing, this building will definitely get built
and what do you base such a bold declaration on?

you are aware that many other proposals and plans for wolf point have crashed and burned over the decades, right?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:11 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Shrewd move by the Kennedys. Sell off the Apparel Center for top dollar then dramatically undercut the value by building a huge trio of highrises right next door.
It might temporarily depress the value, but in the long term, having more things near the Apparel Mart will probably only increase its value.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
and what do you base such a bold declaration on?

you are aware that many other proposals and plans for wolf point have crashed and burned over the decades, right?
It's the Kennedy's. It's similar to how a Trump building always get's built. They are both very powerful, and have a lot of money to fund whatever they want.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive