HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 4:00 AM
加油

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
first off, taiwanese are very pro-american more than other english-speaking countries and always conform to american culture and american english language. second off, in new york we call them brownstones like in manhattan; other places in ny we call them townhouse. i've never heard of people call them row house in new york. third off, nobody cares about new jersey.
Taiwan does not "always conform to American culture and american English". I have no idea where you would get that idea from.

ed21x is correct in their post.

I can think of some English words that we use in Taiwan that would make you scratch your head and think "What does that mean".

And the term Row House is used in NY.

http://www.brooklynrowhouse.com/

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/UWS/UWS060.htm

I can post more links if you want, or even blogs from people describing their "Row House" in NYC.

Last edited by anyiliang; Dec 6, 2009 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyiliang View Post
Taiwan does not "always conform to American culture and american English". I have no idea where you would get that idea from.

ed21x is correct in their post.

I can think of some English words that we use in Taiwan that would make you scratch your head and think "What does that mean".

And the term Row House is used in NY.

http://www.brooklynrowhouse.com/

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/UWS/UWS060.htm

I can post more links if you want, or even blogs from people describing their "Row House" in NYC.
ed21x is not correct in her post. she said "Townhouses is a uniquely californian term, to describe a type of architecture that only exists in california." that is totally INCORRECT and if you believe that then you both dont know what you are talking about. were you raised in ny and lived there all your life? if not, then whatever. i know FOR A FACT most people use the term "townhouse" NOT rowhouse. for each link you post i can post 10 links to prove you wrong.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:39 AM

chill there, raz, we've all been here for many years.

if you want my background, I grew up in Southern California, went to university in the bay area, and am now working/grad school here in New York, so what I speak of are from first hand experience. You will occasionally hear people use the term 'townhouse' and 'rowhouse' here in NY, and I'm sure all of them are interchangeable, but for the pictures posted in this thread, I can assure you that most people here would call them brownstones. I wouldn't necessarily call them mutually exclusive. In modern connotations, the term 'townhouse' is best described in the following:

Quote:
The name "townhouse" or "townhomes" was later used to describe non-uniform units in suburban areas that are designed to mimic detached or semi-detached homes. The distinction between dwellings called just "apartments" or "condos" is that these townhouses usually consist of multiple families, usually multiple floors. The traditional "townhouse" apartment is a two bedroom unit with the living room in the front on the lower level, kitchen in the back. Two bedrooms are on the front and back of the upper level with a single bathroom between. This style has become less popular in areas where it has been adopted by rent control or HUD apartments.
in otherwords, the suburban townhomes usually exists in affluent suburbs where land still costs a premium (and thus many people still choose to live in conjoined townhomes rather than individual residences). check the following pictures for examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tracthousing.jpg

and this of course was popularized in California.

As for the east coast, every once in awhile, you will here the word 'townhouse' used to describe very large condos in an attempt to glorify it at a level above regular single story condos. These can be located in brownstones, rowhouses, etc.

and i think anyiliang was agreeing with my comment about taiwanese response to american english, not housing definitions

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:21 AM

there are clear distinctions between townhouse, townhome and brownstone. i'm going by traditional definitions as i know definitions have morphed and changed over the years and used differently throughout the u.s. and in different cities. being from ny i'm going by ny terminologies since ny/east coast in general have set the standard in this type of residential architecture since it was in this region of the country that townhouses and brownstones were first introduced by european settlers primarily the english and irish several centuries ago.

i've never heard a new yorker use the term "row house" at least in manhattan where there are tons of townhouses. i believe row houses are more commonly used in other cities like baltimore and philadelphia. i also believe 'row house' is not considered as prestigious a term as townhouse. ask anyone who lives in a townhouse - again in manhattan/ny - and most will tell you they live in a townhouse not rowhouse.

as for brownstone, too many people misuse the word 'brownstone'. i showed you the link that explains the history of the term. originally, when these types of houses were first built centuries or decades ago they were specifically constructed from brown sandstone which is why they are called 'brownstone'. just because a townhouse is brown does not make them a 'brownstone'. any pompous affluent elitist owner of a genuine new york city brownstone will tell you this, believe me. because - at least in the past or even now - brown sandstone was a very expensive material to use which is why they are generally considered more prestigious and expensive than a townhouse built with typical bricks or some other cheaper material.

ok i'm done with this topic. back to posting images of taiwanese housing.

Last edited by Razqal; Dec 6, 2009 at 8:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 2:39 PM

[IMG]ttp://tpl.housetube.tw/img/products/popup/1/0/6/3/1/10631_12.jpg[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:19 PM
加油

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed21x View Post

and i think anyiliang was agreeing with my comment about taiwanese response to american english, not housing definitions
Glad you understand what I wrote. Thx

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 9:58 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
sorry, but that is a 'fake' brownstone and a very bad copy at that. there's a reason why they are called 'brownstone' - because they are genuinely constructed from real brown stone. "Brownstone is a brown Triassic sandstone which was once a popular building material." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownstone)

i'm in l.a. now and i notice a lot of fake "new york style" things like ny style pizza, ny style apartments, ny style lofts, ny style cheesecake, ny style steak, ny style burgers, ny style bagels, etc., etc., etc. west coast are always copying new york style.

agreed.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroXpress View Post
agreed.
glad you understand and agree with what i wrote. thx.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 11:26 PM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 5:51 AM

by benken from skyscrapercity.com

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 4:29 AM
Administrator

Hey folks... Please don't forget that you need to backlink to the source of ALL pics you post. You cannot just post pics without a link back to the source, unless they are your own pictures, which you must declare in your post... Also, merely writing what site pictures are from is no good. You must please link back to the source page. Thanks!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/anno...php?f=87&a=313

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 1:45 AM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 2:13 AM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 6:39 PM
Our world, our village.

i really really love the taiwanese residences of latest génération!they make taiwan nicer. tbh the gaudi villa castle has nearly nothing spanish but in sipite of it, it sounds really great.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 6:49 AM
of the bay area

Quote:
this one's pretty nice. the houses are actually pretty large by standards. they're all individual houses and not the typical attached townhouse. they all have driveways and there's even a good size yard too:
wow this is gross, it's literally a slice of california teleported into a rice paddy, right down to the red roof tiles.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley Person View Post
wow this is gross, it's literally a slice of california teleported into a rice paddy, right down to the red roof tiles.
better than all those yucky crumbling dirty raw concrete or mildewy bathroom tile-covered buildings with pigeon coops on the roofs, bird cages on the windows and exposed wiring.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 7:41 AM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 4:20 AM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 4:20 AM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:25 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan