HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:47 PM
Plenary pleasures.

That's awesome, nice find Dan! This is gonna be wonderful

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:57 PM
Metal Up Your !

Statement tower. No doubt it will be Detroit's hallmark landmark, as the GM buildings are.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:51 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

November 15: Drilling continues apace and steel continues to rise on One Campus Martius.

Kirk Pinho

Kirk Pinho

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:58 PM
Registered Ugly

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:01 AM
Here we stAy

^This.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:25 PM

The drill has moved back over to the original hole in the corner.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/11/2...tius-expansion

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 3:22 AM

A couple shots from today:

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:06 PM

Detroit I see one is listed, and I assume it's referencing the Gilbert tower, but a bit misleading, because the tower portion isn't u/c. It's being built in phases, and the first phase (u/c) is a lowrise structure. I would not put money on the highrise portion (at least as rendered) ever being built.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Detroit I see one is listed, and I assume it's referencing the Gilbert tower, but a bit misleading, because the tower portion isn't u/c. It's being built in phases, and the first phase (u/c) is a lowrise structure. I would not put money on the highrise portion (at least as rendered) ever being built.
there was a pic posted of a caisson rig drilling a caisson underneath the tower portion of gilbert's hudson's block project a couple months ago, so per the construction rules of SSP (foundation start), it was listed as offically U/C in the database.

however, i haven't seen any evidence of further foundation construction taking place other than that one caisson hole, so perhaps it was drilled for some reason other than foundation construction?

i did read that gilbert is self financing the construction work currently taking place until actual construction financing is attained. that's ALWAYS a risky gamble, but doubly so in a shaky economy like our current one.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:

You literally made this up, Hudson's is not being built in phases, Monroe Block is.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
however, i haven't seen any evidence of further foundation construction taking place other than that one caisson hole, so perhaps it was drilled for some reason other than foundation construction?
No, they got a permit for foundation work. There are steel caissons on site along with a bunch of other equipment.

Quote:
i did read that gilbert is self financing the construction work currently taking place until actual construction financing is attained. that's ALWAYS a risky gamble, but doubly so in a shaky economy like our current one.
It's not so risky when you consider his projects are bundled with state tax incentives. He's finished/near finished his other large projects (400 million+ developments about the cost of a skyscraper) in a similar fashion and has had no problem gaining financing afterword. His development track record is flawless and the project is on schedule so we have no reason to believe this isn't fully under construction at this moment.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 2:33 AM

Its also worth noting that the foundation work occurring at the Hudson's site in Detroit is for the tower portion, not the shorter office block.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

there was a pic posted of a caisson rig drilling a caisson underneath the tower portion of gilbert's hudson's block project a couple months ago, so per the construction rules of SSP (foundation start), it was listed as offically U/C in the database.

The Hudson project is u/c, but my point is that it's a multi-phase project, and the current construction has nothing to do with the proposed tower portion. They're basically partially demolishing an existing parking garage and building above. The tower plan has been vague and constantly changing, and there's no financing (yet).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 5:08 PM

You're spewing total bullshit lies as usual. The parking garage is completely demolished (not partially), that part is done. The foundation work for the tower is happening now they can't build above the tower's footprint without foundation work you're contradicting yourself. There is NO other phase, they are not starting the podium before the tower and nobody has ever said they would, that's your delusional fantasy. The tower is initially financed by him (just like Book Tower, David Stott, city modern, etc,) and construction will not stop since that works for them, the crew are all on site. You can look up the documents they submitted to the city for the plan, it's all pretty clear, they have a deadline to develop the site.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
JSQ2 is well u/c, for nearly a year now. It's a 760 ft. residential tower in Journal Square; the second in a three-tower project.

The Hudson project is u/c, but my point is that it's a multi-phase project, and the current construction has nothing to do with the proposed tower portion. They're basically partially demolishing an existing parking garage and building above. The tower plan has been vague and constantly changing, and there's no financing (yet).
I walk by the site every single day and I live within a few blocks of it. The garage is entirely demolished and has been for a few months. Foundation work has also been occurring for a couple months. I find it odd you're arguing this from hundreds of miles away while I live within a few thousand feet of the site and see it legitimately every single day.

I took both of these photos on December 2nd:

This is the site, looking north from Gratiot. The underground garage is entirely demolished and you can see they were reinforcing the side walls of the garage. This was formerly Hudson's Department Store's 4 floor basement.

And here's the first caisson thats been drilled on the south side of the site. I took this and the above photo from the same spot along the fence on Gratiot. The south end of the site is where the tower will be built. The northern three quarters of the site is where the shorter office block is being built.

As The North One has already said, Monroe Block is being built in two phases. The Hudson project is being built as one single phase. No one has ever mentioned anything anywhere about Hudson being more than one phase. Monroe Block, on the other hand, has been more than one phase since its announcement.

I don't know what more proof you need. These types of forums are pointless if you don't trust other forumers and only believe what you have seen personally.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 2:43 AM
Registered Ugly

That’s just an imaginary caisson.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 12:32 AM

The reason it's taking a while is that it looks like they have to remove portions of the thick concrete mat that was poured for whatever was gonna go there prior. That caisson in the corner is likely a test caisson so they can verify the caisson specs (o-cell).
Heres a pic I took on 12/30--

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 7:23 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I don't know how many more times we're going to have to post this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Here's the approximate timeline for the project:
  • end of 2017-spring 2018: demolition, earth retention, temporary electrical installation
  • summer/fall 2018: demolition of some of the underground garage foundation
  • fall 2018: building tower foundations
  • spring 2019: parking deck foundations and structure
  • spring 2019: building the tower structure
  • summer 2019: building the block structure
  • fall 2019: mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection system installation
  • fall 2019: site utilities
  • fall/winter 2020: enclosure of the block and tower
  • winter 2020: elevator and escalator installation
  • spring 2021: building interiors and finishes
  • summer 2022: final site work

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...e-construction
The tower is actually rising first by a few months. This isn't about what anyone believes or how anyone feels. Until they announce otherwise, this is and has been the schedule.

Currently, they are simultaneously doing corrective work and utility work for the floor of the tub while also doing obvious foundation drilling.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:02 AM

Is there a 760 foot additional tower in/on this site or did I get something wrong?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Is there a 760 foot additional tower in/on this site or did I get something wrong?
There's only one tower and it's 912 feet as proposed currently. Prior heights were 727 and 734.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction