HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Can you show your work?
I used the tool badrunner brought on post #232. I was careful enough to place it right on San Francisco Downtown and on the place I believe Santiago's Downtown is located.

Not sure why you're incredulous about it. South America is slightly smaller than US+Canada and it's considerably more populated, so it would be expected for the search to return with similar results.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:20 AM

Well if you're going to include air travel in the argument it makes sense to consider actual available flights - number of direct flights to other populated places, international routes, total passenger volume etc, and I'm sure SF is waaaayyy more connected than Santiago in all of those measures. It's not enough that there are X number of people within theoretical driving or flying distance, you have to actually be able to get there. That's what it means to be connected to the world.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:34 AM

The US is wealthier than Chile so it’s only natural for it to have better air connections. Santiago is a very decent airport hub though, handling almost 20 million passengers pre-covid.

In any case, it’s a 7 million people metropolis centre of a rather well populated 12 million people region. I don’t think it qualifies as isolated. Auckland of Honolulu or Perth on the other hand, are surrounded by thousands of kms of oceans/desert.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:41 AM

Yeah it just depends on how you measure isolation or connectedness. I prefer the totally random measure of "number of people within a 12,450 mile radius."

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:47 AM

This back and forth is kind of ironic because Santiago reminds me so much of Los Angeles.

source

source

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Yeah it just depends on how you measure isolation or connectedness. I prefer the totally random measure of "number of people within a 12,450 mile radius."
3,000 km was not “random”. In my first intervention saying Santiago was not isolated, I argued it had 4 megacities in its vicinity. A forumer than said it didn’t mean much to which I replied that there were also several non-megacities inside this radius as well.

Only then I decided to check how many people actually lived inside this radius, which are those 193 million people. Not a negligible number.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
This back and forth is kind of ironic because Santiago reminds me so much of Los Angeles.
Never been there, but Santiago doesn’t appeal to me. The city seems a bit dull, Chileans are rather conservative and strict. Buenos Aires, on the other hand, is an urban mecca.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Never been there, but Santiago doesn’t appeal to me. The city seems a bit dull, Chileans are rather conservative and strict. Buenos Aires, on the other hand, is an urban mecca.
It definitely is dull compared to Buenos Aires or Brazilian cities. It's also way more dull city than L.A. But the visual similarities are pretty obvious.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I used the tool badrunner brought on post #232. I was careful enough to place it right on San Francisco Downtown and on the place I believe Santiago's Downtown is located.

Not sure why you're incredulous about it. South America is slightly smaller than US+Canada and it's considerably more populated, so it would be expected for the search to return with similar results.
Okay, so the goal posts were moved.

At first we used your random 4.5 hour travel time as the metric, and we both listed metros of 1M+ that could be reached within that time from the respective cities. San Francisco's included 40 such metros.

But now I see you've moved to a different metric of a 3,000km radius which happens to drop several of the metros within a 4.5 hour travel time from San Francisco, including Atlanta, New Orleans, Peubla and last but not least, Mexico City.

I extended the radius to 3,500km so as to better include the cities that can be reached within 4.5 hours travel time from San Francisco. Within that radius centered on downtown SF, there are 293.6 million people; within that radius centered on central Santiago reside 224 million people.

Santiago is more isolated than is San Francisco.

Last edited by craigs; Mar 19, 2021 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 3:58 AM

Can someone change the name of this thread to ‘Santiago: Relative to the world’?

This whole thing has a very similar feel to the old city vs city threads from back in the day. Or move the Santiago posts to an independent thread so we can get back to some fun and interesting stuff.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:24 AM
Meh

Calgary, Canada is closer to San Antonio, Texas than it is to Anchorage, Alaska. 2,100 miles versus 2,019 miles. That's driving distance. However, as the crow flies, Calgary is 1,688 miles from San Antonio and 1,530 miles from Anchorage.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:59 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
More interesting facts:

-the pacific ocean is the largest body of water on earth

-A lot of places are kind of near russia and a lot also arent.. but some places are reallyclosetorussia

-you can sail from britain all the way to australia if you want to

-Antarctica is directly south of every single major city on earth

-the sahara desert is so big

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:39 PM
video et taceo

Driving from Malmö to Luleå is the same distance, as the crow flies, as driving from Malmö to Venice.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:29 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
-A lot of places are kind of near russia and a lot also arent.. but some places are reallyclosetorussia
Close enough to see Russia from your house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
-Antarctica is directly south of every single major city on earth
Conversely, the Arctic Ocean is north of every single major city and every major city is directly east and west of itself.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 4:53 PM

Lisbon, Portugal is closer to Portland, Oregon than it is to Mexico City

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 6:13 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I actually know a few people that live on the border of Pennsylvania and Delaware.
The interesting story of why Delaware's border with PA is shaped the way it is and how the Delaware border goes right up to the shoreline on the Jersey side of the Delaware River.

There is actually a very small section of land that is Delaware on what should be New Jersey.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ape/744188002/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 1:03 AM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
The interesting story of why Delaware's border with PA is shaped the way it is and how the Delaware border goes right up to the shoreline on the Jersey side of the Delaware River.

There is actually a very small section of land that is Delaware on what should be New Jersey.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ape/744188002/

^^ The Maryland border begins 15 miles south of South Street is a geographic oddity in itself

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:56 AM

The two highest national capitals in the world are in countries sandwiching a third country -- whose capital is at sea level.

(Quito and La Paz, sandwiching Lima.)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:41 PM

These are addicting.

Rome is closer to anywhere in Canada than it is to anywhere in Mexico.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:45 PM

Just beyond the eastern tip of Long Island New York State borders Rhode Island. Granted the border is entirely over Long Island Sound but most people looking at a map would miss that fact.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions