HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 1:28 PM

^^ That is a bit of a tricky question.

I think technically the airport is federally owned but as with most Canadian airports is setup to operate autonomously, but being in a federally regulated industry with mandatory Covid protocol.

I wonder if they might consider the public spaces as not being Covid screened but mask mandatory? The facility isn't really designed to create pre-entry screening.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 7:24 AM

Dec 18th delta is putting in a second CR9 and then around Jan 5th delta is replacing the overnight cr9 with an a319 overnight
So one airbus and one cr9 a day to msp come Jan

And westjet is bringing back Cancun, Orlando and Regina

Last edited by kattiff; Oct 26, 2021 at 8:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Dec 18th delta is putting in a second CR9 and then around Jan 5th delta is replacing the overnight cr9 with an a319 overnight
So one airbus and one cr9 a day to msp come Jan

And westjet is bringing back Cancun, Orlando and Regina
Delta runs red-eye flights to Winnipeg from Minneapolis?

Why? It can't be more than an hour trip.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Delta runs red-eye flights to Winnipeg from Minneapolis?

Why? It can't be more than an hour trip.
Overnight in that they park at YWG overnight and leave early the next morning.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Overnight in that they park at YWG overnight and leave early the next morning.
Alright, that makes sense.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:44 PM

I think YWG is fairly low-cost for airlines to stage planes at overnight for flights the next morning.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 5:19 PM
What could go wrong?

https://crankyflier.com/2021/11/08/u...medium=twitter

United Abandons Small Cities

This is the biggest news of a busy week. United will end service to 9 small cities and will cancel service on an additional four routes. The cities losing United service entirely are:

Central Wisconsin
College Station (TX)
Columbia (MO)
Evansville (IN)
Kalamazoo (MI)
Killeen (TX)
Lansing (MI)
Monroe (LA)
Winnipeg

Additional routes going away are Manchester (NH) – Washington/Dulles, San Antonio – LA, Northwest Arkansas – SFO, and Wilmington (NC) – Chicago which will be replaced with flights from Newark. There are additional frequency cuts as United scrambles to find enough regional capacity.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 5:39 PM

That is brutal news. YWG becomes closer to being a captive market to AC via YYZ for anyone travelling overseas to Europe/Middle East/Africa. Only the DL connection to MSP will continue to provide some competition to AC and keep them honest with regard to pricing.

I can live with United giving up the DEN route but losing ORD is a real blow and I'm surprised they're axing it considering that there were a few flights a day on that route pre-pandemic.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
That is brutal news. YWG becomes closer to being a captive market to AC via YYZ for anyone travelling overseas to Europe/Middle East/Africa. Only the DL connection to MSP will continue to provide some competition to AC and keep them honest with regard to pricing.

I can live with United giving up the DEN route but losing ORD is a real blow and I'm surprised they're axing it considering that there were a few flights a day on that route pre-pandemic.
The staffing shortages in the US airlines are just killing regional routes.

You'd figure Denver might be the first to go because it's a less international connection based airport than Chicago. ORD is such a close and huge connection point that I'm surprised UA wasn't able to fill a mainline 737 at least once a day. AC must be thrilled.

Alas, Westjet's not even a great candidate to fill that route because they are more closely tied to Delta these days. Had they been still partnered with American, it would have helped feed American's hub in Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 9:59 PM

I think the worst part of losing United is losing connectivity to most of the USA. I have flown numerous times through Chicago and Denver to other US cities. They were much more convenient than flying through Toronto. US Customs at YWG was truly a wonderful experience for which I would pay a premium to use compared to YYZ. And those United flights were always full. I guess our money is no good here...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I think the worst part of losing United is losing connectivity to most of the USA. I have flown numerous times through Chicago and Denver to other US cities. They were much more convenient than flying through Toronto. US Customs at YWG was truly a wonderful experience for which I would pay a premium to use compared to YYZ. And those United flights were always full. I guess our money is no good here...
Chicago is a pretty sweet point for connecting into the US as well, you're quite right. You're not backtracking much even if you have to go west and with ORD being the hub of United and American, it almost certainly has decent connections.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 10:32 PM

I wonder if AA might consider replacing UA as a result?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I wonder if AA might consider replacing UA as a result?
It is a possibility, albeit a slim one. The staffing shortages are pretty widespread and AA has had a couple of meltdowns this summer due to staff shortages.

The good news is that Winnipeg is a relative hop from Chicago and that Winnipeg's airport serves a population that's mostly originating there. That means American doesn't have to rely on feed from a partner airline which it really doesn't have in Canada anymore.

Mostly I'd be looking to Delta if I couldn't find a direct flight to a US destination from Winnipeg. Preclearance at YYZ can be a zoo. Still sucks for those who liked the direct flight to Chicago though.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 12:24 AM

This is a big disappointment. Loved connecting to the US through ORD. Hope we can hang on to MSP.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 2:29 PM

Air Canada holds the rights to the YWG-ORD route. Never know AC could bring it and with their partnership with UA could happen.
And with Delta bringing an Airbus back I don’t think they will disappear

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 2:45 PM

Yeah, DL seems pretty committed to the YWG-MSP route. It's popular with US businesspeople. They kept it going through the depths of the pandemic basically until Transport Canada forced them to stop running it, and they got it going again at the first opportunity.

Having AC run to ORD would certainly be a good replacement for UA, I believe they used to run that route before UA got involved some time ago... maybe it was in the late 90s?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, DL seems pretty committed to the YWG-MSP route. It's popular with US businesspeople. They kept it going through the depths of the pandemic basically until Transport Canada forced them to stop running it, and they got it going again at the first opportunity.

Having AC run to ORD would certainly be a good replacement for UA, I believe they used to run that route before UA got involved some time ago... maybe it was in the late 90s?
Yea your right, Delta was forced to stop because of the rules not being one of the 4 airports at the time. Plus such an easy flight to connecting the world. I always pick MSP over YYZ

Anyway I believe your also right with AC running the route before they actually brought in UA to do it. I think if AC was smart they would see a business opportunity at least with ORD to run a flight with a first class. UA was tough as they only had the 50 seats while Delta was putting mainline in. So if AC can put a good product like CR9 or E175 it would work for them I believe

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Air Canada holds the rights to the YWG-ORD route. Never know AC could bring it and with their partnership with UA could happen.
And with Delta bringing an Airbus back I don’t think they will disappear
Air Canada does not hold the rights to Winnipeg to Chicago as the AC & United Airlines are both codesharing most flights ✈️between Canada & US.

Plus AC is currently more focused on Canada 4 busiest airport hubs in Toronto,Vancouver, Montreal & Calgary for most of it’s Domestic/US/International flights!

Winnipeg - Chicago flights on AC is not likely anytime soon and doubtful at best.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:14 PM

Here is the story from the WFP. The WAA is trying to frame it as a continuation of the suspension of service, with UA continuing to review the market to 2022.

"We have been talking to them about when they would restart and it’s now being pushed out further," he [WAA spokesperson] said. "We were hoping for the spring. We will keep talking and working with them to get them back as soon as they can."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...575710122.html

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
US Customs at YWG was truly a wonderful experience for which I would pay a premium to use compared to YYZ.
US Preclearance at YWG can be both a blessing and a curse depending on your flight time. The biggest issue is the limited passenger processing capacity. If you hit it at the wrong time and don't qualify for expediated clearance (Nexus, etc) you could be in for a bit of wait and that may be worse now with added Covid checks (if applicable).

--

In terms of the loss of UA, it isn't ready to light up service today but the jets Porter has announced it is adding and its plans to add YWG to their service network definitely present an opening for them, perhaps as a transborder partner with UA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan