HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Do you think, besides adding Puerto Ricans to the tally of some of them (obviously NYC, Chicago and Miami, probably not for the rest) would really may a huge difference?
Hard to tell. Perhaps Guam also with the children of US military personnel born there. Perhaps a few other countries or territories with lots of US bases.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 10:30 PM
ride or die

Thanks Docere. The 15,000 threshold seems much more reasonable than a 5,000 one, which is far too low. I would actually prefer 20,000 or even 30,000 because you really need a critical mass of immigrants to experience a truly "self-sufficient" community where a larger spectrum of an immigrant group's culture can more fully manifest.

Your new list also validates my personal observation of Chicago's food scene, an opinion that got me in trouble with a GANG of biased, livid Chicago boosters a little while ago. That while the city boasts top-notch one-a-year (once-a-lifetime for some) haute cuisine, its RELATIVELY low diversity compared with LA or NY limits its EVERY-DAY selection of good ethnic food. This list, while imperfect for the reasons stated before, do a good job of validating my subjective experiences with select metros I have spent time in. Washington Post food writer Tom Sietsema seems to agree. Due to LA's demographic strengths, more than almost any other metro in the country, local restauranteurs don't need to simplify their food for anyone.

In another point of mine validated by this higher threshold of yours, Ive always stated that Toronto's UN diversity boasts are dubious being that they are probably based on communities that are too small to amount to anything perceptible in real-life (eg. 5,000 people) and it looks like I was right. After increasing the cut-off to 15,000, Toronto drops from boasting 70 groups to below Los Angeles at 28 in the number of Census-derived groups. My bet is that increasing the threshold further (to 20,000, 30,000, 50,000, 100,000) will re-shuffle the rankings dramatically among the top tier cities (London, NY, Paris, LA, Toronto) and in particular, widen Toronto's gap even further relative to the top tier. It is NOWHERE NEAR being the most diverse city in the world as it is a clear step below London, NY, Paris, LA, and who knows what others once you really scrutinize the data.

But in the end diversity is an unscientific thing to measure, because ethnic groupings are an unscientific thing to classify. You will never find a perfectly scientific way to measure indiscrete things like cultural affinity.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 10:59 PM

Chicago really isn't that diverse: its black population is about 98% African American and its Hispanic population is about 80% Mexican. Its Asian population is pretty small. It does have a notably large Polish population. Overall, it's not in the same league as Toronto and L.A.

Toronto claimed this "UN study" BS as far back as the late 80s - but no such study exists. I think Toronto and L.A. are pretty similar when it comes to diversity overall, I don't see how L.A. is "a clear step" ahead.

If we use the 30,000 threshold - this is a very quick count - Toronto has 20 countries represented (Americas 4, Europe 7 and Asia 9) and L.A. 19 (Americas 8, Europe 1 and Asia 10). Basically in the same ballpark.

Last edited by Docere; Dec 30, 2015 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 11:14 PM

30,000 threshold for selected North American cities:

New York 35 (Europe: 9, Africa: 3, Asia: 9, Americas: 14)
Toronto 20 (Europe: 7, Asia: 9, Americas: 4)
Los Angeles 19 (Europe: 1, Asia: 10, Americas: 8)
Miami 14 (all in the Americas)
Washington 12 (Africa: 1, Asia: 5, America: 6)
Bay Area 10 (Europe: 1, Asia: 6, Americas: 3)
Montreal 7 (Europe: 2, Africa: 2, Asia: 2, Americas: 1)
Vancouver 7 (Europe: 1, Asia: 5, Americas: 1)
Chicago 6 (Europe: 1, Asia: 4, Americas: 1)
Boston 5 (Asia: 2, Americas: 3)

ETA: Added 1 country (Honduras) to the Miami total.

Last edited by Docere; Dec 31, 2015 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 12:19 AM
ride or die

Quote:
Chicago really isn't that diverse: its black population is about 98% African American and its Hispanic population is about 80% Mexican. Its Asian population is pretty small. It does have a notably large Polish population. Overall, it's not in the same league as Toronto and L.A.

Toronto claimed this "UN study" BS as far back as the late 80s - but no such study exists. I think Toronto and L.A. are pretty similar when it comes to diversity overall, I don't see how L.A. is "a clear step" ahead.

If we use the 30,000 threshold - this is a very quick count - Toronto has 20 countries represented (Americas 4, Europe 7 and Asia 9) and L.A. 19 (Americas 8, Europe 1 and Asia 10). Basically in the same ballpark.
Maybe 30,000 wasn't large enough of a grouping to test my theory about Toronto being a "clear step" below the top tier. Although I am a little dubious about LA's having a single European grouping above 30,000 (wonder which that is? And what criteria are being used?)

I'm curious how even larger numbers like 50,000, 75,000, or 100,000 would look (even such large numbers are IMO a minimal number required to sustain a certain quality of "self-sufficiency", as in my own experience metros which tout even 50,000 for a given group I find to be lacking when looking at qualitative things like food, markets, or cultural institutions)

Regarding Chicago: I am also again validated by this data when recalling how I've always felt the city to be relatively lacking in international diversity, with a heavy reliance on business ties for global connectedness claims, a connectedness which is "dry" and limited in its contribution to the daily life of the residents. Outside of the cubicle, there is a distinct lack of the sort of global connectedness that is immediately tangible in daily life in a Toronto or an LA. Surprising considering its size as an American metro.

I won't of course ask you to do a list for all these thresholds, but yours is so far the finest attempted accounting of minimally comparable diversity numbers I've seen yet done between metros.

Last edited by Bikemike; Dec 31, 2015 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 1:13 AM

Quote:
I ended up doing some US metros with the 15,000 threshold.

New York: 52

Europe: 13 (Italy, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, UK, Germany, Portugal, Greece, Ireland, France, Albania, Spain, Belarus)

Africa: 3 (Egypt, Ghana, Nigeria)

Asia: 13 (China, India, Philippines, Korea, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Taiwan, Israel, Japan, Vietnam, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Iran)

Americas: 23 (Dominican Republic, Mexico, Jamaica, Ecuador, Guyana, Colombia, Haiti, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, Peru, Guatemala, Honduras, Cuba, Brazil, Canada, Argentina, Barbados, Grenada, Panama, Costa Rica, Venezuela, St. Vincent and the Grenadines)
I've reviewed these figures for New York MSA.

So first of all, there aren't 52 countries with more than 15,000 "foreign-born" residents of the New York MSA born there, but 53. For some reason you forgot Chile.

Then of course we should add Puerto Rico, so that's 54 countries and overseas territories with more than 15,000 in New York MSA.

In parenthesis, the 5 largest communities of people born outside the US living in the New York MSA are the following:
- Dominican Republic: 571,931
- China (incl. HK): 434,167
- Puerto Rico: 339,656
- Mexico: 331,605
- India: 323,708

Puerto Rico is #3.

About the other US overseas territories (Guam, US Virgin Islands, etc.), in total there are 11,822 people born there who live in the New York MSA, so none of them can make it in the list with a 15,000 threshold.

About the other countries, what's annoying is the ACS doesn't detail all the countries. For a very populated metro area like New York that means some countries may hide in the "other" categories.

The "other Eastern Europe" category contains 35,133 people. After doing some research, I found out that the Census bureau apparently extracted "Serbia" from "Yugoslavia" recently, and downgraded "Yugoslavia" in the "other Eastern Europe" category. It's possible that a lot of these 35,133 people are in fact natives of Serbia but still listed as natives of "Yugoslavia". Indeed the number for Serbia (4,870) looks quite low. The only other possible countries in the "other Eastern Europe" category are Kosovo, Montenegro, Slovenia, and Estonia.

So potentially that's one more country there for New York MSA if more than 15,000 people are from Serbia.

Then there is the "other Western Asia" category with 18,833 people. I count the following countries in this category: Azerbaijan, Georgia, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, UAE, Palestinian territories, and possibly also Cyprus. That's probably too many countries for one to have more than 15,000 natives, unless it's say 15,001 people from the Palestinian territories, and the remaining 3,832 from the other countries. Not the most likely scenario, but who knows.

Then there is the "other Western Africa" category with 28,689 people. Here this category includes some important countries of origin of immigrants in the New York area, like Guinea. There is a growing Guinean community in NYC, yet the Census bureau has still not detailed Guinea from the "other" category. In general, I find there is a very Anglocentric approach to Africa by the US census bureau. It's essentially Anglophone African countries which are listed separately, and the Francophone African countries tend to be ignored. Problem is, there is a fast growing Francophone African community in NYC.

So not only Guinea is missing, but in fact all the Francophone West African countries, like Senegal and Mali. It's impossible to say whether any of them crosses the 15,000 threshold, but Guinea might. So that would be one more country for the New York MSA.

Then there is the "other Caribbean" category with 33,840 people, and the "West Indies" category with 13,915 people. In total 47,755 who could come from the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, St Kits and Nevis, and St Lucia, and possibly also from the following non-sovereign territories: Anguilla, Aruba, Caiman Islands, Curaçao, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Montserrat, St Martin, Sint Maarten, Turks and Caicos, and British Virgin Islands.

Possibly that could add one or two more territories/countries to the New York tally, unless some people from reported countries like Trinidad and Tobago or Dominica wrote "West Indies" or some obscure reference in the forms which placed them in the "other" category.

In total, the tally for the New York MSA could be from 54 to 58.

Then there are the countries which are just short of the 15,000 threshold, but which could cross the threshold if children of US citizens born in these countries were included, like Hungary (14,725), Uruguay (13,307), Nicaragua (13,121). I think Hungary would most likely cross the threshold if the children of US citizens were included. For the other two it's hard to guess.

So there.

Number of countries and overseas territories with more than 15,000 residents who were born there:

New York MSA: 55 to 59 (55 for sure, and perhaps up to 59), of which:
- Europe: 15 to 16 (Italy, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, UK, Germany, Portugal, Greece, Éire, France, Romania, Albania, Spain, Belarus, Hungary, in that order, and perhaps also Serbia)
- Africa: 3 to 4 (Egypt, Ghana, Nigeria, and perhaps also Guinea or Senegal)
- Asia: 13 (China, India, Philippines, Korea, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Taiwan, Israel, Japan, Vietnam, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Iran, in that order)
- Americas: 24 to 26 (Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Jamaica, Ecuador, Guyana, Colombia, Haiti, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, Peru, Guatemala, Honduras, Cuba, Brazil, Canada, Argentina, Barbados, Panama, Grenada, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Chile, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, in that order, and perhaps also one or two other Caribbean countries/territories, or Uruguay, or Nicaragua)

London metro area: 50, of which:
- Europe: 18 (Poland, Éire, France, Italy, Germany, Romania, Portugal, Cyprus, Lithuania, Spain, Bulgaria, Kosovo, Netherlands, Hungary, Russia, Greece, Sweden, Slovakia, in that order)
- Africa: 11 (Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Somalia, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Tanzania, Sierra Leone, Algeria, in that order)
- Asia: 14 (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, China, Turkey, Philippines, Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Malaysia, Japan, Nepal, Vietnam, in that order)
- Americas: 5 (Jamaica, USA, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, in that order)
- Oceania: 2 (Australia, New Zealand, in that order)

Paris Region: 36, of which:
- Europe: 10 (Portugal, Italy, Spain, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Germany, UK, Russia, Belgium, in that order)
- Africa: 13 (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Mali, Côte d'Ivoire, Senegal, Congo-Kinshasa, Cameroon, Congo-Brazzaville, La Réunion, Mauritius, Madagascar, Egypt, in that order)
- Asia: 9 (Turkey, China, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Lebanon, Pakistan, Laos, in that order)
- Americas: 4 (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Haiti, USA, in that order)
- Oceania: 0

Toronto CMA: 28, of which:
- Europe: 9 (UK, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Greece, Germany, Romania, in that order)
- Africa: 2 (Egypt, Nigeria, in that order)
- Asia: 12 (China, India, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Iran, Vietnam, South Korea, Bangladesh, Iraq, Afghanistan, Taiwan, in that order)
- Americas: 5 (Jamaica, Guyana, USA, Trinidad and Tobago, Colombia, in that order)

Montréal CMA: 16, of which:
- Europe: 5 (France, Italy, Romania, Greece, Portugal, in that order)
- Africa: 3 (Morocco, Algeria, Egypt, in that order)
- Asia: 5 (China, Lebanon, Vietnam, Philippines, India, in that order)
- Americas: 3 (Haiti, USA, Mexico, in that order)

Vancouver CMA: 11, of which:
- Europe: 2 (UK, Germany, in that order)
- Africa: 0
- Asia: 7 (China, India, Philippines, Taiwan, South Korea, Iran, Vietnam, in that order)
- Americas: 1 (USA)
- Oceania: 1 (Fiji)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 1:22 AM

Very quickly, I get 12 countries for L.A. and 13 for Toronto. It seems they're pretty consistently in the same "tier."

Toronto has a stronger European, Caribbean and South Asian presence, Los Angeles obviously has much stronger representation from the Spanish-speaking Americas but also has some other notable groups such as Thais, Cambodians and Armenians.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 1:25 AM
ride or die

Quote:
Very quickly, I get 12 countries for L.A. and 13 for Toronto. It seems they're pretty consistently in the same "tier."

Toronto has a stronger European, Caribbean and South Asian presence, Los Angeles obviously has much stronger representation from the Spanish-speaking Americas but also has some other notable groups such as Thais, Cambodians and Armenians.
At 50,000 or 100,000? I wonder what is being classified under European. I get the feeling from New Brisavoine's post that the ACS isn't as refined as its Canadian counterpart in accounting for as many groups as possible

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
At 50,000 or 100,000? I wonder what is being classified under European. I get the feeling from New Brisavoine's post that the ACS isn't as refined as its Canadian counterpart in accounting for as many groups as possible
Yes, that is at 50,000.

StatsCan does a much better job than the US Census Bureau IMO, even with Harper's tampering with the agency.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 1:50 AM

I think the limitations of the ACS are less of a problem with the 30,000 threshold.

For New York, I have 35 countries with 30,000, if you add in the Puerto Rican-born and assume those from Argentina (29,769), Barbados (29,157) and France (28,003) cross the threshold that takes you to 39. Or maybe peg it to an even 40 as a ballpark figure, that seems reasonable.

Last edited by Docere; Dec 31, 2015 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:12 AM

Quote:
30,000 threshold for selected North American cities:

New York 35 (Europe: 9, Africa: 3, Asia: 9, Americas: 14)
Toronto 20 (Europe: 7, Asia: 9, Americas: 4)
Los Angeles 19 (Europe: 1, Asia: 10, Americas: 8)
Miami 14 (all in the Americas)
Washington 12 (Africa: 1, Asia: 5, America: 6)
Bay Area 10 (Europe: 1, Asia: 6, Americas: 3)
Montreal 7 (Europe: 2, Africa: 2, Asia: 2, Americas: 1)
Vancouver 7 (Europe: 1, Asia: 5, Americas: 1)
Chicago 6 (Europe: 1, Asia: 4, Americas: 1)
Boston 5 (Asia: 2, Americas: 3)

ETA: Added 1 country (Honduras) to the Miami total.
For New York again we have some problems. In the Americas you forgot Puerto Rico and another country which I can't guess. So it's 16 for New York in the Americas. Then there is Argentina (29,769) and Barbados (29,157) which are very near the threshold, and would most likely cross it if children of US citizens born in these countries/territories were included. So more like 18 in the Americas for New York.

I agree with your count of 9 for Europe, unless France (28,003) crosses the threshold if children of US citizens born in France are included, in which case that would be 10. Are there 2,000 of them in the New York area? Not impossible, but difficult to be sure about it. There is also Serbia which could cross the 30,000 threshold if enough of the people in the "other Eastern Europe" category are in fact from Serbia.

3 for Africa, ok. 9 for Asia, ok, but Vietnam (27,784) could cross the threshold if the children of US citizens born there are included.

So then in total we get this with the 30,000 threshold:

New York MSA: 39 to 42, of which:
- Europe: 9 to 11 (Italy, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, UK, Germany, Portugal, Greece, Éire, and possibly also France and Serbia)
- Africa: 3 (Egypt, Ghana, Nigeria)
- Asia: 9 to 10 (China, India, Philippines, South Korea, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Taiwan, Israel, Japan, and possibly also Vietnam)
- Americas: 18 ( Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Jamaica, Ecuador, Guyana, Colombia, Haiti, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, Peru, Guatemala, Honduras, Cuba, Brazil, Canada, Argentina, Barbados)

And for London, Paris, and Canadian CMAs:

London metro area: 31, of which:
- Europe: 10 (Poland, Éire, France, Italy, Germany, Romania, Portugal, Cyprus, Lithuania, Spain)
- Africa: 6 (Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Somalia, Uganda)
- Asia: 10 (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, China, Turkey, Philippines, Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq)
- Americas: 3 (Jamaica, USA, Brazil)
- Oceania: 2 (Australia, New Zealand)

For Paris we have the same problem as with New York. French data do not include the children of French citizens born abroad. At a 15,000 threshold for some reason it didn't create much problems, but at a 30,000 threshold it creates a problem for India (24,318 Indian immigrants in the Paris Region) and for Germany (22,880 German immigrants in the Paris Region). The numerous children of French military personnel born in Germany (such as former president Valéry Giscard-d'Estaing, born in Coblence/Koblenz in 1926 and currently living in the 16th arrondissement of Paris) may push Germany above the 30,000 threshold.

As for India, here one needs to know that the former inhabitants of the French territories in India were granted automatically French citizenship from birth, and may therefore not be counted as "immigrant" in the French census. That concerns in particular the Tamil community from French Pondichéry, of which many have migrated to France after France ceded this territory to India (note that many residents of Pondichéry today are still French citizens and so if they have children born in India, these children are automatically French citizens, and if they move to France they wouldn't appear in the French statistics as Indian immigrants). So India may well be above the 30,000 threshold.

Paris Region: 23 to 25, of which:
- Europe: 5 to 6 (Portugal, Italy, Spain, Poland, Romania, and possibly also Germany)
- Africa: 10 (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Mali, Côte d'Ivoire, Senegal, Congo-Kinshasa, Cameroon, Congo-Brazzaville, La Réunion)
- Asia: 5 to 6 (Turkey, China, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Cambodia, and possibly also India)
- Americas: 3 (Guadeloupe, Martinique, and Haiti)

Toronto CMA: 19, of which:
- Europe: 7 (UK, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Greece)
- Asia: 8 (China, India, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Iran, Vietnam, South Korea)
- Americas: 4 (Jamaica, Guyana, USA, Trinidad and Tobago)

Montréal CMA: 7, of which:
- Europe: 2 (France, Italy)
- Africa: 2 (Morocco, Algeria)
- Asia: 2 (China, Lebanon)
- Americas: 1 (Haiti)

Vancouver CMA: 7, of which:
- Europe: 1 (UK)
- Asia: 5 (China, India, Philippines, Taiwan, South Korea)
- Americas: 1 (USA)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:30 AM

Well, I totally see why you suggested someone else first comb through the ACS data.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:33 AM
ride or die

Quote:
Yes, that is at 50,000.

StatsCan does a much better job than the US Census Bureau IMO, even with Harper's tampering with the agency.
Which is again why comparisons between countries should be taken with an asterisk. But the numbers you've come up with are good for a gross comparison IMO.

Again, to use an example, China alone can be split into three or four different categories alone. The differences between languages and cultures within China are at least as striking as the cultural differences between European nations. It would be like having a single monolithic "Soviet" checkbox if the USSR were still together. The coarseness of that level of resolution is almost inexcusable.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:38 AM

Here is a summary, with the various thresholds:

5,000 >> 15,000 >> 30,000:
- New York MSA: between 90 and 100 >> 55 to 59 >> 39 to 42
- London metro area: 87 >> 50 >> 31
- Paris Region: ??? >> 36 >> 23 to 25
- Toronto CMA: 69 >> 28 >> 19
- Montréal CMA: 42 >> 16 >> 7
- Vancouver CMA: 23 >> 11 >> 7

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:41 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

According to the most recent estimate by the US Census, State of Residence by Place of Birth Table (a one year sample) 2014...there were the following amount of people born in the following US Territories living in the 50 US States & DC:

Puerto Rico: 1,638,455
Guam: 89,279
U.S. Virgin Islands: 69,123
American Samoa: 31,464
Northern Mariana Islands: 12,013
Other U.S. Island areas: 710

*Unfortunately it doesn't break it down by MSA (excluding Puerto Rico in the ACS).

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:50 AM

So I must have added 1 extra for Toronto at 30,000, so it's 19. So same as L.A., unless it has have 30,000+ born in Puerto Rico and/or Guam (which I doubt). Nor do I think there are 3,171 American citizens born in Thailand or 6,407 American citizens born in Germany.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Here is a summary, with the various thresholds:

5,000 >> 15,000 >> 30,000:
- New York MSA: between 90 and 100 >> 55 to 59 >> 39 to 42
- London metro area: 87 >> 50 >> 31
- Paris Region: ??? >> 36 >> 23 to 25
- Toronto CMA: 69 >> 28 >> 19
- Montréal CMA: 42 >> 16 >> 7
- Vancouver CMA: 23 >> 11 >> 7
Looking back at the figures from Docere, Chicago seems at the same level as Montréal, and LA at the same level as Toronto (or perhaps slightly ahead of Toronto if Riverside-San Bernardino MSA is added to the Los Angeles MSA). SF Bay Area is surprisingly low considering its large number of people born abroad (but apparently they come from a limited number of Asian countries), barely above Montréal in terms of the array of countries.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:54 AM

Quote:
So I must have added 1 extra for Toronto at 30,000, so it's 19. So same as L.A., unless it has have 30,000+ born in Puerto Rico and/or Guam (which I doubt).
You counted China and Hong Kong separately.

For LA, your figures are only for Los Angeles MSA? No Riverside-San Bernardino? In my opinion Riverside-San Bernardino should be added, as it's frankly the same urban area as LA, just like SF Bay Area is really one single urban and metro area.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 3:12 AM
ride or die

And of course remember that these lists are for those immigrants who were born in listed countries. This discounts cities which have served longer as bastions of immigration and have second generation ethnic groups from prior waves, religious affiliations (namely Jews), and other important contributors to diversity. Of course this thread deals solely with the foreign born, but it needs to be noted for this reason this isn't the final verdict on diversity.

In addition to Jews (which number into the hundreds of thousands in LA, apparently the ACS doesn't include Ethiopians, which I thought factored to many more than 30,000 individuals in metro Los Angeles. I've seen various numbers put forth at just shy of 100,000. But I see that only Egyptians were counted in the ACS?

Last edited by Bikemike; Dec 31, 2015 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 3:20 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
You counted China and Hong Kong separately.

For LA, your figures are only for Los Angeles MSA? No Riverside-San Bernardino? In my opinion Riverside-San Bernardino should be added, as it's frankly the same urban area as LA, just like SF Bay Area is really one single urban and metro area.
Hamilton and Oshawa are the same urban area as Toronto, the three CMA's are contiguous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions