HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 11:51 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

What Makes a Great City Flag: Redesign Your City Flag

This is the definitive pamphlet in the Northern American Vexillological Association on how to judge a good flag from a bad flag. It has the guidelines to follow for designing a good flag.

http://www.ausflag.com.au/assets/ima...g-Bad-Flag.pdf

These are probably the most relevant excerpts:

And here is an 18 min TED talk going over the same things:

Video Link

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Dec 8, 2015 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 1:53 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

This is Salt Lake City's current flag. It's about 10 years old. It is a bad flag:

In many cities you have what are called kitchen sink flags where it's too democratic and no one can say no to any ideas and you end up with a clusterfuck like Milwaukee's city flag. You also have SOBs or Seals On a Bedsheet which are also bad because you can't make sense of it from afar (seals are meant for reading on paper). And in other cases you have a chamber of commerce that takes control and usually tries to way too hard to brand the city.

Salt Lake City's current flag looks like a victim of the Chamber of Commerce.
A chamber of commerce is supposed to care about the image and tourism of the city as one of their main duties. What our chamber of commerce doesn't seem to understand with designing a flag is that it isn't about establishing a brand that is rigidly clear with lettering or city skyline silhouettes, a good flag has a core idea that is open source to everyone. You make it free for people to use your flag so they can make the merchandise that people want to buy. You make your design meaningful but vague enough that coffee shops or t shirt stands can play on your design. Tourists come and buy this stuff and take it home and people start talking about your city. You let the people create the buzz. If the only places flying the city flag are city, school and municipal buildings, we haven't gotten it right!

My Process for a New Salt Lake City Flag

The first thing I did was ditch the chamber of commerce looking flag and tried starting from scratch. I looked at these beautiful views of our amazing sunsets and mountains really trying to think of the colors for the flag and I ended up in a really unsatisfactory place. If I focused on the sunset and pulling out all the colors I ended up with some version that was too close to the Arizona flag. If I focused too much on the mountains it was like Colorado's fixation with mountains in their state license plate and the Denver flag. I spent half my time struggling with color until I just gave up and moved on to the symbol.

A lot of people like upward facing pentagrams, especially in Texas and the South West United States. We're not Texas and on the list of Masonic and Mormon symbols we're fixated on, the upward and inverted facing pentagrams aren't really high on the list. I'm sure some of you know our most famous symbol, the beehive. It was put forward by a Free Mason early on in the community and it was quickly adopted as the favorite symbol. But Unlike an upward facing pentagram or the six pointed hexagram, it doesn’t translate well into flags; it requires too much detail to distinguish it from a bell and it’s way too complicated for me to draw by hand let alone a child. I instead opted for a Masonic Mormon symbol that is used often in religious and civic buildings, but less recognized. The Squared Circle (not to be confused with wrestling though, arguably, it is also a place where heaven touches earth ).

The Squared Circle is Masonic and Mormon. You draw the Square using a Square Ruler and you draw the Circle using a Compass and together both instruments look like this. The Squared Circle as a symbol means many things, but the primary meaning for Mormons is the union of heaven and earth. The Square represents mankind or the structures built by mankind and the circle inside represents God or the presence of God. You can find these symbols all over the Salt Lake City Temple because it’s supposed to be a place, fashioned after the Temple of Solomon, where God could dwell and speak to the Prophet.

The Squared Circle is also a great representation for Salt Lake City because the city was a project by Brigham Young to plat out a city where heaven and earth touched. A kind of utopia (Zion) for the Mormons. Brigham Young took your traditional Midwest city plat for a place like Chicago and made it more intense and as deliberate in its alignment as Washington DC. The Temple is at the center of the City and from there all the streets are named after how many blocks they are located away from the Temple in each direction. One block East of the Temple is 100 East and three blocks North of the Temple is 300 North. Equinoxes line up the sun with the streets and seven blocks in one direction makes a mile. The outcome of creating blocks so big where seven blocks make a mile gave us city blocks that can fit nine Portland blocks inside! They are just massive blocks. The streets are also incredibly wide. They were made wide enough that you could turn around a team of four oxen pulling a covered wagon.

This unique platting of Salt Lake City is the thing that most people visiting remember. It’s the center of the City’s challenges for urban planners. One thing an urban planning professor said to our class was “You usually only get one chance to plat a city; buildings come and go, but streets are forever!” And so, we must deal with and attempt to thrive in this strange and wonderful town platted by Mormons.

I think the Squared Circle really works well because it conveys this unique feature of Salt Lake City with its mythical platting and because it is, in itself, a perfect symbol in resemblance to a city block. It's also just a really benign symbol that isn't overtly religious that seems to fit into the same category as a pentagram.

I decided I wanted to use 7 of Squared Circles in a row and moved back to figuring out the colors for the flag. I played with many different combinations and started to feel good about some. After a while I did some more digging and actually found an older flag for Salt Lake City and ended up really liking the colors. So, for the colors on the new flag, I used the international orange ish color for the sunset and dark grey blue color of the Great Salt Lake and the mountains at sunset.

As my own personal preference, I really like the Chicago flag for a city flag because it’s very clean, calm, and easy to modify and riff on. It’s a good bride’s maid to the state flag. That’s what I wanted for Salt Lake City. I made my third main color white and made it very abundant. I decided to make my Squared Circles white in contrast against the dark grey blue except for one yellow/gold Squared Circle in the center. It symbolizes three main things. 1. Seven is a perfect number and seven blocks make a mile, gold is a perfect metal. 2. The gold Squared Circle in the middle with three equidistant on both sides reflects the nature of how our blocks are numbered being centered on Temple Square. 3. The gold Squared Circle is Salt Lake City as the center where each settlement grew out of in Utah along the Wasatch Front; it is the capital city of Utah. And the gaps between may as well represent how wide our streets are .

The New Salt Lake City Flag

New Flag Design for Salt Lake City (PNG) by S. P. Hansen, on Flickr

Salt Lake City New Flag Second Draft (PNG) by S. P. Hansen, on Flickr

I want this to be something simple but symbolic that people could take apart and turn into theirs. You can use at that white space to color on. You could even strip out the international ish orange horizontal stripes and put the LGBTQ Flag behind it. Interestingly enough, the LGBTQ Flag is easily the most popular flag flown by individual residences in Salt Lake City. We have a great big gay community and lots of allies here, but I also believe it's partially because we have an absence of a banner that brings us together like the LGBTQ Flag. I think it speaks to a need for a better city flag.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Dec 8, 2015 at 11:18 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:01 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Chicago's city flag is perfect as is. It needs no redesign.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 8, 2015 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:10 AM
Of Heart's Delight

I used to mix up Chicago and DC, 'til I started seeing both at their respective teams' soccer matches. Both quality by these criteria.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Chicago's city flag is perfect as is. It needs no redesign.
was just about to post almost the exact same thing. scrolled down first, though, as i figured another chicagoan would point that out.

one disagreement with the article is the colorado flag. it looks (extremely) dated, although i get the appeal, especially now: it's like once-ugly baseball uniforms of the 80's (white sox, astros, angels) are cool again.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 1:42 PM
BANNED

The municipal flag of Chicago has already been redesigned. Twice. Its third design is perfect.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:15 PM

I remember seeing that TedX talk a while back (highly recommended viewing) and yes, Chicago has a great flag. But I also agree that Amsterdam has a great flag as well!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:31 PM

City of Miami flag fails because it uses seal. Just replace the seal with a bigger Royal Palm. End of story.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:01 PM

^^ Wow, I thought that was the Indian flag at first:

From: http://www.wyff4.com/image/view/-/92...a-Flag-jpg.jpg

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
City of Miami flag fails because it uses seal. Just replace the seal with a bigger Royal Palm. End of story.

Miami, India.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I like the symbolism in Montreal's flag. quite widely flown in the city.

Wikipedia

The four floral emblems represent the four main European ethnic groups that were settled in the city in the 19th century (clockwise these are: French, English, Scots, Irish)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I like the symbolism in Montreal's flag. quite widely flown in the city.

The four floral emblems represent the four main European ethnic groups that were settled in the city in the 19th century (clockwise these are: French, English, Scots, Irish)
it just doesn't look right. either the colors clash or the images in each quadrant can be drawn better or both.

somehow i got montreal's and st. louis' flags mixed up. i do like st. louis':

wikipedia

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:38 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j korzeniowski View Post
it just doesn't look right. either the colors clash or the images in each quadrant can be drawn better or both.

somehow i got montreal's and st. louis' flags mixed up. i do like st. louis':

wikipedia
That's the Fleur-de-lis

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur-de-lis

It is the main French symbol that was used in most French colonies. It's like the Union Jack was for the old British Common Wealth Colonies. If any city in North America should use that Symbol, it is Montreal!

The Montreal Flag is kind of like the California Flag, it breaks rules but it's nice. The black lines probably aren't needed.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
That's the Fleur-de-lis

It is the main French symbol that was used in most French colonies. It's like the Union Jack was for the old British Common Wealth Colonies. If any city in North America should use that Symbol, it is Montreal!

The Montreal Flag is kind of like the California Flag, it breaks rules but it's nice. The black lines probably aren't needed.
Montreal is clearly the most French still, but American cities, like St. Louis and New Orleans, that use it do so due to their French roots.

As for St. Louis, you'll see the symbol throughout the city. It's also used in association with St. Louis University.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 9:32 PM

Chicago's flag is so good that it excites me and gives me civic pride for a city that I have never even lived in.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 11:27 PM
All man. Half nuts.

what, no love for the most awesome city flag of all time?

Pocatello has it all! multiple fonts, colors, and they even put the trademark AND copyright IN THE DESIGN!!!

i think those vertical red lines really make the difference. they're, like, racing stripes, or something.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:54 AM
YIMBY co-founder

The City of Stockholm does use its coat of arms as the flag. It still works fine since the whole field is the color of the coat of arms background and the symbol is simple:

source

The other levels of government also have pretty good flags:

source
EU, Sweden, Stockholm's County
The county flag is rare, pretty much only used outside the County offices. It's a mashup of the coats of arms for the province of Uppland (which has the northern half of the county), the province of Södermanland (which has the southern half of the county) and the City itself. The province boundary cuts between the Old Town and the Southside (and both provinces also have their own counties that have most of their respective provinces in them).

So....
No, I wouldn't re-design any of them.
The OP suggestion for a new Salt Lake City flag does look good, tho I'd personally make the colors far stronger. Don't want it looking old and washed out from the start.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
That's the Fleur-de-lis
ummm, yeah, i know that.

i like st. louis' placement of it with the simple representations of the mississippi and missouri (and illinois?) rivers.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:01 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by j korzeniowski View Post
ummm, yeah, i know that.

i like st. louis' placement of it with the simple representations of the mississippi and missouri (and illinois?) rivers.
Just the Mississippi and Missouri. I think the geometry on the flag is an east-west flip of the actual topography.

Image Source

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How about a flag featuring the profile of a clay bust of Lionel Ritchie?

That you should see!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions