HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 6:36 PM

I can't remember if I remembered to mail back my Census form or not. I know I filled it out. Oh well...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Hardly.
Just off the top of my head I can point you to several brand new and completely vacant structures that have sat empty for nearly 3 years. This is just a lot of bloviating out of city hall. They know better than anyone that New York went through a building blitz that the market hasn't absorbed, just like Chicago and Miami. And they know that a lot of those brand new buildings sit empty, especially in Brooklyn and Queens. So when they try to argue that the city must be larger because there are more housing units... The argument just rings extremely hollow.

Then balance that much with all of the working and middle class people who are being priced out of neighborhoods that were long time working/middle class enclaves and this is really no big surprise.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 6:58 PM
The City

Reality is, I think cities like New York, Chicago, etc were severely undercounted.

There is no way in hell that 100% of people returned their census forms. Do you really think that Hispanics who don't know English, or a lot of black people who don't trust the Government really took the time to fill out this form and send it back? Methinks not.

And even if they did send it back, do you really think they reported honestly? I'm willing to bet that household sizes were undercounted in minority communities. Hispanic households, especially.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 7:06 PM

^Damn those untrustworthy and dishonest Hispanics intentionally sabotaging our census results!!!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 7:50 PM
Eurosceptic

Impressive numbers for Syracuse... anyone got numbers for Binghamton, Elmira, Watertown, Plattsburgh, Albany, etc?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 7:53 PM

Albany - 97,856 (+2,198)
Binghamton - 47,376 (-4 !)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Just off the top of my head I can point you to several brand new and completely vacant structures that have sat empty for nearly 3 years. This is just a lot of bloviating out of city hall. They know better than anyone that New York went through a building blitz that the market hasn't absorbed, just like Chicago and Miami.
This is totally wrong.

Check the new building permits data on the Census.

NYC, generally speaking, built new housing in non-yuppie neighborhoods. Manhattan and gentrified outer borough neighborhoods comprised a relatively small proportion of overall housing units constructed since 2000.

This is very different from, say Miami, where housing permits were concentrated in waterfront condo towers and the like, which are a housing typology much more likely to be sitting empty than some non-market rental building in the Bronx.

The issue of fancy condo towers with empty units isn't as prevalent in NYC as in other cities, and the proportion of new housing units consisting of this subset is lower than in other cities.

It's not really that NYC built fewer luxury units (proportionally) than other cities; it's that it built a lot more non-yuppie and subsidized units. And those housing typologies are not sitting empty (below-market housing, by definition, is close to 100% occupied).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:29 PM

The weirdest results were in Queens.

If the Census is to believed, the 7-train corridor in Queens (the busiest train line, by far, in NYC, and the heaviest immigrant corridor) has a massive amount of apartments sitting vacant.

I'm no demographer, but I find it hard to believe that Flushing and Jackson Heights are filled with empty apartments everywhere.

The only possibility would be gentrification, where immigrant families are being replaced by small household sizes, but honestly, when you visit Flushing, do you feel that hipsters are rapidly replacing Asian families?

I obviously have no evidence, but I'm guessing the Census has a problem with immigrant response rates. Does Main Street in Flushing strike you as massively overcrowded, or half-empty?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 10:57 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I think the same thing is going to happen to Philadelphia like what's happening to NYC right now. It's just a matter of time. The places where you've seen declines in population within the city has been in mostly black areas in Philadelphia. Center City, along w/ University City, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill, Northern Liberties, portions of South Philly, and now Fishtown are considered the hot spots in Philly as far as real estate is concerned.

I don't really see gentrification spreading any further to North Philly (other than Templetown, Brewerytown, and Strawberry Mansion), West Philly up to 52nd St, and South Philly up to Washington Ave, especially since condo towers are being built or is being planned to be built (Mandeville???)

As a black man, it's really no surprise why hundreds of thousands of blacks are moving out of places like NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and even Philadelphia. However, as a black man of Trinidadian descent, I can't really understand why many African Americans would simply abandon Northern cities for the South, which is the cheapest place in America. Se of the reasons make sense (family, retirement, slower pace of life, lower quality of life, etc.), but you would think that w/ the amount of political power in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Detroit, that the African American political leaders would do something to stop what might be a black brain drain to cities like Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, and worse, Atlanta. Especially since the North and the West still commands a higher salary in comparison to the South.
*sigh*

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 11:56 PM
The City

Not a single person has posted NYC's metro data yet. 2010 vs 2000?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
There is no way in hell that 100% of people returned their census forms.
No city in any country in the world is going to have everyone counted. As long as they are making an equally consistent effort across the country to count people is what's important.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 2:52 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2011/politic...stands-numbers

Census Bureau Stands By Numbers

By David Freedlander
March 24, 2011

Quote:
Earlier today, in response to census data that shows that New York has about 200,000 less people than originally thought, Sen. Chuck Schumer said, "The Census Bureau has never known how to count urban populations and needs to go back to the drawing board. It strains credulity to believe that New York City has grown by only 167,000 people over the last decade."

Mayor Bloomberg called the numbers "totally incongruous," Brooklyn bp Marty Markowitz said "I know they made big big mistake."

But in a statement, the Census Bureau stands by their numbers, saying that the slow growth they recorded in NYC mirrors that of other regions, where suburban growth outpaced urban growth. They also point out that population growth was down throughout the country, even as participation levels were at a high.

"We reported today early quality indicators that show a stronger Census than in 2000 thanks in part to higher levels of participation by the public than many projected," said Steve Jost, Associate Director for Communications for the Census Bureau "Nationally the growth rate from 2000 was one of the lowest measured in the last century. The pattern in New York City as like that seen in many other large cities — higher rates of growth in suburbs than in urban cores."

When asked if the Census believes that in fact, the borough of Queens only gained little more than a 1,000 people over the last ten years, as the data suggests, a spokesman for the census bureau said, "That's correct."

Seems the City was undercounted as usual, but it could have been worse...

Quote:
New York City has grown by only 167,000 people over the last decade
Lots of cities would take that, particularly in the north where the older cities are losing population in high numbers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:08 AM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

By JOSEPH DE AVILA And SUMATHI REDDY
March 25, 2011

Quote:
New York City's population grew to a high of 8,175,100 over the past decade, according to the U.S. Census count released Tuesday—but the 2.1% bump was still far smaller than officials had anticipated.

A 2009 federal survey of New York and the rest of the nation predicted the Census would reflect a 4.8% jump in the city's population.

Queens, in particular, was a sore point for officials. The Census tally there showed the borough added a paltry 1,300 people.

"The Census says that we have added 166,000-odd people since the 2000 count, but we are concerned that there's been a significant undercount," the mayor said. "When three boroughs go up dramatically, and the two most populous boroughs don't, something is wrong."

...Overall, Brooklyn remained the city's most populous borough, growing by 39,300 people, a 1.6% increase. The Bronx led the city in growth with 52,400 new residents, a jump of 3.9%. Manhattan's population grew by 48,700, a 3.2% increase, and Staten Island added 25,000, a 5.6% jump.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:17 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.citylimits.org/news/artic...ar-in-brooklyn

Census: Whites Decline In Bronx, Asians Soar In Brooklyn

The decennial Census finds that the Bronx grew twice as much as Brooklyn, that blacks fled Manhattan but arrived in Staten Island, and that New York City is smaller than we thought a year ago. But city officials are questioning the figures' accuracy.

By Jarrett Murphy
Mar 24, 2011

Quote:

If early numbers from the U.S. Census Bureau are correct, New York City grew more slowly over the past decade than 16 of the 20 largest cities in the United States. The Bronx grew twice as fast as Brooklyn. And the city somehow added 3,000 more housing units than people to live in them.

The Census Bureau says its decennial count has New York City at 8,175,333--about 167,000 more than in 2000, a change of about 2.1 percent. That growth rate lagged well behind Fort Worth (38.6 percent), Charlotte (35.2 percent) and Austin (20.4 percent). Among the top 20 cities, only Philadelphia (0.6 percent) and Dallas (0.8) grew more slowly than New York. Chicago and Detroit lost population, by 7 and 25 percent, respectively.

But the Bloomberg administration says there's ample reason to believe those numbers are wrong and, as it has done five times over the past eight years, the city will ask the Census to rethink its estimate, pressing for an increase of 225,000.

"A lot of the numbers that the census is about to release seems to go against some of the information we have. For example, the Census Bureau determined that the population of Queens increased by only 1,300 people. Think about that. 1,300 people over ten years," the mayor said today. "I'm not criticizing them, but it doesn't make any sense."

The city was successful in getting Census figures corrected in 2003 (the count grew by 29,000), 2004 (64,000), 2005 (70,000), 2006 (36,000) and 2007 (36,000 again).

The population count is about more than bragging rights--after all, New York would still have a comfortable lead as America's largest city even if Los Angeles cloned itself--because Census population figures affect how much federal aid the city gets.

That's why the Bloomberg administration invested in a big PR push to try to increase participation in last year's count. It was up against anti-Census advocates on the right who saw the survey as a government overreach and on the left who detected racism in certain questions.

To whatever extent the Census Bureau's numbers are accurate, they hint at some fascinating trends. Staten Island was the fastest-growing borough, expanding by 5.6 percent. The Bronx grew by 3.9 percent and Manhattan by 3.2 percent. But super-hot Brooklyn allegedly grew a mere 1.6 percent and Queens barely budged (0.1 percent). The city's white (-2.8 percent) and black (-5.1 percent) populations shrunk, while Hispanics (8.1 percent) increased and Asians (32 percent) soared.

In the boroughs, the racial and ethnic dynamics appear even more dramatic. According to the Census Bureau, the Bronx lost 22 percent of its white population. The number of Asians in Brooklyn jumped 41 percent. The count of Black residents shrunk 12.5 percent in Manhattan but grew 11.6 percent in Staten Island.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:19 AM

Are there any signs that the hollowing out of Buffalo will continue to the point that Rochester becomes the number 2 city in the state? That interests me.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:26 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-01.pdf

Quote:
The New York metro area, with a population of 18.9 million (6.1 percent of the U.S. population), and Los Angeles, with a population of 12.8 million (4.2 percent of the U.S. population), were the two most populous metro areas in the nation. Combined, approximately 1 of every 10 people in the United States lived in either the New York or Los Angeles metro areas in 2010.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:51 AM
BANNED

Do we know the NY CSA population yet?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:06 AM
Eurosceptic

Do we have metro populations for Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Syracuse, Binghamton, Utica, Elmira, Ithaca?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:45 AM

What a bummer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Hey NYguy...I think Bloomberg will certainly challenge this! What do you think? I know for a FACT that more than 1,300 people move into LIC, alone, in the past decade (my sis in-law lives there with her husband and now their two kids). We'v seen the boom in places like LIC, Sunnyside, Regopark, Flushing, Astoria, etc...I think the people that were hired for the census to work in Queens really dropped the ball!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions