HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 9:47 AM

It's been a while since I've been to that part of Italy, but if I went back I'd probably stay up the hill in Ravello in the hopes that it's less overrun with tourists.

Italy and Spain tend to be more overrun than France, because the Spanish and Italians don't have quite as much money to spend (and I guess the weather is more consistent). As a result pretty much the whole southern coast of Spain, at least the Costa Blanca, has been completely destroyed as a place that anyone other than people seeking cheap packaged holidays would ever want to go.

The Amalfi coast and Capri are physically stunning, but are spoiled by accessibility. Capri is hugely overbuilt. If they would get rid of the day trippers by restricting the number of ferries (and raising the prices 10-20x), it would be a much nicer place to visit.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 2:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I was in Ravello this summer, part of a week spent on the Sorrentine Peninsula. My favorite of the 3 big places on the Amalfi Coast (With Positano and Amalfi rounding out....all extraordinarily stunning, but yeah overrun with tourists). Ravello was comparatively sedate....slower-paced but gorgeous and blissful.

We were staying just outside of Vico Equense, on the other side of the Peninsula, down the road from Sorrento.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 2:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I was in Ravello this summer, part of a week spent on the Sorrentine Peninsula. My favorite of the 3 big places on the Amalfi Coast (With Positano and Amalfi rounding out....all extraordinarily stunning, but yeah overrun with tourists). Ravello was comparatively sedate....slower-paced but gorgeous and blissful.

We were staying just outside of Vico Equense, on the other side of the Peninsula, down the road from Sorrento.
That coastal drive is INSANE isn't it? (In more ways than one.)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 2:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Beyond insane. I refused to drive when I was there. Insanely beautiful. Insanely treacherous. Insane hairpin turns. Insane drivers. Insane Italian Tempers. Insane traffic.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:12 PM
Downtowner

North America: San Diego
South America: La Paz
Australia: Sydney
Asia: Bangkok
Europe: Barcelona
Africa: ?

San Francisco, Portland Oregon, New Orleans, London and Cuzco are my other favorites; Oh and I have an extreme love-hate relationship with Los Angeles.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Beyond insane. I refused to drive when I was there. Insanely beautiful. Insanely treacherous. Insane hairpin turns. Insane drivers. Insane Italian Tempers. Insane traffic.
So how did you get around?

The Amalfi coast drive is forever imprinted in my family's vacation lore.

Thank goodness my rental car had an electronic control button to pull in the mirrors. I used it more than once on that road.

At one point I got stuck in a super tight spot in a curve with a bus with the cliff on his side and the abyss and ocean on my side (with only those low stone barriers separating us from disaster). The bus driver and I negotiated each move a few inches at a time for about 10 minutes. Of course, there was a concert of horns and the classic hang gestures you can imagine behind each of us while this was going on.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Barcelona is nice since you can fly there direct from NYC, and head north to the Costa Brava...on our trip we went southwards, I found Sitges to be fine, gays and families so no drunk tourists...
Sitges is a tourist trap, and the gay crowds there can be pretty gross (as in guys having openly sex in the water at the main beach; saw it with my eyes).

The best in the Costa Brava is neither Sitges nor Cadaques, but... (don't know whether I should reveal the secret, oh well)... Calella de Palafrugell.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Italy and Spain tend to be more overrun than France, because the Spanish and Italians don't have quite as much money to spend (and I guess the weather is more consistent). As a result pretty much the whole southern coast of Spain, at least the Costa Blanca, has been completely destroyed as a place that anyone other than people seeking cheap packaged holidays would ever want to go.

The Amalfi coast and Capri are physically stunning, but are spoiled by accessibility. Capri is hugely overbuilt. If they would get rid of the day trippers by restricting the number of ferries (and raising the prices 10-20x), it would be a much nicer place to visit.
In terms of unspoilt and beautiful coast, the big shocker (and revelation) of last summer for me was... the coast of Cotentin.

I went there with a girl from Portland (Oregon) because we wanted to escape the insane heat wave in Paris, and Cotentin is the only fresh place in continental Europe when there is a major heatwave (temperature in Cherbourg was 70F as opposed to 102F in Paris). The only goal of the trip was to escape from the horrible heat. I thought Cherbourg was ugly and there would be nothing scenic to explore there, but much to our surprise we discovered one of the most impressive, unspoiled, and crowd-free coastline in Europe, with the tallest cliffs in all of Europe.

The coastline reminded us a LOT of the US Northwest Pacific coastline. It was incredible to find that only 4 hours drive from Paris!

We walked on that trail at 9pm with the sun still out (thanks to the long summer days of northern Europe!):

And discovered this little isolated cove at the bottom of a cliff where I felt I was transported back to some areas I had explored near Neah Bay in the state of Washington.

Then we walked back to the restaurant on top of another cliff 15 minutes walk from the cove to watch the sunset at 10:20pm:

While eating the best lobster I've had in a long time (cooked in the fire of the chimney of the restaurant hall!):

And we were almost alone. Like you have an entire coastline all to yourself like in the wildest parts of the US West Coast. Right in the middle of North-Western Europe! Crazy.

The day before we had this huge beach almost entirely to ourselves. There were in total no more than 10 kids in the entire beach, right in the middle of July!

And then the next day we took a boat to go on an island off the coast:

And we explored a lovely island enjoying nearly frost-free climate all year round thanks to being in the middle of the Gulf Stream:

And the craziest thing about all this is there are virtually no tourists AT ALL (except for the last island). It's something I'll never understand. Some stunning scenic regions are totally off the radar.

I haven't even mentioned that we ate some dirt-cheap wild mussels (wild! fished only in July) in a tiny little harbor nestled in a cove with the workers of the nearby nuclear plant during their lunch break, walked on the seabed between a tiny fishing port and an island with 17th century fortifications more than half a mile off the coast (this region has the highest tidal ranges in Europe), visited a real nuclear submarine (retired from the French nuclear fleet), saw the largest and deepest aquarium in Europe (3-floor tall, recreating a real reef of French Polynesia with the different species at different depths, including sharks), and so on. Surreal when I think back about it, because it's the last region a French person would think about visiting.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 4:48 PM

^ I've actually stopped in neighboring Llafranc.

Hate to spoil the secret, but it has found it's way to the Telegraph travel section: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...t-Seaside.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ I've actually stopped in neighboring Llafranc.

Hate to spoil the secret, but it has found it's way to the Telegraph travel section: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...t-Seaside.html

I see they have Cotentin too: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/th...ect-break.html

Although they haven't mentioned some of the places and things I found to be the best there.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 11:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So how did you get around?

The Amalfi coast drive is forever imprinted in my family's vacation lore.

Thank goodness my rental car had an electronic control button to pull in the mirrors. I used it more than once on that road.

At one point I got stuck in a super tight spot in a curve with a bus with the cliff on his side and the abyss and ocean on my side (with only those low stone barriers separating us from disaster). The bus driver and I negotiated each move a few inches at a time for about 10 minutes. Of course, there was a concert of horns and the classic hang gestures you can imagine behind each of us while this was going on.
Circumvesuviana (train), shuttle, cab, boat, bus.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 12:27 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Gah, I can't narrow it down well.

NORTH AMERICA: Boston/Montreal/Quebec City
SOUTH AMERICA: Buenos Aires/Cartagena
EUROPE: Dublin/Glasgow/Liverpool/London/Vilnius/Budapest/Sarajevo/Istanbul
ASIA: Beirut/Damascus/Isfahan
AFRICA: Algiers
THE REST: Christchurch

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 3:04 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Ouagadougou

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 3:15 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

I was thinking Benghazi, Libya. Some American are just obsessed with that place. Easily the most searched destination in Africa.

Love that Ouagadougou skyline. Damn!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 3:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Ouagadougou
One of my favourite place names but not so cool with what's gone on there in the past few weeks.

Check out Ouaga 2000, the new suburban sprawl frontier of the city built for the rich and famous with mansions, embassies, shopping centres and a spaceship-like "Palais des Sports". Bankrolled by Moammar Qadaffi back in the day!

(I've actually got someone from Ouagadougou sitting about 5 m from me right now!)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions