HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:04 AM

Serifs, who needs 'em!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 4:42 PM

The difference is not enough of a change for me, but I guess the location is a big one.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 4:54 AM

Big Smoke Burgers at Broadway and Cambie closed on June 3rd. They say their new Vancouver store will resemble the Burnaby Mountain location.
The notice also said that they needed a larger location, and that the new store will have an expanded menu and will sell beer and wine. They were always packed when I went past.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 12:08 AM
retro_orange

I was at Cambie and Broadway last night and i noticed the orange fencing around all the trees that are on the Wendy's property. Plus the former Mongolie Grill on Broadway is getting it's interior ripped out, oddly the Wendy's sign says they are hiring and there's no notice posted on the door that it's closing or moving.

Anyone have any idea whats happening with either the Wendy's site or the former Mongolie Grill site?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
I was at Cambie and Broadway last night and i noticed the orange fencing around all the trees that are on the Wendy's property. Plus the former Mongolie Grill on Broadway is getting it's interior ripped out, oddly the Wendy's sign says they are hiring and there's no notice posted on the door that it's closing or moving.

Anyone have any idea whats happening with either the Wendy's site or the former Mongolie Grill site?

Interesting. I first noticed the Mongolie Grill closed last December and posted about it here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...36#post7276036

There was some discussion about it that you might find interesting. Not really sure what's going on there. This will be a site to keep a close eye on now.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Interesting. I first noticed the Mongolie Grill closed last December and posted about it here:

There was some discussion about it that you might find interesting. Not really sure what's going on there. This will be a site to keep a close eye on now.
The business was up for sale last year. 5 years with option to renew.

http://vancouverrestaurantbrokers.co...tails-48777404

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 9:08 AM
retro_orange

Quote:

Yeesh, just looking up the value of the land the Wendys is on. For 2016 it's worth $19,504,900, it went up in value over 6 million in the past year alone.

Seems Wendy is the new 'Jenny from the block'.

info here:
http://datagovca.com/vancouver-prope...id=011-056-070

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger
The business was up for sale last year. 5 years with option to renew.

http://vancouverrestaurantbrokers.co...tails-48777404
I wonder why it say empty with nothing going on for 9 months, it had been broken into and trashed several times while vacant.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:27 AM

I stopped in today at the Wendy's at Cambie near Broadway and talked to a manager. I asked if the place was going to be closing and she said no, they are going to be doing some renovations and that's why the tree protection fences were up. So, if that's true then I don't think what's happening with the old Mongolie Grill space and Wendy's are connected. My guess is that there will be a new tenant in the Mongolie space and Wendy's will complete renovations and be there for a long time yet.

July 19 '16, my pics

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:53 AM

Looks like another location for Smak will be opening on Granville between Dunsmuir and Pender.

July 19 '16, my pics

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:42 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
I stopped in today at the Wendy's at Cambie near Broadway and talked to a manager. I asked if the place was going to be closing and she said no, they are going to be doing some renovations and that's why the tree protection fences were up. So, if that's true then I don't think what's happening with the old Mongolie Grill space and Wendy's are connected. My guess is that there will be a new tenant in the Mongolie space and Wendy's will complete renovations and be there for a long time yet.

July 19 '16, my pics
Thanks for that! I thought of going in and asking but it was late by then. It's painful thinking they're investing in renovations and not gonna cash out on the land while they can. They must have received offers for it, especially in the past few years. As others had mentioned last year, it would be great if this site was consolidated with the alley and the narrow block fronting Broadway. A mid rise office block or mixed use would look great here with the new oblong shape.

As for the Mongolie building, the patio has a real advantage, it's view changes every 30 seconds with the flip billboard (unfortunately from behind and only 3 images) The Beech trees do look nice though.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
... As others had mentioned last year, it would be great if this site was consolidated with the alley and the narrow block fronting Broadway. A mid rise office block or mixed use would look great here with the new oblong shape.
The site would be height restricted by the City Hall (10th Ave.) view cone.
The height would max out at about the same height as Crossroads across Cambie.

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...ewcones/91.htm

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 12:18 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The site would be height restricted by the City Hall (10th Ave.) view cone.
The height would max out at about the same height as Crossroads across Cambie.

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...ewcones/91.htm
I think that would be great IMO something similar in execution to crossroads would be perfect and frame the view nicely as you drive north past city hall on Cambie. Then as you go further east on Broadway the buildings should get higher as they already do going west towards the hospital. The area between Broadway and the OV, from Cambie to Main should have more buildings in the 10-15 storey range instead of 4-6. Perfect opportunity for more affordable buildings as it's a less desirable area to live.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 6:21 AM

Quote:
June 27 '16, my pics

The Tap Shack (formerly Mill Bistro) at Harbour Green Park has been open for about 3 weeks now. Nice to see.

July 23 '16, my pics

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that! I thought of going in and asking but it was late by then. It's painful thinking they're investing in renovations and not gonna cash out on the land while they can. They must have received offers for it, especially in the past few years. As others had mentioned last year, it would be great if this site was consolidated with the alley and the narrow block fronting Broadway. A mid rise office block or mixed use would look great here with the new oblong shape.

As for the Mongolie building, the patio has a real advantage, it's view changes every 30 seconds with the flip billboard (unfortunately from behind and only 3 images) The Beech trees do look nice though.
A drive thru location is gold, they aren't making any more of those. Funnily enough for some people in Vancouver it's not all about cashing in your real estate for quick gains.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:17 PM
Community Guy

'tap shack'

HA!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:21 PM
life in the present

Had a business meeting at the re-branding Tap Shack, Coal Harbour last Tuesday, food was seriously deplorable, way worse than Tap & Barrel ( same owners ). Hope things improve.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 12:28 AM

Might be really old news but A&W is opening up in Starbuck's old spot at the Main Street SkyTrain station.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 12:58 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
A drive thru location is gold, they aren't making any more of those. Funnily enough for some people in Vancouver it's not all about cashing in your real estate for quick gains.
lol, next you will be telling me it should be on the Vancouver heritage register for mid 1980's cheap eateries.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Might be really old news but A&W is opening up in Starbuck's old spot at the Main Street SkyTrain station.

And there's this possible Coal Harbour area A&W waiting to open (or waiting for a franchisee?) in the Melville tower on Bute Street.

July 23 '16, my pics

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 6:20 AM

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/trump...tclub-approval

Drai’s Nightclub at Trump International Hotel & Tower Liquor Primary License has been Approved.

Details:
128 People (Indoor), 96 People (Pool Bar and Patio Outside)
Liquor Service Sunday to Thursday (11AM - 1AM), Friday and Saturday (11AM - 2AM)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining