HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:47 PM

I love the idea of more global cities hosting. The only word of caution I would have is that the countries and cities that host should be financially able to do so on their own -- if that country has received recent money from the World Bank or IMF, they shouldn't be allowed to host. The IOC needs to be active in terms of helping prevent economic issues like Greece and Brazil faced.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Detroit is a one industry town, that had every bit as much to do with its decline as did the weather.
Detroit is not a one industry town, it has all of the typical industries that other large metros do, but the automotive industry is definitely its main industry.

It’s decline was also mainly from white flight and race problems, not because of the auto industry, wich is still going strong and is much more hi tech now, as opposed to working on the line, like in the past!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
If they want to do an Islamic country I would think Tehran or Istanbul, Cairo or Dubai are too uncomfortable for summer Olympics unless the committee lets them have the games in March
Istanbul has great summer weather. It’s usually about 80 degrees with a sea breeze.

Tehran is pretty hot, but no worse than LA when you get away from the beach. The US would obviously veto it though.

Cairo and Dubai, no way. Especially Dubai.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Detroit was a runner up in 1968 and lost to Mexico City.

It's a shame too, because landing the Olympics may have really aided in the city's recovery from the 1967 riots and, thus, helped to stem the city's decline.
Or more likely just thrust the city into bankruptcy half a century earlier. Nobody in Detroit wants the Olympics, not gonna happen.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Detroit is not a one industry town, it has all of the typical industries that other large metros do, but the automotive industry is definitely its main industry.
Don't feed the sunbelt trolls.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:50 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

detroit olympics in 1968, that would have been...interesting.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 6:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Very conflicted on the Olympics. Feels like a red herring to me. The infrastructure improvements would be nice.
Don't worry, after the 2016 farce, I think it's extremely unlikely that chicago will ever bid for another Olympic games in any of our lifetimes.

The olympics are also now dead to me. Maybe it's because I'm a parent now and don't have much spare time, but I just haven't paid much attention to the past several olympics. If I do find myself with some free time to watch sports, I'll watch a hawks game or cubs game because chicago.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
And who would fund that endowment?

There’s enough debate about whether it’s worthwhile for a city/country to host an Olympics. Any mayor or head of state who approved funding an Olympics elsewhere should be immediately impeached.
Each IOC nation would pitch into that. Not hard to figure out.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post

It’s decline was also mainly from white flight and race problems, not because of the auto industry, wich is still going strong and is much more hi tech now, as opposed to working on the line, like in the past!
Then you know what I mean. No city has just one industry but many are defined by it, as Detroit was/is.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Istanbul has great summer weather. It’s usually about 80 degrees with a sea breeze.

Tehran is pretty hot, but no worse than LA when you get away from the beach. The US would obviously veto it though.

Cairo and Dubai, no way. Especially Dubai.
LA cools down a bit more than Tehran at night according to the stats (its lows during the summer nights are in the 60s, or even high 50s more inland, while its days are in the 80s or in the 90s inland), Tehran has a pretty similar summer to Atlanta (day in the low 90s, nights in low 70s), but I assume it's less humid than Atlanta?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Each IOC nation would pitch into that. Not hard to figure out.
Yeah. Not ever going to happen.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
LA cools down a bit more than Tehran at night according to the stats (its lows during the summer nights are in the 60s, or even high 50s more inland, while its days are in the 80s or in the 90s inland), Tehran has a pretty similar summer to Atlanta (day in the low 90s, nights in low 70s), but I assume it's less humid than Atlanta?
I haven’t been, but Tehran is definitely drier than the Southeast US. It’s quite arid in the summer. And it’s also at altitude.

The diurnal ranges in both cities are similar (about 20F), Tehran is just 5-10 degrees warmer during the day and at night.

Last edited by 10023; Feb 11, 2018 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Not ever going to happen.
Why not? Does each organization not have dues from each member? Is it unrealistic for each member to pool some money together?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Why not? Does each organization not have dues from each member? Is it unrealistic for each member to pool some money together?
You’re talking about a different order of magnitude here. Countries are not going to contribute hundreds of millions of dollars for some other country to get the benefits of hosting a Games. Nor should they.

No country that can’t fund a Games should be hosting a Games, anyway.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
You’re talking about a different order of magnitude here. Countries are not going to contribute hundreds of millions of dollars for some other country to get the benefits of hosting a Games. Nor should they.

No country that can’t fund a Games should be hosting a Games, anyway.
Not countries...Olympic committees. It would be the USOC, not the US government/taxpayers directly, who would foot the bill.

I agree with the last sentence though.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:59 AM

Quote:
They already pitch in. The IOC gives the hosting nation something between 1-2 billion dollars. They could and should give more. But they aren’t going to pay the full tab, especially when a lot of that money gets funneled into the pockets of corrupt nations. Sochi cost $50 billion dollars, and no one knows where most of that money went. Well, actually we do. The pockets of Putin and friends.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Don't worry, after the 2016 farce, I think it's extremely unlikely that chicago will ever bid for another Olympic games in any of our lifetimes.

The olympics are also now dead to me. Maybe it's because I'm a parent now and don't have much spare time, but I just haven't paid much attention to the past several olympics. If I do find myself with some free time to watch sports, I'll watch a hawks game or cubs game because chicago.
The whole 2016 debacle just didn't seem right, something seemed off. And sure enough it turns out the entire voting process, where Chicago was thrown out in the first round, was wildly corrupt involving open bribery. It seems like Chicago was eliminated in the first round as it was widely seen as the strongest bid so they wiped it out ASAP to prevent any non-corrupted delegates from eliminating Rio in the process.

That said, maybe it was for the best that such a scummy and corrupt international organization didn't throw their party here. I have a feeling Chicago 2016 would have been a match made in hell with Aldermen and everyone else in government fueling a feeding frenzy orgy of corruption. Frankly I'm just surprised Daley didn't outbid the Rio crew, they must be quite skilled at corruption in Rio to outsnake the Chicago machine.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
They already pitch in. The IOC gives the hosting nation something between 1-2 billion dollars. They could and should give more. But they aren’t going to pay the full tab, especially when a lot of that money gets funneled into the pockets of corrupt nations. Sochi cost $50 billion dollars, and no one knows where most of that money went. Well, actually we do. The pockets of Putin and friends.
Didn't know that. So I guess I lose that argument.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:28 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
It’s an expensive and highly complex logistical exercise, so Europe, North America and now East Asia are still most equipped to do it.

I can’t even imagine how much of a mess an Olympics in Lagos or Mumbai would be. Maybe in another 100 years.
Not to mention safety and security. Which is probably the biggest factor not hosting in a city like Lagos or Mumbai...of which I am sure the Indian gov't could easily afford but a total fustercluck.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Not countries...Olympic committees. It would be the USOC, not the US government/taxpayers directly, who would foot the bill.

I agree with the last sentence though.
Where is the USOC going to get that kind of money?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions