HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Most connected to Europe?
NYC 41 46.59%
Toronto 8 9.09%
Chicago 7 7.95%
Montreal 30 34.09%
Other 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
soccer sucks.

football sucks.

hockey no suck.
Basketball no sucky either. Did you see the Clippers-Rockets game? Fireworks on the court and in the locker room post-game.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:20 PM

Yes, the Chicago school. They came up with the concentric rings idea for cities too I think (ironically Chicago itself no longer follows the pattern of the poorest living near the city center anymore).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:21 PM

Ok, so it seems like New York city has a very clear lead among the thirty or so voters so far, with a pretty sizable minority saying Montreal.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Basketball no sucky either.
basketball would be much better if they made it more difficult to score points.

"hey, i've got a great idea for a sport, let's have two teams trade baskets for 46 minutes, and then in the final two minutes the game will change into a free throw contest for some reason."

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Another thing it feels like is that European media or entertainment has more sway in Montreal above and beyond being seen as "only for the local ethnic community", the way it is probably in the other three cities I gave here. Maybe it's the "interculturalism" thing.

In order to get a European influence, you have to make it be seen as something normal that non-immigrants care about in more than a symbolic way or a symbolic marker of roots (like wearing an Italian flag shirt etc) but not paid attention to otherwise. Otherwise it's only "European media/culture for European immigrants", "Asian media/culture for Asian immigrants etc" and so-on and so-forth, with "mainstream American culture" for "the rest of us, who already assimilated".
One of the most controversial topics in the SSP Canada section is always the perceived/denied/alleged European-esque traits of the city of Montreal and more broadly of the province of Quebec.

Even though I am totally aware that such a debate is akin to one about "who is the tallest dwarf?", my own sense having lived in five Canadian provinces, travelled to the five others, and to more three quarters of the U.S.' states, Montreal/Quebec likely do have the most European traits outside of a few small pockets that one might find elsewhere on the Anglo-American () continent.

It's also worth mentioning that these Euro traits run the gamut, from widespread public support for "nanny state" government policies, to kissing on both cheeks, to stinky cheeses, to tons of non-gay men wearing clothes that express their feminine side, to an appreciation for tacky trashy dance music, to a higher bar for newcomers integrating wider society and becoming "part of the gang"...

And of course, Montreal/Quebec can be profoundly North American in many ways with gridiron football tailgate parties, Halloween decorations and trick or treating, strip malls all over the place, bacon and eggs for breakfast, etc.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
my own sense having lived in five Canadian provinces, travelled to the five others, and to more three quarters of the U.S.' states, Montreal/Quebec likely do have the most European traits outside of a few small pockets that one might find elsewhere on the Anglo-American () continent.
So, what is your opinion on the place with the most European traits of any Anglo-American city?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:

"hey, i've got a great idea for a sport, let's have two teams trade baskets for 46 minutes, and then in the final two minutes the game will change into a free throw contest for some reason."
Now that is for sure. The refs already control too much. They need to let the players play--1980's style- you drive to the lane, expect an elbow to your gut or grill, but I still enjoy a competitive game from time to time like was the case a couple nights ago. Hey NBA: Let 'em play!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Back in the 1940s, the Chicago Tribune was considered the "bible" of American isolationism, which saw the Northeastern elites as too anglophilic and concerned with events in Europe.
People have long tried to portray the Midwest as one of the most "all-American" regions, so Chicago even though a big city, has that viewpoint to an extent, relative to other big cities.

However, Chicago during its peak European immigration times did seem very polyglot and did give off "the world in a city" vibe. Maybe despite having large scale immigration during the 19th and 20th centuries just like NYC with Ellis Island, Chicago really did assimilate its immigrants more quickly (and being far from the immigrants' landing spots there was less direct of a tie to the old country)?

Is there any evidence that Chicagoans of recent immigrant origin, either now or back in the day were less concerned or less interested in overseas affairs than New Yorkers or people directly on the coast (who would additionally be exposed to new immigrants continuously after the last wave assimilated). Maybe it was more costly or inconvenient to go back and forth between Europe and the US from the Midwest than from the coast? Or can it all just be explained by the passage of time. More time since last immigration wave passed = more assimilated.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
So, what is your opinion on the place with the most European traits of any Anglo-American city?
I wouldn't claim to be an expert but in terms of the OP (which about connections) I would go with New York.

In terms of feel and traits, I'd probably go with Boston. New Orleans has some of that too but it's not polished enough nor does it have the right atmosphere to correspond to my view of a typical European city (realizing there are lots of types of European cities with varying levels of "polish").

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
People have long tried to portray the Midwest as one of the most "all-American" regions, so Chicago even though a big city, has that viewpoint to an extent, relative to other big cities.
chicago is really more of an "all-Chicagoan" kind of place.

america is a dirty shithole.

fuck that place.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:

That is in fact what's great about the sport -- it is easy to score in comparison with other team sports.

That's why defense is so much more important in basketball than in any other sport.

The real challenge of basketball is STOPPING the other team from scoring. That's what makes basketball so difficult to play for most people -- preventing the opposing player within the rules from doing something that is (relatively) easy.

All that being said, basketball rules which would serve to end or at least limit the final minutes' free-throw battle should be implemented. The fouling/free throw "strategizing", while a part of the game, is not all that fun to watch.

And one more thing... you wanna make people actually watch hockey?

Get rid of the fucking goalie. Same goes for soccer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
chicago is really more of an "all-Chicagoan" kind of place.

america is a dirty shithole.

fuck that place.
But could the one truly exist without the other?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
But could the one truly exist without the other?
very true, america would have never existed without chicago.

afterall, chicago is the birthplace of the nation.

or is it jacksonville? i forget......

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned on a previous page, British immigrants to Canada are also more spread out across the country, contrary to French immigrants who concentrate in one province (Quebec), and even in one city (Montreal) and even to some degree in certain specific areas of that city.

The Plateau Mont-Royal district in Montreal is often referred to as le 21e arrondissement de Paris.
Are there not many recent French migrants in Quebec City?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
And one more thing... you wanna make people actually watch hockey?

Get rid of the fucking goalie. Same goes for soccer.
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not but surely that would just dumb down both sports, no skill required any longer just hit the ball/puck in the right general direction and you get a point. Who would want to watch that?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not but surely that would just dumb down both sports, no skill required any longer just hit the ball/puck in the right general direction and you get a point. Who would want to watch that?
Fuck goalies.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Watching the absolute carnage on the field/ice involved in opposing players trying to score/defend would be a hell of a sport to watch.

I don't think it would be as easy to score in hockey or soccer as you're saying.

And again, fuck goalies. Most goalies started out as goalies because they sucked so bad on the ice/field that they were put there to simply occupy space and get out of everyone else's way.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I don't think it would be as easy to score in hockey or soccer as you're saying.
basketballs shot at the basket typically travel anywhere from 10 - 20 mph.

a hockey puck slapshot travels at around 100 mph.

hockey without a goalie would be a turkey shoot.

besides, brilliant goalie saves are one of the things that makes hockey so much fun to watch.

FTR, i don't hate basketball or anything, i just wish it were harder to score so that scoring meant something. and the whole free-throw contest at the end of the game is a real snooze-fest.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
basketballs shot at the basket typically travel anywhere from 10 - 20 mph.

a hockey puck slap shot travels at around 100 mph.

hockey without a goalie would be a turkey shoot.

besides, brilliant goalie saves are one of the things that makes hockey so much fun to watch.

FTR, i don't hate basketball or anything, i just wish it were harder to score so that scoring meant something. and the whole free-throw contest at the end of the game is a real snooze-fest.
Agreed, so premium value in hockey would be placed on defense. Not being able to rely on goalie saves anymore. You gotta stop that huge, strong, fast, nasty dude with a stick from lighting the lamp.

I say this in jest, mainly... but I'm pretty sure I'd watch it. I've sat through far too many 1-0 hockey games on TV on a Tuesday night to not be somewhat intrigued by what a 'no goalie' version of the sport could offer.

Soccer is pretty much unwatchable for me.

I played both hockey and soccer growing up and still really enjoy playing both (and watching hockey live), but I can't get into them on TV (hockey during playoffs, yes).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Are there not many recent French migrants in Quebec City?
Some. It's the second destination for them after Montreal but the number is small relative to the big city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions