HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 10:47 PM

If I ever get the Chance to meet Mark Chipman I would ask him a question. Knowing what he knows now, If he could go back what would he have done differently when designing the MTS Centre in 2002. I really wonder what his answer would be

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 AM

Does any other province or city in this country have an entertainment tax?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Please explain to the board - without using baseless qualifiers - how a profitable NHL team deserves $13MM in subsidies.

Notwithstanding the sad truth that people somehow conflate watching hockey with civic pride and their own self worth, I'd like to know how the Winnipeg Jets make us better to the tune of $13MM annually when there are many other objectively better ways we could be spending that money.
- The 23 players playing for the Winnipeg Jets pays income tax - $66,768,300?
- 84 flights into and out of the city by the teams. Added business to WAA? And the 42 teams coming here to stay, most of the time stays at Fairmont and likely eats at Hy's (I saw the Senators team there when I dined with my wife). The team's staff, coaches, and all that likely spends some money here. Not including playoffs
- Players such as Ladd has a house here. I'm pretty sure it's not a small $250,000 house. Some added property taxes there.
- I know that some people would say "But hey it's just money relocation, without Jets people would buy something else" but what are the chances of those money spent being trips to Bahamas? They would stay here instead and pay for seats?
- I wonder, if it wasn't for the Jets, would Mark Chipman still invest $400,000,000 on that new development he's planning?

Correct me if I'm wrong. But for me, 13M is a small investment. If it was 25M+ like Glendale or more, that would probably change my mind.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post
- The 23 players playing for the Winnipeg Jets pays income tax - $66,768,300?
- 84 flights into and out of the city by the teams. Added business to WAA? And the 42 teams coming here to stay, most of the time stays at Fairmont and likely eats at Hy's (I saw the Senators team there when I dined with my wife). The team's staff, coaches, and all that likely spends some money here. Not including playoffs
- Players such as Ladd has a house here. I'm pretty sure it's not a small $250,000 house. Some added property taxes there.
- I know that some people would say "But hey it's just money relocation, without Jets people would buy something else" but what are the chances of those money spent being trips to Bahamas? They would stay here instead and pay for seats?
- I wonder, if it wasn't for the Jets, would Mark Chipman still invest $400,000,000 on that new development he's planning?

Correct me if I'm wrong. But for me, 13M is a small investment. If it was 25M+ like Glendale or more, that would probably change my mind.
Most of what you're commenting on - other than the salaries which are negligible in relation to our province's total tax base - were already here with the Moose. The rest of the benefit we've just turned right back to the Jets with the argument that "if they weren't here, we wouldn't be getting those revenues". And while some of that's true, it's true of absolutely everything. You probably pay income tax. I encourage somebody to write on their return next year that they're not contributing this year because if they didn't work there'd be nothing to tax. I'm not sure you've have the same sympathetic ear.

And Mark Chipman isn't investing $400MM into downtown Winnipeg, you can rest assured. Nobody is. These figures are crazy and they have no basis in reality. When you can't fill more than 60% of 70,000 square feet in one building, nobody comes and builds another 750,000, so let's all ground ourselves for a moment.

But even if we did leave reality aside, does anybody truly believe that a hockey team is going to somehow drive demand for two new office towers? On what basis? There's absolutely no correlation outside of the one people try and draw in their minds.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 10:07 PM

Apparently Perrault is a game time decision..He regrets shaving of his beard..lol and is working on it once again...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ight-1.2882393

Is this a must win?..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:25 PM

Playoffs seem further and further away..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le-TanK- View Post
Playoffs seem further and further away..

Sad day indeed. I'm trying to put a little distance between my self and this run of 5 games to lessen the impact of a miss by a point or two. Still trying to be optimistic but it's getting difficult..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:50 PM

Jets need to go 3-1-1 and beat Calgary in the last game. And they'll make it. Barring any major nose dives by Calgary or LA. If one team wins out fine. But the other can not. those are the only two teams we need to focus on. And I think they play once.

It's going to be a close one. Just reconfirmed my playoff payments method and my ticket rep is still quite optimistic! lol

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:14 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Jets need to go 3-1-1 and beat Calgary in the last game. And they'll make it. Barring any major nose dives by Calgary or LA. If one team wins out fine. But the other can not. those are the only two teams we need to focus on. And I think they play once.

It's going to be a close one. Just reconfirmed my playoff payments method and my ticket rep is still quite optimistic! lol
The optimist in me (although somewhat far fetched by the rate the Jets are going) tells me they need to go 4-1-0 as a safe bet.

And with the way things are going with Big Buff under investigation by the league for that malicious cross-check, it's going to be extremely tough.

I hate how we have basically a 50/50 shot at the playoffs almost every year since the NHL came back. It's so antagonizing and stressful just thinking about it.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:08 PM

Jets have the Canucks, Wild, Blues, Avalanche, Flames.
Flames have the Blues, Oilers, Coyotes, Kings, Jets.
Kings have the Oilers, Avalanche, Canucks, Oilers, Flames, Sharks.

Could easily come down to the last game at home.
If your a Flames fan, I wouldn't wear your jersey to that last game.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 10:14 AM

One silver lining is that the flames play the jets and kings. Hopefully the kings Can Pull that game off. Might come down to the Jets and Flames game 82 at MTS. Can you imagine?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:43 PM

Hope the Flames win more games than LA does so both Flames and Jets make the postseason!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzookz View Post
Hope the Flames win more games than LA does so both Flames and Jets make the postseason!
It would be nice, I just hope it doesn't come down to the JETS. vs. FLAMES to decide who doesn't make it....

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:24 PM

How disappointing would that be for the Kings. Two cups in three years, conference finals the other year. Then miss the playoffs. They're the closest thing to a dynasty since the Oilers. This day and age, 3 cups in 4 years would be a dynasty IMO. That's unheard of in pretty much every major sport. I guess basketball has been the Lakers and Spurs have been champions every other year for the past two decades.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:50 PM

For the Kings? No disappointment here, unfortunate for thier team but nothing more, If it meant 2 Canadian franchises who have not been as fortunate, so be it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:51 PM
What could go wrong?

Disappoint away. I hope the Kings loose their last 3 games. I would love to see Calgary and Winnipeg both get in. Too be perfectly honest though, I could care less about anyone but the Jets........I very self centred!

Lets go Jets!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 9:13 PM

Jets/Habs final!

I would love to see 5 Canadian teams in this season. Screw the kings and the Newly formed fan base that they all the sudden got 3 seasons ago for some odd reason they swear has nothing to do with 2 cups.

GOJETSGO

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 9:22 PM

LOL okay let me be clear, I meant disappointing for them. I would love for Calgary, Ottawa and Winnipeg to be in. And like Biff said, self-centred selfish me doesn't really care about anyone but the Jets!

All huge games, but tonight against STL will be tough. Hopefully Jets pull one off like yesterday!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
LOL okay let me be clear, I meant disappointing for them. I would love for Calgary, Ottawa and Winnipeg to be in. And like Biff said, self-centred selfish me doesn't really care about anyone but the Jets!

All huge games, but tonight against STL will be tough. Hopefully Jets pull one off like yesterday!
Back to back
jets historically sucks vs blues
Pav doesnt do good 2 nights in a row
hutch cant win anything right now

I say they drop this game and beat Colorado.

I also say flames and kings win against phoenix. because lets be honest here its the coyotes

I also say the kings beat Calgary

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:03 PM

In that scenario it comes down to Saturday vs. Calgary. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The pressure!

Really though you're correct on the goalie situation. Have to run with Pavelec at this point. I don't think we'll see Hutchinson again until next season barring injury.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan