HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:24 AM

Chicago Fire officially leaving the suburbs and returning to play at Soldier Field next year

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:38 AM

move back to the city - yes!
chicago city fc - cringe

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post

Its simply a dead sport in the USA.
hot take

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Its simply a dead sport in the USA.
The sport is very popular, the problem is MLS is a minor league. Why watch minor league soccer when real teams visit the major markets multiple times annually?

I doubt Soldier Field helps attendance. Football stadia are generally terrible for soccer. And, given it's a major market, Chicago already sees the Madrids and Bayerns of the world.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 12:57 PM
The City

One point that could be made is that a SF location could help with brand building, which could boost attendance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 2:21 PM

The Fire play 17 home games from March to October. Most games are Wednesdays and Saturdays, they do have Sunday Sept 29th as a home game. Shouldn't be too hard to avoid scheduling conflict with the Bears.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 2:36 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I doubt Soldier Field helps attendance. Football stadia are generally terrible for soccer. And, given it's a major market, Chicago already sees the Madrids and Bayerns of the world.
Soldier Field is the second-smallest stadium by capacity in the NFL, excluding the Chargers' temporary use of the LA Galaxy soccer stadium.

Still, SF's capacity is 3x that of the Bridgeview stadium.

It would be awesome if we could get something like Minnesota's new soccer stadium in a city location...

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Re: the McKinley Park site. Perhaps I've got something mixed up here. I may have been thinking of the Brighton Park site. Was there talk of a potential stadium there? - I could have sworn I heard something about this.

Anyways, I suppose this is a good spot to throw out my Southside combined Sox/Fire sports complex idea. I'll just copy and paste from a previous post:
Sorry BB , I dont see your vision. All the disadvantages of Bridgeview in that it is too far from dt, and there is no pregame/postgame establishment that fans would go to. And the White Sox are not moving further away into a neighborhood that is not an improvement over their current environs.

If anything the Fire should build in one of the White Sox parking lots or one of the Chicago Stadium parking lots. Then build a parking deck to replace lost slots.

I prefer the Chicago Stadium site since the NBA/NHL seasons are opposite of the MLS season. This would activate the west side complex on an additional 20 events in the summer. It would anchor the west side and take advantage of the new Damen Green line stop and still be accessible to the Med District Blue Line stop. It is easy to imagine entertainment/retail and even more dense housing growing in the immediate area around the Stadium.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:34 PM
The City

I would love for them to build in a transit adjacent site, that's for sure.

We need a 21st century version of the magic of riding the Red Line to Wrigley.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:56 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

What about the K-Mart/Olive Garden at Addison and the Kennedy?

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:28 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Chicago Fire officially leaving the suburbs and returning to play at Soldier Field next year
It's about time they stopped being so stubborn.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
What about the K-Mart/Olive Garden at Addison and the Kennedy?
can we obliterate the home depot and family dollar too?

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 10:33 PM

If only there were a large site available in one of these newly-approved mega developments...

Bring the stadium back to Lincoln Yards!!!

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 10:59 PM

Hmm...this news has me thinking that proposals for a new NFL stadium for the Chicago Bears might start to appear in the next year or two.

Soldier Field is one of the smallest stadiums in the entire league, and the city (and the Bears) have long sought a solution for that situation with the hopes of hosting a Super Bowl. This deal could present the city with a long-term plan for Soldier Field, while opening the door for a new NFL stadium (possible on the Michael Reese campus or the 78).

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Hmm...this news has me thinking that proposals for a new NFL stadium for the Chicago Bears might start to appear in the next year or two.

Soldier Field is one of the smallest stadiums in the entire league, and the city (and the Bears) have long sought a solution for that situation with the hopes of hosting a Super Bowl. This deal could present the city with a long-term plan for Soldier Field, while opening the door for a new NFL stadium (possible on the Michael Reese campus or the 78).
With a retractable dome pls the size of the stadium in Dallas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Stadium

It would cost at least 1.5 billion. But Superbowls, bowl games, conventions, a multitude of things...

Last edited by bnk; May 9, 2019 at 11:15 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 2:25 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I was speaking to MLS as a whole. I don't doubt that the Fire's current demo is hard majority Latino given where the stadium is. The idea is they need to cater to more than just that demo like other MLS teams have successfully done. See Atlanta United or Seattle Sounders, who pull 40k+ average attendance in NFL stadiums.
Yeah, I think businesses located downtown with a young workforce will likely sponsor company outings to games and give out reward tickets. I can't imagine that happened much, if at all, with the suburban location, but I've worked at plenty of places that do Sox or Cubs games, and some companies would do well adding or substituting a Fire game - much easier to do and sell to employees with a city stadium. No one wants to go to a work event where they're trapped at the location, which means reliable transit is key.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 6:52 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The sport is very popular, the problem is MLS is a minor league. Why watch minor league soccer when real teams visit the major markets multiple times annually?

MLS averages more people than the NBA and NFL. MLS is also expanding almost yearly. This year alone saw the debut of FC Cinncinati. 2020 will see Inter Miami and Nashville SC. 2021 will see Austin FC join the league and don't be surprised to see Sacramento Republic join in the not too distant future.

And to say the MLS is a minor league is a clear indicator that you don't watch it. MLS's popularity is as high as it's ever been and will only get bigger.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
MLS averages more people than the NBA and NFL. MLS is also expanding almost yearly. This year alone saw the debut of FC Cinncinati. 2020 will see Inter Miami and Nashville SC. 2021 will see Austin FC join the league and don't be surprised to see Sacramento Republic join in the not too distant future.

And to say the MLS is a minor league is a clear indicator that you don't watch it. MLS's popularity is as high as it's ever been and will only get bigger.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ports-leagues/

More than NFL? Not even close. And the reason it has more attendance than NBA and NHL isn't number of fans but size of arenas. NHL and NBA play many more games, so overall attendance crushes MLS. NBA and NHL have 82 games and long playoff series. MLB has 162 games(!) and long playoff series.

MLS is a growing sport in some regions, but you needed to get fact checked hard.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 8:49 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post

Doubtful. The same ownership thought that having a 61k capacity was a good idea. If they have prioritized a dome the city/state was ready to give them one for a few decades. As far as I've always understood it the Bears are the ones who always wanted an outdoor stadium despite the revenue of hosting one or two Super Bowls/Final Fours could bring in.
No reason to think that has radically departed from that thinking and even less reason than ever to see how the state/city would get behind the funding of a new stadium just 15 years after the new one opened.

If somehow a new retractable/dome stadium could be incroperted into a McMormick expansion then maybe you could get some funding throw in. However, a new dome stadium or just an empty Soldier Field would be too large for the permanent home of the Fire. One could take the down the west upper grandstand of Soldier Field and be left with a 40k stadium but that would cost money though it would have the benefit of dismantling the UFO apperance of the current stadium.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 10:30 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ports-leagues/

More than NFL? Not even close. And the reason it has more attendance than NBA and NHL isn't number of fans but size of arenas. NHL and NBA play many more games, so overall attendance crushes MLS. NBA and NHL have 82 games and long playoff series. MLB has 162 games(!) and long playoff series.

MLS is a growing sport in some regions, but you needed to get fact checked hard.
I apologize. I meant NHL. Surely the MLS won't ever compete with the NFL. Nor is that it's intention. But the MLS of today is a far more stable league than it was as recent as 10 years ago. Especially considering that nearly every MLS team has their own stadium and those that don't have their own soccer specific stadiums, the NFL stadiums they play in were designed with soccer in mind. Aside from maybe the New England Revolution. MLS is not a joke of a league. Not anymore at least. And the MLS season runs from March to October which is about as long as MLB (though nowhere near as many games).

The Fire moving back to Soldier Field is nothing but good news. A majority of MLS stadiums are close to downtown and the Fire will surely get a boost and hopefully a attendance spike.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development