HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 6:37 PM
Editor

Those reports are interesting. I don't know if I want to dig to deep, I may never eat at a restaurant again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion747 View Post
I actually hate the new format of the CHR's inspection reports. While it's good they list all items that failed the check, I think they need to indicate those restaurants that truly have failed better on those particular reports. For example, if they receive a 'shut down' order it should show up there. Witness any of the restaurants on the below executive order lists - their shut down orders don't show up on their routine inspection reports. Joe public might read too much into a report otherwise. The public needs a little more to go on methinks.

I also believe those inspection reports need to be taken with a grain of salt. A restaurant getting written up because of procedures not being posted is a lot different (in my books anyways) that one that has vermin around.

To me, the best reports are still the executive reports here: If you're on this list - I don't eat there period - and I'm a pretty lenient guy. That includes you too F.A.T.S!

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/pu...nspections.htm

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 4:38 PM

The best executive report

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion747 View Post
To me, the best reports are still the executive reports here: If you're on this list - I don't eat there period - and I'm a pretty lenient guy. That includes you too F.A.T.S!

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/pu...nspections.htm
I've read the executive reports for some time. THE BEST ONE EVER:
Little Beijing Cafe.

Among the usual vermin, grime, poorly stored food, is this little gem:
Quote:

Blood from stabbing which occurred on June 28, 2008 still visible on dining room carpet and on small area of brick wall. Unable to determine if dining room surfaces were cleaned and disinfected, and done in accordance with blood and bodily fluid cleanup procedure. This contravenes the AR 31/2006 Section 28(2) which states: A commercial food establishment, all equipment and utensils in it and all surfaces in it with which food comes in contact must be maintained in a sanitary condition and, without limiting the forgoing, must be washed and sanitized in a manner that removes contamination.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 2:29 AM
Inflatable Hippo

my best friend is bringing her Calgary hating Toronto is "waaauld claasss" complex fiance to town for thanksgiving.

Where should I take them that won't have him talking about the "waaauld claasss" dining that can only be had in Toronto for a couple of hours?

Last edited by Policy Wonk; Oct 6, 2008 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 3:15 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
my best friend is bringing her Calgary hating Toronto is "waaauld claasss" complex fiance to town for thanksgiving.

Where should I take them that won't have him talking about the "waaauld claasss" dining that can only be had in Toronto for a couple of hours?
Chef's Table at the Kensington Riverside Inn, River Cafe, Capo, Olives, Rush, Il Sogno, Muse, Brava Bistro, Alloy, Blink, Catch... maybe try the new Janice Beaton project (Farm) which opens next week...

I might add that sushi in Calgary blows. Toronto. out. of. the. water. One meal at Globefish, Wa's, Momo-Yama, Zipang or Blowfish and Toronto sushi (especially the garbage on Queen West and in the Annex) will only inspire projectile vomiting.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 5:41 PM

The Ranche in Fish Creek Park is amazing, I just went there last month.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 7:03 PM
That's what she said

Quote:

Tribune and Belvedere have both been good experiences for me.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
I might add that sushi in Calgary blows. Toronto. out. of. the. water. One meal at Globefish, Wa's, Momo-Yama, Zipang or Blowfish and Toronto sushi (especially the garbage on Queen West and in the Annex) will only inspire projectile vomiting.
My wife works near Momo-Yama. Soooo good.

While sushi in Calgary is very good, I still think my best sushi experience was in Tofino at the not-so-aptly-named Tough City Inn and Sushi Bar. If the ocean, beaches, ganja, rain forest, etc. isn't enough to motivate you to go there, that sushi place will.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:32 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to see what I can get reservations for. Now if only we can convince him the gas flares by the airport aren't cross burnings ...yes he actually said that.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 2:02 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to see what I can get reservations for. Now if only we can convince him the gas flares by the airport aren't cross burnings ...yes he actually said that.
Remind him of the Toronto police officers who attended the white pride rallies in the US a few years ago. Fuck, just make shit up.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 2:43 PM

Anybody been to Big Fish on Edmonton Trail? Going there tonight for dinner with my wife.

Also, I'm quite certain it's been talked about here, but I'm going to ask anyways rather than going through the 60 pages of posts. Anybody know of a nice restaurant with a good tasting menu? I don't care whether it's a pre-determined one, or if it's one where the chef does what they feel at the time. Preferably one that has a good cheese selection too!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 4:30 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post
Anybody been to Big Fish on Edmonton Trail? Going there tonight for dinner with my wife.

Also, I'm quite certain it's been talked about here, but I'm going to ask anyways rather than going through the 60 pages of posts. Anybody know of a nice restaurant with a good tasting menu? I don't care whether it's a pre-determined one, or if it's one where the chef does what they feel at the time. Preferably one that has a good cheese selection too!
Big Fish, never been, but a friend of mine from Halifax who for two years refused to eat seafood in Calgary ( sigh) ate there and loved it... so for what it's worth....

Tasting menu's, try Chef's Table at Kensington Riverside Inn (as Furry mentioned) or right behind it at Muse. Lots of places have them though, I suggest Chowhound.com, they're a friendly, very helpful bunch.

Last edited by jeffwhit; Oct 10, 2008 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 4:39 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

thats chowhound.com and there is a thread on Calgary tasting menus- major recs for Chef's Table and the new Rush.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 4:52 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
thats chowhound.com and there is a thread on Calgary tasting menus- major recs for Chef's Table and the new Rush.
oops, fixed.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 5:43 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:

I've been to Big Fish, but have no recollection of what it was like...hope that helps.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 6:27 PM
What we play is life.

There's a place called Delicious Thai in Kensington that is freaking amazing. It's on the east side of 10th, near the CPU, in that little seating area where all the hipster's hang out.
I'd highly recommend it. The atmosphere is great, the server is genuinely grateful, and the food is worth stealing a busker's hat for.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 7:24 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
There's a place called Delicious Thai in Kensington that is freaking amazing. It's on the east side of 10th, near the CPU, in that little seating area where all the hipster's hang out.
I'd highly recommend it. The atmosphere is great, the server is genuinely grateful, and the food is worth stealing a busker's hat for.
It would be nice to see something survive in that location- it's been death and more death for some very good little restos.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:10 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
CPU? Where exactly? this is my hood, how have i missed this? I need to go outside more.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I live right around the corner from it, and until recently (new baby) used to go there on a semi-regular basis.

The food is pretty good, and the atmosphere is the good kind of casual (not stuffy, no tv's). Their oyster knowledge and selection are excellent, even if they are a little pricey.

I like it quite a bit, and it seems that it's also quite popular with the after work crowd on Fridays as well.

Hope you like it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:32 PM
effete latte-lifter

I went to $1 oyster happy hour at Red Door Bistro on tuesday and was impressed with the quality of the oysters (Brew Bros beer is still horrible though, and served from dirty tap lines to boot.) You cannot go wrong with that price/quality mix.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:32 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
It would be nice to see something survive in that location- it's been death and more death for some very good little restos.
Completely agree. This place is worthy of surviving for sure. The music for instance, will put you into a trance that is just about perfect for enjoying their cuisine.

And to Jeff, its right here:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&o...h&z=16&iwloc=A

Here is a link to their site. Fuck, I'm going there for lunch.
http://www.delicious-thai.com/therestaurant.html

Just for reference, I went to the King and I last night for the first time in a while. I had always thought they had some pretty reasonable food. Compared to Delicious Thai though, it was garbage presented in a POMO disaster, served by some folks who hardly seemed authentically Thai. Cute none-the-less, but not authentic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation